Tee-Bowls' CAP-W ANH Stunt build (aiming for Centurion)

Time for a major update!

First off I found the solution to my forearm problem. I decided to trim the inner forearm instead of the outer and the fit is much better than anything I've ever had.

So I had this potential set up for the belt. I figured the extra spacing would secure the belt and stop any potential wiggling.

IMG_2998_zpsizazsnjk.jpg

IMG_2999_zpsa30wokqi.jpg

IMG_3002_zpsgbdfrskp.jpg

IMG_3003_zpsbaal6sbn.jpg

IMG_3004_zpstj3jj8ut.jpg

IMG_3005_zpshltqha6q.jpg

So after designing the set up It was time to sand down all the pieces for the belt.

Everything set up for sanding. 

IMG_3008_zpsnqp44npk.jpg

The sanded TD pieces.

IMG_3009_zpsejllpuql.jpg

The sanded and rounded belt spacers.

IMG_3010_zpsvybbksit.jpg

The left drop box.

IMG_3011_zpssyydkst9.jpg

The right drop box.

IMG_3012_zpsicdaezi2.jpg

The left inner forearm.

IMG_3013_zps9hxlkhos.jpg

The left outer forearm. (The lines were from the previous trimming plan. They have since been erased.)

IMG_3014_zpsxnpfr6pa.jpg

The right inner forearm.

IMG_3015_zpsplyvvclg.jpg

The right outer forearm. (The lines were from the previous trimming plan. They have since been erased.)

IMG_3016_zpsqmt7uhyy.jpg

I then decided it was time to readjust the helmet. After a bit of trial and error I finally got it to a point I like.

IMG_3037_zpsvplpq9eo.jpg

The new right side of the helmet looking at it.

IMG_3038_zps8p7pme3a.jpg

The new left side of the helmet looking at it.

IMG_3039_zpsyemn82lw.jpg

So now it was time to start the ears!

IMG_3047_zps9l6kghwx.jpg

IMG_3052_zps2u4f2btd.jpg

Slightly finished ears that need to be sanded.

IMG_3054_zpsnckh4y6e.jpg

Fitting of the ears pre-sanding,

IMG_3065_zpsqvobppnc.jpg

After liking how everything looked it was time to drill the inner holes for the EAS.

IMG_3069_zpsbtqgytrn.jpg

IMG_3070_zpsoxmfn0bc.jpg

Then it was the ears turn to have the discs section sanded.

IMG_3071_zpsdnsbrawr.jpg

Fitting the sanded ears and added the Mic tips.

IMG_3073_zpsxeefzzpn.jpg

IMG_3074_zps8xhpcjby.jpg

After having everything sanded down it was time to start finishing the belt.

Punching holes for the belt. 

IMG_3076_zpstbaqdaui.jpg

Trying the screw with the spacer attached.

IMG_3077_zps2m0cbhfh.jpg

Gluing down the post part of the screw attachment.

IMG_3079_zpsgd9libaw.jpg

IMG_3080_zpsawvkljqi.jpg

All the holes punched.

IMG_3081_zpspabtfgu4.jpg

The front of the attached belt.

IMG_3082_zps4jzqx3ek.jpg

The back of the belt. After all that work I realized I didn't need the spacers I built.

IMG_3083_zpsephbpfhp.jpg

Next up was attaching the holster. I found a lovely graphic that had all the measurements on it to make sure it's in the right spot.

IMG_3089_zpsz2jannlz.jpg

How it hangs from the belt.

IMG_3090_zpseb2zgoit.jpg

Of course I couldn't wait to put my E-11 in the holster to see how it looked!

IMG_3091_zpshsj7hizw.jpg

Phew! That was suppose to be a few smaller updates but I was in a work zone and I kept going.  :peace:

If there's anything that needs to be fixed or I didn't add the right angles, photos, or anything like that let me know and I'll post them when I can.

Up next is heat molding the belt and drop boxes!

• 1 month later...

A major update for tonight! Over the month of September I realized I didn't like the bend of the belt so I tried to add snap to fix the problem. It didn't really change anything so I'm not going fight with it.

I did make my first set of snaps.

IMG_3155_zpsahbvul3s.jpg

IMG_3156_zpsnyxqcslm.jpg

IMG_3157_zpsvbsj8tow.jpg

IMG_3158_zps9lbbfieq.jpg

IMG_3159_zpsawvka3xt.jpg

IMG_3160_zpsqwgntfcb.jpg

IMG_3163_zpsypow0hwk.jpg

I also sanded down and shaped my posterior armor.

IMG_3193_zpsz5fwmfbu.jpg

I painted my mic tips black as well.

IMG_3194_zpsr0trgmtz.jpg

Now onto the start of my October updates.

I sanded down the inside parts of my helmet so I could Prime and plasti-dip the inside.

