Newb modeler DVH E-11 build

sekullbe

What have I gotten myself into here...  Actually it doesn't seem too difficult- just a lot of detail on each piece I need to sort out, and then putting all the bits onto the pipe using the template oughtn't be too difficult. So far for me the hardest part is figuring out just what to trim- there are a lot of parts with excess and while it's not hard to remove I'm not always certain what I should be removing.

I'm hoping to provide here a picture of each piece before and after trimming- that'll help me now and hopefully anyone in the future with the same questions.

I've already done some simple trimming and chopped off some of the mold plugs with a dremel cutting wheel, but there's a lot left to do and I haven't done anything non-obvious yet. I don't have any good reference photos on the trimmed, pre-assembly parts so if someone knows where I might find one I'd appreciate it. The build threads I've seen have glossed over that, so maybe all this is obvious to people with more experience than me :)

Starting with the inner grip:

inner_grip_trim.jpg

The screw on the right hand side is supposed to go through a hole in the outer grip, but it can't slip on like that. I'm just going to shave it off and replace it with a real metal screw after painting. It's just a 1/4" rounded head screw, and I live near a hardware store that won't make me buy a pack of 100. (Going to do the same with all the screws including the hex ones at the muzzle.) The other side has a little lever or pin that'll need the same treatment. To trim this, I'm thinking that I want to remove basically everything above and outside of the flat edge. It doesn't really show the 3D shape in the photo, I fear.

The top of it, where it's going to meet the pipe, is flat. Any better ideas how to deal with that than to put a big sanding wheel on my dremel and grind the [EWOK] out of it, until it's a nice concave shape?

The magazine well:

The angle makes it hard to see, but it kind of flares out where it would attach to the pipe. 2nd picture makes it more clear.

magwell-trim.jpg

2013-07-28%252022.49.07.jpg

I believe I'll trim flush with the box shape, on all four sides, and then gouge out the top until it's concave for the pipe.

Anyone who's built one of these see where/if I'm going wrong?