Does jackofoam work?

I've never heard of jackofoam, so I looked it up.  It's extruded polystyrene.  In the U.S., that material is typically used as house insulation.  I've actually carved many things from extruded polystyrene using a hot knife.  You can also use expanding urethane foam (like Great Stuff) as an adhesive to stick sheets together.  It makes a mess, but it's a nice material for carving.  Once you've got your sculptures done, then you could coat it with something to smooth it out, then use it to make a mold.

Off topic for this forum, but I carved this guy from EXAPNDED polystyrene (regular styrofoam) for a party.

It carves fast and I only spent about 3 days on this project.  Extruded polystyrene carves better and you can make more intricate details.

I sealed it with StyroSpray hard coating to make it weatherproof and strong (I can stand on it) and he lives at a friend's house next to a swimming pool now.

---------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021