IMG_3487_zpsg7i6keyz.jpg

IMG_3488_zpsi9erz4gs.jpg

IMG_3543_zpslyxlyanf.jpg

I also taped everything up.

IMG_3547_zpscz4wk3p0.jpg

IMG_3548_zpseaeghulg.jpg

I also figured now was a good time to start priming/painting the old drop boxes to see how the process reacts with already painted pieces as well as painting the old shins to see how the process works.

IMG_3549_zpsyz9hdtqm.jpg

IMG_3550_zpsaeb8rqbx.jpg

The Primer.

IMG_3551_zps1ihhz94x.jpg

Everything Primed last night.

IMG_3554_zpsqxknis4e.jpg

The added Plasti-dip and the final layer of paint on the test objects that were sprayed tonight!

IMG_3564_zpsdbsfbef3.jpg

IMG_3565_zpsrs3dg4ot.jpg

IMG_3566_zps2qtle4hg.jpg

If this process works out I'll know what to do with my paint and try to get caught up on my building so I can try to make my end of the month goal!

• 4 weeks later...

So I made some major progress this month but due to circumstances such as illness I was unable to make my Halloween goal. I'm aiming for finishing sometime in November.

So back to my test paints, everything worked out much better than before. One change I'll be making for my actual armor is including some time for sanding/cleaning of the primed pieces. I spaced on it during the test process and I feel my pieces would've come out even better.  -_-

Here's an example of how it came out on the Right shin. 

IMG_3590_zpsnti32ewu.jpg

The Plastidip came out great on the inside of the helmet.

IMG_3591_zpsh0sldxb7.jpg

So moving on to the major update of items. 

It was Cover strip making time!

IMG_3600_zpshxnipqco.jpg

IMG_3601_zps0ljvuihw.jpg

IMG_3602_zpsna2iug9i.jpg

IMG_3604_zpseih1sp0u.jpg

Then came sanding/rounding off the cover strips.

The Right Forearm ready for gluing.

IMG_3619_zpsu6sbpc7o.jpg

The Left Forearm ready for gluing.

IMG_3621_zpsje9nmxv2.jpg

Both Shins.

IMG_3622_zpsx2eekquj.jpg

IMG_3623_zpszcnpt4zh.jpg

The Biceps

IMG_3626_zpscyrp8dle.jpg

IMG_3627_zpsu9cfcgie.jpg

Then it was time for gluing!

The Glued Biceps

IMG_3628_zps2z1o2zza.jpg

The Glued Forearms

IMG_3629_zpspgewloko.jpg

The Glued Shins

IMG_3647_zpstyza5rai.jpg

Then it was time to work on the Thighs!

What was trimmed of for my short legs.

IMG_3655_zpsb8nrbxvv.jpg

The thigh cover strips.

IMG_3678_zpswjrpjpjf.jpg

The sanded/rounded cover strips plus the bicep hooks.

IMG_3691_zpsb1cdpdzu.jpg

Then it came time to start of the kidney and ab plate shims.

IMG_3696_zpsuty7bnfn.jpg

IMG_3704_zpslzuxzl3v.jpg

I'm still working on the shims so I'll post pictures when I'm happier with them. This was just the inner support pieces.

The glued thighs.

IMG_3733_zpsibywrtya.jpg

Not a huge fan of the thighs and how thick a lot of my cover strips are so instead I'm going to be trying what HansDC did with his thigh fix on a majority of my pieces. It'll make it easier to fit my body into the different armor parts if I'm not stressing so much about the size of the cover strips plus I can hopefully get Centurion that way.

Fast forward to last Saturday I figured while I'm prepping to deconstruct and rebuild some parts I could start painting some of my other pieces and setting up locations for snaps/rivets/strapping.

Here's where I drilled the holes for the posterior armor snaps.

IMG_3773_zpsbgzsxdwc.jpg

All the pieces set out ready to primed.

IMG_3776_zpsoduxirmu.jpg

Right after everything was primed.

IMG_3777_zps0v6mgab9.jpg

Sunday morning after everything had dried.

IMG_3783_zpswzfavb9h.jpg

The plan for tonight is to re-sand these pieces so they'll be ready for the final coat tonight or tomorrow. There's plenty of work left to do but I feel this is the closest I've even been to finishing!  :peace:

If you notice anything that I can try to change or fix please don't hesitate to let me know! Yes my cover strips are super thick and i plan on changing them. The shims are not finished yet so please don't think they are. Other than that I'll get back to building!  :duim:

So last night after some light sanding with 600 grit sandpaper and cleaning of my pieces I decided it was time to make everything white and glossy! 

For the most part everything came out great!

IMG_3799_zps2i4v8m4l.jpg

However there were still some spots that "wrinkled/cracked" with the paint.

