Laws hdpe helmet

Looks nice! I've been looking forward to your updates. This could be how SFS looked before the princess blasted him ;)

Leaving the bottom untrimmed til the last part of the build is a good idea. Trim only what's necessary when it's necessary a good rule of thumb in my book. By doing so you can ensure there's sufficient material below each ear to allow a good fit for the S-trim (assuming you do not choose to overlap the bottom of the ear with the S-trim). And you can leave plenty of undercut, trimming just enough to be able to comfortably take the helmet on and off.

After trimming be sure to leave about an inch extra length on the S-trim so that the tension will keep it in place.

Have fun at celebration 2015!

For stunt I've seen more examples of the S-Trim just below the ear, not overlapping onto it.  In my experience the S-trim stays in place better when just below the ear.

It looks like you're matching the SFS screen helmet in this build; the best photos I've seen close-up of it are at http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-ANH-Stunt-Stormtrooper-armor-helmets.htm

Edited by bpoodoo

You make the BEST helmets, Nick!  Thanks for sharing.  :)

The detail on that vocoder is SICK!

Hi Aaron, These helmets have some great details. Hows your build going? 

For stunt I've seen more examples of the S-Trim just below the ear, not overlapping onto it.  In my experience the S-trim stays in place better when just below the ear.

It looks like you're matching the SFS screen helmet in this build; the best photos I've seen close-up of it are at http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-ANH-Stunt-Stormtrooper-armor-helmets.htm

David, I use that site a lot for reference. Great stuff there.

Hi Aaron, These helmets have some great details. Hows your build going?

My OCD inspired hero build is getting closer and closer everyday.

I think I've spent a grand total of 2 weeks (in daily 1-2 hour sessions) with all the hand-painted details.

ALSO, I was nearly out of bubble lenses ;) ...all I've got left are 'B' grades, so I made more...but a little different this time.

As you well know, the eyes are slightly different shapes - asymmetrical.

I'm doing FULL detail inside the helmet, including the details from the Star Wars cut-away book.

I wanted the lenses to be symmetrical, so I redesigned a "hybrid" version of the bubble lens.

I basically laid the templates on top of each other and traced a smooth curve around both.

Now, I can use these lens blanks for either left or right since they're symmetrical.

I also made the flanges SLIGHTY larger around each of the 3 corners to allow for mounting hardware.

I'm using the little nuts off a computer serial cable pressed into custom milliput standoffs.

I'll post pictures in my build thread as soon as I get the new lenses bubbled and installed...

Edited by usaeatt2

My OCD inspired hero build is getting closer and closer everyday.

I think I've spent a grand total of 2 weeks (in daily 1-2 hour sessions) with all the hand-painted details.

ALSO, I was nearly out of bubble lenses ;) ...all I've got left are 'B' grades, so I made more...but a little different this time.

As you well know, the eyes are slightly different shapes - asymmetrical.

I'm doing FULL detail inside the helmet, including the details from the Star Wars cut-away book.

I wanted the lenses to be symmetrical, so I redesigned a "hybrid" version of the bubble lens.

I basically laid the templates on top of each other and traced a smooth curve around both.

Now, I can use these lens blanks for either left or right since they're symmetrical.

I also made the flanges SLIGHTY larger around each of the 3 corners to allow for mounting hardware.

I'm using the little nuts off a computer serial cable pressed into custom milliput standoffs.

I'll post pictures in my build thread as soon as I get the new lenses bubbled and installed...

I saw your hero helmet and it looks great.