Painting 3d printed helmet

Hey everyone, I know most everyone uses kits or a vacumforming method for their armor but I have a 3d printer and found some plans for the new Force Awakens helmet online. So I printed it out on my printer but of course it wasn't completly smooth so I'm using bondo to smooth it out. Working on sanding it write now but I wanted to know how I should paint it to get a glossy finish on the helmet. All the other posts on this say to use a Rustoleum proffesional enamyl spray paint, I have no problem using this but all the other paint jobs seem to be on ABS plastic or something similiar that already is smooth and fairly glossy.

Is there a better paint for the job? White primer? Should I sand after the primer, after I get the white on, and buff the clear?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer. I'll post some pictures of the helmet later (phone just took a swim).

If your interested the helmet files I used can be found here-http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1094858

look at this as a process. I've done a few pieces that were 3d printed and you'll be doing priming, sanding, re-priming, re-sanding until you have a completely smooth starting surface.

I did use some Bondo finish putty (~$3 in a tube at Wally World), but used sparingly.  After applications of your primer, you'll be doing topcoats followed by wet sanding.  Light and slow does it!

look at this as a process. I've done a few pieces that were 3d printed and you'll be doing priming, sanding, re-priming, re-sanding until you have a completely smooth starting surface.

I did use some Bondo finish putty (~$3 in a tube at Wally World), but used sparingly.  After applications of your primer, you'll be doing topcoats followed by wet sanding.  Light and slow does it!

Ok, that's what I thought I should do. What grit do you recommend going too? When I was restoring a car I sanded it down to 2000, is that ok or do I only need to go to 1000? 1500? When I did the car after I wet sanded at 2000 I buffed and waxed it. (didn't learn till then that there is a difference). Should I do the same for the helmet?

Thanks again for the help!

IMO: sand with 400 then 600 to take down the bumps, wash with dish detergent to remove oils, prime with a filler primer, sand again. If there's exposed spots from sanding prime with regular primer. Then base coat white, then gloss white. Let it dry a week, wet sand if needed. Stick to the same brands of paint and avoid humid days.