Cheap helmet foam liner

I totally forgot I had this, but about a year ago, I had placed an order online at 360skate (big online skateboard shop) for some parts for my skateboard and a little skateboard I was setting up for my niece.

Anyways, long story short - I had also purchased a Protec helmet liner for a an airsoft helmet I have. I bought a medium, but when i tried to install it in my airsoft helmet, it was too tight. I ended up tossing it onto a shelf where it sat for the last year.

I've been gathering parts and supplies for my build, and I knew I needed something for the liner. Bingo! Bust out the Protec liner, and whaddya know... it fits!

So for anyone that wants to go a step up from "chunks of random foam", here's an affordable liner you can use for TK helmets. The great part is that you can velcro it in place, and peel it off for washing after trooping.

-----

*ps: be aware or sizing, what fits you might not fit me. But here's a tip: when I was a teenager, I worked in a skateboard shop. If you bring your TK lid into a shop, i don't think the guys there will have a problem letting you test the helmet liner out in your lid before buying / ordering one. That way, you can find out what size fits you.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

I've scoured the web looking for a helmet liner. The best I was finding were either paratrooper helmet pad replacements ($$$) or for bicycle helmets (???). And then this simple yet elegant solution appears. Excellent catch! Thanks for sharing the find.

No problem, glad it was useful. I would also recommend putting a small block of foam where the top of your head sits, to prevent it from drooping too low. The reason they don't include that piece is because it's glued tot he helmet from the factory.

Derek: I'll snap some pics tonight. The kits comes with the velcro on the foam, but not the "hook" side if I recall correctly. That part is already inside the helmet, but as a trooper you MUST have some extra velcro kicking around. :)

Pics to come.