Enthusiastic newbie wanting help on JR (sorry you read it right) upgrade

RichTrooper

feel I must admit to the sin 1st off, please do not judge me people :-/

I wanted to build my own trooper kit for a while now but not being particularly craft handy I scoured eBay for a basic/cheap kit to basically play around with and test out. I managed to find what I was the perfect thing for the price I paid
Sadly when I opened the box it had a sworn enemy sticker placed in its helmet......JEDI ROBE!!!! (I've already whipped myself hard)

The kit itself is actually in excellent condition but obviously it's not ideal (but like I said it was cheap enough to use as a practice model)
Just wondering what modifications it would need to bring it up to proper spec etc
Not looking to formally troop yet as just starting out
Any help, ideas or directions would be most welcome

Here's a few pics to start with, not entirely sure what is needed though
I know about the wrong boots etc (comes with Elvis boots) the butt joints to the legs too but on reading some of the stuff on here I'm looking at the depths of the chest and ab plates....
I'm looking at splitting the kidney/butt plate to make up the stunt costume (as can been seen in the helmet pic, that's what's been supplied)

post-19969-138861350861_thumb.jpg post-19969-138861352106_thumb.jpg post-19969-138861353005_thumb.jpg post-19969-138861353894_thumb.jpg post-19969-138861354652_thumb.jpg post-19969-138861355919_thumb.jpg

Already doing away with the straps, the guy I got it from was much shorter than me so way too short (looking at a strapping kit from rspropmaster)
Eyeing up the kidney plate split, just need the right tool. Any recommendations?

Not looking at trooping right away, it's more a hobby to get my interest peaked then I'll sort a proper kit out
Still, any help is very much appreciated. Be brutal if you want. I deserve it lol

I've compiled some tools and accessories to aid me but where the heck do I start?!
I've looked and downloaded the guideline spec off of the 501st site for the stunt version I'm trying for

Looking at the spec I don't appear to have anything major to do (no doubt I'll be corrected here........)

My main concern is transforming the "overlap" in the JR suit to the "butt joint" on most of the pieces

I'm probably aiming a bit too high here but I'm enthusiastic enough to reach for the level 2 certification and my other worry is measurements
I'm 6'2" (185cm) and 14 1/2 stone (90kgs)
There are some exacting measurements that I'm not quite sure I'll achieve

"Help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope"

Two words... Death Trooper... I fell into the JR trap as well. I rectified the situation buy purchasing an RS kit, then went for the crown jewel, TM...

I have seen a Rubbies kit quite recently get EIB, but it looked like it wasn't easy. I have been entertaining the idea of modifying my JR, but, I'm really leaning towards the DT...

Just my $0.02

I don't know about yours, but mine has plenty of "slack" so that I could trim the pieces, and assemble correctly. All I need is some ABS cover strips. As far as the chest , ab, back and cod, we would need to split the back , then assemble with rivets ,, straps and so forth.

Not really a big under taking when you think about it.... Lets do it...

Trooper Bay, MTK search for him on here or on the web. He has lots of goodies, and a reputable vendor. I would imagine that the straps do not need to be screen accurate for approval on a DT. But it wouldn't hurt to ask around.

My kit fits well also, but I have just enough room to cut off the overlap, then butt joint, and add a cover strip.

You Got me really moving forward with this build...

Of course, you could build your own straps. Buttons, strapping and such.

I've looked at the build thread for 501st clearance and it still seems quite specific though   :(

You reckon i could use the straps i got with the JR kit? Before i chose my angle i got a bunch of luggage clips and already started to use the existing strapping so i could get the costume on and off easier (the velcro is way to fussy for 1 person to do it)

I'll take a look at Trooper Bay then, see how it goes from there

I think also, for basic approval, the JR strapping would be ok, now step up to EIB or Centurion, then you would need to have the accurate strapping . I am not 100% sure but hopefully someone will chime in and help us out.

Notice how everyone stays away from JR, even the posts about it... Like its infected with the plague or something...lol...

That's why we gotta make it a DT, cause its infected.

My JR is on a mannequin display in my office. I still like it, pristine and shiny... It still makes me smile. It's going to be hard to kill it , but its going to be so cool...

Edited by Cantina Security

I've looked at the build thread for 501st clearance and it still seems quite specific though :(

You reckon i could use the straps i got with the JR kit? Before i chose my angle i got a bunch of luggage clips and already started to use the existing strapping so i could get the costume on and off easier (the velcro is way to fussy for 1 person to do it)

I'll take a look at Trooper Bay then, see how it goes from there

Is it a velcro straps system?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Why don't you try the snap system with the buckles?

I made a suspender that are holding with snaps on the ab and kidney plate. Everything else is olding with webbing and snaps.

(I have an original FX, so it's pretty much the same armor)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by Tolo

Sorry yes thats the words "snap sytem"

I'm already making my own with the existing straps and brought some buckles (which actually worked out a hell of a lot cheaper than contacting JR for theirs!!)

I'm just not confident in cutting the kidney/butt plate

Also thinking of making it into a "onesie" type thing where everything is join and i just slip into it. I'm not too worried about authenticity at the moment as eventually (once my RS comes through) I'll be transfroming it into a DT so 501st spec is not ultimately the goal......yet