U.S. Newcomer

Hi all:

As the subject suggests I am a newcomer in the U.S. trying to get started with things.  I've taken time to read many of the tagged posts about types of armor and where to acquire them and my local legion site hasn't offered anything additional (sorry I haven't read all of the old posts).  The threads about armor types seem a bit dated and some of the other newcomers have expressed some frustration in contacting kit makers.  I think with my body build I'd probably be a good fit for the ANH derived kits.  

I understand the difficulty of "advertising" for kit makers.  If anyone could update me (PM may be good for this) on the active kit makers and help me get introduced more to the culture so I don't commit a faux pas I would be very thankful.

Cheers! 

P.S. - What type of libations are the favorite among off-duty stormtroopers? 

Hey Onc, welcome to the FISD....patience and lots of research go a long way! Don't get discourage....best place is the getting started section. Also, mention how tall and stuff you are and members can give you input on what various armor kits would work best for you. Best of luck in your TK journey!

Thanks for the welcome.  I'm 5' 10" and 150 lbs which is why I thought the ANH derived kits mentioned in the tutorial may work best.  

I apologize if this seems like a "where to I buy armor?" thread.  As you know everything is a bit hypothetical until you actually start making something; it can actually be hard to even formulate questions properly to search for more information in the archives.  I'm just looking for that initial nudge in the right direction and am intimidated by some of the frustrated posts I've read about people in similar situations trying to get started.

We're similar in size so I would suggest AP armor. I'm sure someone else will have some suggestions. I have AP and love it. I don't know what the wait list time is these days but I went with them when I first started last year cause the wait time was the least along with the size.

A lot of things can be intimidating here at first but we've all been there :)

Greetings Andrew, and welcome to the FISD!!!

More important than height and weight, when considering armor kits, is your waist measurement. That's the principal difference in some of the kits that are available. Nearly all of the kits are ANH derived, so based on your general size you shouldn't have any issues with most of them, but there are some that are fan-sculpted that cater to taller or larger troopers. Kits can always be cut down, but they cannot be lengthened, and the girth won't fit without shims if it is too small, and it's best to get a kit that won't need shims.