One of the TD end caps.

IMG_3800_zpsm6iqrcot.jpg

One of the shoulder straps.

IMG_3801_zpshwqad6o0.jpg

A little on the belt.

IMG_3802_zpsqpmzzlsg.jpg

IMG_3803_zpsmuigbpbe.jpg

Hopefully once everything is pretty dry I'll be able to sand it off and repaint. This whole spray painting for the correct glossiness has been super stressful.

Luckily one of the major sections that set me back looks like its going to dry and look great!

The face plate

IMG_3804_zpsir8msdqe.jpg

The cap/back

IMG_3805_zpsz2weiimi.jpg

I'll be adding detail work very soon and maybe have my first 100% finished piece!

Thank you! I try and take a picture for every step I take. Not only does it help me remember where I messed up, but it might help somebody else someday.  :duim:  I'm trying to live by the motto of this forum "Troopers helping Troopers".

Edited by Tee-Bowls
  • Like 1

So last night I was able to do a little work, not as much as I would've liked but I had to finish grading papers and writing a test. I was able to get some accomplished so that's the important part!

So the bad(ish) news first. I did have some pieces that had paint issues. The 'ish' part of the news is I was able to sand and scrape the old paint off so It's not terrible.

Old paint scraped off and sanded.

IMG_3810_zpst8iisqkw.jpg

The problem areas resprayed with primer. Hopefully everything will fill in correctly and look smooth.  :(

IMG_3811_zpsbhckimnx.jpg

The good news finally! All of the other pieces came out great!

IMG_3812_zpswpyzwmhu.jpg

I didn't really take a lot of pictures of these pieces yet but I will. I was excited about the helmet!  :peace:

Here is my helmet! I was so excited I had to snap a picture before I was even able to put the ears on.

IMG_3813_zpscbdc3jlg.jpg

Here are the attached ears.

IMG_3814_zpsxpjnpdzj.jpg

I also tried to glue my mic tip mesh. I'll probably have more to post tonight when I get home and get to work.

IMG_3815_zpsbxnsageg.jpg

If anything doesn't look right so far let me know! Thanks again for checking out my thread!

• 1 month later...

Well after a productive November and December I figured it was time for a major update! So be prepared with a major photo filled update!

Going back to some pieces that needed a respray. The turned out alright. I would rather have not messed up in the first place but I think it will be alright for the most part.

IMG_3819_zpsoo5jryb0.jpg

The belt in the middle is pretty much the worst part. The middle section is a little rough when looking directly at it but from far away it doesn't look that bad. 

IMG_3820_zpsdte0psbd.jpg

The shoulder strap came out alright too. I plan on sticking the messed up section towards the inner part of my neck and to the back so it isn't seen.

IMG_3821_zpslkjzznlr.jpg

As did the end cap for the TD.

IMG_3822_zpspvaspugn.jpg

I did trim/square up the teeth. Hopefully it's enough of a trim. I added in the frown mesh with velcro so if I need to trim more I can. 

IMG_3823_zps6kahsdci.jpg

I added the snaps to the bottom of the posterior armor.

IMG_3824_zpsm10kociu.jpg

Attachment of the shoulder bells to the chest section.

IMG_3971_zpsj3gtnk7j.jpg

For some reason all of my other photos did not transfer so I'll have to retake them/ post them later. The only one I have is a combination photo I posted on Facebook/Instagram of a partial test fit/helmet picture/original armor kit.

IMG_4157_zpsnsoperiz.jpg

Now the ab sections has been painted (sadly not shown here) and the kidney /posterior parts are attached with snaps. I'm still working on the biceps and thighs as well as the electronics for the helmet.

It's all a work in process still. 

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't shown beforehand because the pictures were lost but I had filled in the ab shims with apoxy and painted over them in a rush to finish. However the apoxy was still extremely visible and it created a very noticeable seam. At this point I'm still doing everything for Centurion but I'm not sure if I'll make it there. I've been working on the same set of armor for over a year and a half now. I'm ready to just finish so I can work on other projects. With that being said I did try to sand down the apoxy off of the shims and I plan on repainting them when the weather allows.

IMG_4139_zpsdfitseiz.jpg 

IMG_4140_zpsavgx3qkr.jpg

IMG_4141_zpsnt3wyt9v.jpg

IMG_4142_zpsnaphfxtn.jpg

I also wanted to try on my biceps and mess around while wearing them considering I have the full upper body at least put together. (Yes I know my biceps are on wrong). I've also attached the black straps for the shoulder bells/biceps.

IMG_4123_zpsed5wflyv.jpg

The action shot.

IMG_4125_zpsxegi5bfk.jpg

I've also realized my right forearm the wrist is pretty large and it causes the piece to slid around. I'm planning on fixing that as well.

