electronics help needed please

Hi guys and girls,

I recently purchased this

---------

I belive this is a viper mic.The pin it came with is too small to fit the rom fx so i cut it off,unfortunately when i tried to open up the pin to find out what coloured wires go to where the wires were molded in to the plastic surround so i couldnt tell.

I have opened up the push to talk switch where i found 3 wires going to the pin,Silver,green and red wires.I have attached them in various ways to a normal 3.5mm jack plug to fit the female pin for the rom fx but i am not getting anything through the speaker.I have contacted the makers to ask about the colour of the wires to the pin but they havn't been back in contact,i have fitted a new battery as the mic is battery powered but still nothing.Can anyone help :cry:

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

• 2 months later...

This may be too late altogether, but I'll throw in my 0.02 to see if I can help.

Typically in small audio, lapel mics, headphones, etc., the wires are color coded like this:

red = right

green = left

sliver/copper/plain= ground

usually they are also clear enamel coated, which is probably why you werent getting anywhere with your test connections..

take a really sharp blade and scrape at the bare wires to take off some enamel and try again. you may need to solder these to get decent connection.

wiring to a standard 3.5mm pin should go like this, moving from the tip back toward the base:

tip is left - green

ring is right - red

sleeve is ground

good luck!

feel free to ask if anything needs clarification!

:)

Sorry, seems like your throat mic may be a special case....

this thread seems to be a better source for some info on wiring this up correctly:

---------

looks like one of your colored wires is ignored because it runs to the speaker on your throat mic, and the other should be wired to your new pin tip, the sleeve, or ground remains the same, though.

you may want to PM kiyotei, as it seems he has experience with your situation.

sorry for any confusion!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working