A major life decision....

Ph1l2007

At soon to be 46, I really don't understand how in this "new" modern world we have, the "net", for the most part not too bad school's, free flow of info, that young ones still have this type of problem, if not more. I joind the military at 17(up here it used to be back in 81 within 3 months of your 18th b-day and your in) I didn't join to be cool, or hip, or what ever. I joind to be part of some thing bigger then myself. Some thing that had real world meaning, and not just to my own profit, but to contribute to the good of all. Right now I'm still going through some medical issues the will spell the end of my military career. And you know what? I am not sad about it at all. I have done my duty, served my people, even when most are mindless "libby" throw backs from the 60s! :P I joind at the beginning of the "it's all about me" thinking,cool kid's don't do that! (hint number one)! I'll pass on a few thing's to you. No I will not give the "Join the Army and be a man" crap. That's a load of stuff. I joind because I wanted too, not because my old man said too, or friend's said too, or who ever. I joind beacuse I wanted too. The military "life" fit me like a glove kind of thing. Don't be a card board cut out of what others think you should be. Be you. Get up every day and think, "I will be a decent man today". Sure, from time to time you may muck up a few things, just step back, take a big breath, try to fix the "mess" as best you can then go on. Just be "decent" and you should do ok. Oh and one more Big thing.....all ways buy RT-Armor!...heeheehee, ( no I'm not pushing the Canadian is best idea....it's just good armor! :D

Howdy Phil,

You've gotten tons of good advice from everyone, and I might point out that everyone that has responded "like wearing plastic armor", so obviously your NOT alone! :D

I , like most grew up with Star Wars ( I don't even remember how many times I made my dad take me to the drive in to see ANH) .

But in jr high I wasn't all that popular, I didn't play sports and girls wouldn't give me the time of day. High School came around and my mother and step father moved me to a small town about 45 min from Wichita. ( For reference....Wichita is the largest city in Kansas......the majority of KC is on the MO side, to a small farming community that didn't even have a McDonalds till my Senoir year) It was culture shock to say the least, but on top of that, I have had a full beard since 8th grade, and all the guys in Wellington were baby faced. So what this did was allienate me even more...........the rumor started going around that I was an undercover cop sent there to bust all their druggies. ( Too much 21 Jump Street if you ask me) And therefore I had exactly 2 friends for my jr and senior year of HS. But besides finding the rumor rediculously funny, I think it made me a better person for the very reason of NOT FITTING IN. I made my own decisions, and ended up like several of the responses above, not really caring what anyone thought. It makes you stronger, not physically but mentally.

I didn't go to college until I was 23...........got my EMT and then straight into MICT/Paramedic school and have worked in medical ever since till about a yr ago. And I started my own business that has nothing to do with medical!

It was either on here or on the 70th Explorers Garrison forum, that it was observed that the average age for most people building armor and joining was around 30-35 ( I think this is mostly since thats when we can afford this hobby) And with all the charity work, smiles that get put on both children and adult's faces................This hobby serves two fold.............we get to be Star Wars characters, and we do something for the communities.

Yes stay grounded, but also don't be afraid to be different!!!! It's those that are different that keep the world an interesting place! :D

Bill Gates is probably the biggest "nerd" that would fit the the meaning....................well look what he has done! ( okay XP was great, Im not a fan of Vista) :blink: But do ya really think he cares what the people in HS think of him? My guess would be a big NO

And remember the 501st Legion is WORLDWIDE....................so your FAR FAR from being alone and different!

Half of what Phil said I almost thought I typed myself. I have lived almost a parallel life to yours. Life has always be up and down but you have to remain yourself. As for wearing the armor, its often a surreal and euphoric feeling at times, even though the realization that part of society will think its childish. For me, its almost like the feeling of when I was 6 years old seeing Star Wars on the Big Screen again....so childish yes, but why not try to regain that childhood feeling regardless of what anyone thinks. Its the closed-mindedness of others that they don't want to relive childhood experiences and have to voice their opinion. Just take into account everything in moderation and realize to each his own.

Guys (and gals),

I have read almost all of your responses, and again, I do really appreciate the thought you put into them. Although I don't think I will have time to respond to each one of yours, the responses you gave have helped me put some things into perspective, so thanks again for the support and friendship.