Return Edges

Hi guys,

Been reading around and looking at threads to try and get info on return edges for screen accurate looking armor.  I ended up confusing myself in the gallery and what I was seeing in some other build threads. Finally came to terms with making a specific post to ask.  Perhaps you can guide me to a thread I missed with this information or post info or pics on what I needed to figure out.  I'm working on a T/MC armor set as an ESB trooper.  I eventually want to go centurion if I can. My questions:  Which pieces of the armor should have a return edge on them?   I realize I may have to adapt and make my own on some pieces like the butt piece on this particular armor set.  If I do this, how far out in mm is the return edge itself in most cases?   Which return edge parts apply to an EIB or centurion application?  Just want to get that right.  My apologies if i missed a topical thread specific to this subject.  I just couldn't find it and needed a little push for help.  Thanks so much for the help!

Hi

i did the return edges on my Armor

here the link:

http://www.501st.de/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=1071&rowstart=20

Try it first on a single pice of ABS that you see how to adjust your iron and how long you have to hold the iron to the plastic and in which angle.

I tempered my iron in that way taht i have to hold it about 30 Seconds to the plastic and then the plastic starts to get smooth and i can bend it.

Don't forget to put a pice of canvas or cotton between the plastic and the iron or the plastic will melt and glue on the iron :-(

• Like 1

If you are asking about trimming the return edges of the screen used kits the isn't one set length in mm. They were trimmed according to the size of the wearer. One good rule of thumb is to make sure you have 1 finger space all around where your limbs are concerned. When applying for Centurion, make the the return edge of the forearms (where the wrists are) have no return edges.

Best is to post pictures on your fitting so we can see how much you'd need to trim. I suggest you do that first before making a mistake you can't undo :)

Edited by evan_loh

My buttplate bottom area (where it connects to the crotch) has almost no return edge so as to not cause discomfort when walking. Likewise on the crotch area of the ab plate I trimmed the return edges so as to not cause discomfort in the groin area when trooping.

If you're going for the original bracket strapping method, leave a bit of return edges on the chest, back and kidney plates for the bars and bolts.

I was going to try and do the original strapping method on the pieces that would require the return edges - at least on the backside.  I wasn't sure which other pieces would also have those edges or need to have the return edges on them. Haui and Evan, thank you for these tips.  It appears I will have to create return edges on a few of these pieces and I'd probably better experiment some first before I attempt this.  

• 3 weeks later...

So yesterday the weather was fine an i used my iron again.

trooperbeimbuegeln1.jpg

Here the results:

The shoulderparts before and after

schulervergleich.jpg

Zoom in

schulterdetail.jpg

And together with the biezeps

schulteroberarm.jpg

The backplöate befor and after

rueckenvorher.jpg

rueckendetail.jpg

The abdomen