some electronics help...

Yeah, I guess I should've asked, "is it normal for the battery to get super-hot".

I guess I wanted to be relatively sure that the 9V wasn't going to explode inside my bucket. That might ruin a troop. ;)

I often end up PMing Smitty... perhaps he'll see this thread...

Yeah, I guess I should've asked, "is it normal for the battery to get super-hot".

I guess I wanted to be relatively sure that the 9V wasn't going to explode inside my bucket. That might ruin a troop. ;)

I often end up PMing Smitty... perhaps he'll see this thread...

It sounds like you have the thing wired incorrectly. You have it wired as a dead short. This is why it is so hot.

This is the way it should be wired. 1st Hook the positive fan wire directly to the positive terminal of the 9 volt battery. Next hook the negative wire from the fan to one side of your on/off switch. You will need to add another short piece of wire and connect it to the other side of your on/off switch. Connect this piece of wire coming from the switch to the negative terminal om the battery. You should be good. You are using the switch to break the connection between ONE of the wires only, not both. Hope this helps

Also, make sure you are using a DC fan that is rated to work between 9-12 volts and not an AC fan.

• 3 weeks later...

LOL

That also happened to me..... i had the wireing wrong

look here:

-----------

best of luck!!!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working