For Christmas I received a Stormtrooper snuggie as a joke. However, it comes in handy when I want to stay warm while playing Star Wars Battlefront.

IMG_4100_zpshckrerin.jpg

It feels good to kickback and relax after a long day of blasting rebel scum!

IMG_4096_zps1cwphuz4.jpg

There is quite a lot of small tweaks that I need to make to fully finish off some pieces so I can start to see myself as a real TK soon. I hope to get more done as soon as I can.

• 2 months later...

As soon as I can turns out to be a few months later lol.  :laugh1:  Even through it's been some time I was still hard at work. Saving up my photos until I could make another major push and here it is!

Fist up was rebuilding the thigh. I started on the left first. After ripping off the old cover strips I had to rebuild the inner sections so I could attach a "Cover Strip".

IMG_4807_zpsd3wsnd4j.jpg

After creating the extension pieces I figured it would be a good time to give them a test fit.

Here is the front of the left thigh. Tape was definitely my friend.

IMG_4809_zps579qnoxm.jpg

The back of the left thigh.

IMG_4810_zpsb7ps2rci.jpg

The test fit. I didn't like the way it gave my leg extra space so I decided to taper the extension.

IMG_4813_zpsmcubviph.jpg

Here is the tapered product from the from.

IMG_4812_zpsqbfqypoo.jpg

I repeated the same process for the right leg. Here is is before the tapering.

IMG_5008_zpsik1djapz.jpg

After the tapering.

IMG_5038_zpsdpd0g7km.jpg

Now I did use the cover strip construction method however I didn't want such massive cover strips because it would look too weird. So instead I went hunting here on the forums and found a thread by HansDC and how he used apoxy to fill in the gaps to try and make it look like one piece connected by a false cover strip.

The false cover strips.

IMG_5047_zpshk0ycggj.jpg

Here is the front of the right thigh with the gaps filled in.

IMG_5048_zpseo9b9eik.jpg

The back of the right thigh with the gaps filled in.

IMG_5049_zpshvucuas0.jpg

The front of the left thigh with the gaps filled in.

IMG_5050_zpsn4j1jrdd.jpg

The back of the left thigh with the gaps filled in.

IMG_5051_zps8j5jnpfz.jpg

The front of the right thigh with the "cover strip" attached.

IMG_5052_zpsqdcnuzqf.jpg

The back of the right thigh with the "cover strip" attached.

IMG_5054_zpsn5iazc3s.jpg

The front of the left thigh with the "cover strip" attached.

IMG_5056_zpsdoia6dxc.jpg

The back of the left thigh with the "cover strip" attached. 

IMG_5057_zpsjmoln9rg.jpg

Then is was time for painting/Repainting a few sections. The repaint was for the sides of the ab section, kidney plate, and the new right forearm cover strips. The new cover strips for the right forearm was due to how loose it appeared/felt. So I remade it to fit better.

The painting for the first time was the new biceps, thighs, and ammo pack for the right thigh.

Here is everything after being primed.

IMG_5060_zpsqndqh9m8.jpg

Here is everything with the final coat.

IMG_5061_zpstdpo5khb.jpg

The dried thighs. 

IMG_5064_zpsbsi688oo.jpg

The ammo pack attached to the thighs (with the appropriate rivets) and the thigh strapping system from Pencap510.

IMG_5067_zpsxbj4etfg.jpg

The glued shoulder straps.

IMG_5068_zpsvazwrpfs.jpg

At this point I've pretty much finished the armor. :jc_doublethumbup:

So I figured it was time for a full armor test fit!  :smiley-sw013:

IMG_5069_zpsddxiy3lt.jpg

I know my thighs are hanging low. I'm getting a better set of compression pants to they fit up higher.

Here are some other photos I took just messing around.

IMG_5070_zpsvlqacyca.jpg

IMG_5071_zpsya9lorgi.jpg

Pulling out the big gun (DLT-19)!

IMG_5075_zpsbwymgxvd.jpg

And finally one with my bucket off.

IMG_5077_zpsrmptlt9p.jpg

My TD fell off but I couldn't stoop down to pick it up  :laugh1: . Hopefully I'll "break" the armor in and be able to move easier as time goes on.

There are still some minor things I need to fix. My right shoulder strap broke off or came off rather, so I'll be re-gluing that along with touching up some spots with paint. I'm disappointed in myself over the thighs. I feel that they didn't come out the way I wanted them too. I doubt I'll be able to make anything but basic approval because of them which sucks because I've done everything else, but I understand . Probably at a later date I'll either buy a new pair or completely start over on a new set. However I'm proud that I stuck with it and continued to work even though I experienced setbacks. It's been a long time coming and I'm so close to finally joining the 501st!!! :salute:

Although now I'm already starting to plan the next set of armor!  :laugh1:

Edited by Tee-Bowls