NEWSLETTER: August 2010

Debater2nd

August 2010 FISD Newsletter

Greetings Troops!

There is quite a lot going on in FISD!

Costume Reference Library

The 501st Legion CRL project is almost complete for the two ANH costumes, and we're just waiting on the final word from the LMO to take them live. Once that is done, the ESB and Heavy Weapons Trooper CRL's should be live about a week after that, and we anticipate the ROTJ Stormtrooper CRL being live before the end of August. With only the Stormtrooper Commander and Incinerator Trooper costumes left, we're on track to get all of our CRL's done this quarter. A huge thanks to the Imperial Propaganda Machine who has been hard at work getting these together.

Poll-a-rama

There are also a bunch of polls for detachment members to vote on this month:

1) OPEN BINDING POLL: Lightsabers and TK's

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=11873

2) OPEN BINDING POLL: SE-14R on which costumes

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=11874

3) OPEN BINDING POLL: Space Packs

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=11875

4) OPEN BINDING POLL : Splitting the ANH EIB criteria in two

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=11876

We should also note that via unanimous vote, the EIB requirements for Heavy Weapons Troopers no longer the E-11 as a qualifying weapon.

EIB Program

We've only added two Expert Infantryman since last month. If you are close to achieving this standard, please feel free to ask for any help in getting the final details completed. While EIB status doesn't entitle you to additional privileges in the Legion, it does entitle you to the purchase an EIB-only gold coin and rocker tabs. Alas not a cure for 'armor bites', but at least they're good ways to show a little pride in your accomplishment. Let's face it - our kit gets banged up a bit over time. As long as you're repairing it, why not hit EIB along the way? The standards are surprisingly easy to get - check it out!

http://www.whitearmor.net/home/requirements.html

With unquestioned loyalty,

Paul "Daetrin"

TK-8020

Repair and Refit

Every month in the FISD newsletter, we will feature tutorial and tip threads that we feel troopers should be aware of because of their uniqueness, excellence, and relevance.

The featured tutorials for May are:

How To: Taking a Rest, Elstree Studio Style

Written by firebladejedi

Everyone needs a break, especially now that Con season is here.

How To: Stand Like a Stormtrooper

Written by Dmian

This is a great study for improving that "movie accuracy" we are all seeking. We always want to be photogenic, and this can help!

From the XO's Desk

Alright troops, FISD trading cards are a go.

The FISD is proud to announce that ordering is currently underway for FISD trading cards. These cards are open to all Legion approved stormtroopers and the FISD propaganda team will do all the photo editing work for you to make your card look spectacular. Legion stormtroopers can find the trading card area here: http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showforum=60, for all the non Legion stormtroopers access is restricted.

Prices are as follows and does not include shipping and fees:

1000 cards - $31.00A

2500 cards - $52.00

5000 cards - $67.50

And to preview the FISD trading cards check out the links.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u173/terrellrguard/FISD/TKCARDFRONT.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u173/terrellrguard/FISD/TKCARDBACK.png

There is time to get your cards delivered before Dragon Con and CV, but don't wait order now.

With Unquestioned Loyalty,

Terrell (TK-1787)

Imperial Security Report

I’m happy to report that there have been no serious cases of misbehavior on the boards over the past couple of months – thank you! That’s not to say we haven’t had a few vigorous debates – the AP vs TM thread comes to mind - but we are as a group are both knowledgeable and passionate about stormtroopers, and such debate is healthy and to be encouraged. As the DL said in that very thread, it allows new facts to come to light. As long as we remain respectful of the forum and each other, we can only profit from such debates. I’ve also noticed a drop in the number of WTB armor/helmet threads on the open forums – again, thank you. You make my job boring – and as any combat soldier, beat cop, EMT, etc. who has seen plenty of action will tell you, boring is good.

On a different note, I’m very much looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible at Celebration 5 next month in Orlando. The Communications Officer and I are working on an FISD armor presentation that will showcase what you all have done, and how good your costumes really are. I’d love to see as many white armor-wearing FISD members present as possible – the only thing more impressive than a stormtrooper is lots of stormtroopers. The more, the better!

Again, thank you for being the great bunch you are, and making my job not only easy, but a pleasure.

Brian "tkrestonva"

TK-2918

For Imperial Eyes Only

Intelligence Officer status report

Greetings troopers, looks like it's been a busy month on the FISD! On the intelligence front, several areas have been updated on the FISD Academy site. For those that haven't visited yet, the Academy site the is a great reference and resource area, and is a key starting point for the FISD Detachment especially for those that are new to the detachment, 501st Legion and specifically interested in Stormtrooper costuming, armor and assembly.

The FISD Academy site is located here

White Armor Academy site

Newly updated this month is the "Leg" section tutorials (thighs and shins). This article covers the various assembly methods for the thighs, as well as techniques and tips for attaching the battery packs to the right thigh, and knee plate to the left shin.

Leg Assembly overview

I've also been continuously working on the E-11 Blaster pages. Newly updated this month are articles on replica blasters (which covers resin cast, Sci-Fire / Hyperfirm, and Master Replicas blasters)

Replica Blasters

Also updated is an article on deactivated Sterling conversions.

Deactivated Sterling Conversions

Tips of the month

An informative thread on the sizes of various helmet makers

Helmet sizing

Having a hard time identifying which are the left and right arm parts of your "screen lineage armor"? This diagram should help:

Identifying arm armor

How to make your thigh tops have that "ANH style" look with the defined notch.

How to make your thigh tops ANH style

So you've completed your armor, but how should you stand and pose for pictures? Dmian started a great thread on "How to stand like a Stormtrooper"

How to stand like a Stormtrooper

On the Intelligence officer front, I've started another project (even though I have several others still to complete!).

As a loyal member of the FISD, I will always have TK's close to my heart, and I know our Detachment Leader Daetrin has been encouraging us to apply and increase those Expert Infantry (EIB) trooper submissions. But I decided it was time to join the dark side... and help MEPD increase their number of Deployed Troopers. :)

I have always liked the Sandtroopers and their weathered look, so in June I began my TD build! This won't just be a standard TD, I want to replicate the "Stop that Ship!" trooper that appears in Docking Bay 94. Here's the current build thread on the MEPD forums.

Stop that ship!

But don't worry faithful troopers, rest assured that FISD intelligence will remain on the FISD.

Remember: Loose lips sink Star Destroyers!

Terry / Pandatrooper

FISD Intelligence Officer

Imperial Commissary

Patches Galore!

The summer FISD patch run is now closed and orders are starting to ship. We completely sold out of EIB rockers and more are on order. I'll be bringing stock to C5 for those that missed out and want to buy in person.

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=11795

As a reminder - FISD decals are now also available.

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=11261

As are the final 22 EIB only Gold Challenge Coins. Once they are gone, they're gone until the next coin run which won't be until next year. A good incentive to get that EIB knocked out!

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=11059

Wyatt (TK-4205)

Celebration News

Brian (tkrestonva) and Dan (Debater2nd) have been hard at work creating the white armor costume panel for C5. The panel is scheduled for 1:30 PM on Saturday, and will be a combined "OT Troopers" panel, and will include TK, TS, TD, and TB armors.

There will also be an official FISD photo shoot at C5, with the final details still be ironed out by our very own Steve Carter (TK4999).

From the Communications Officer

"When it's hard to troop."

We all know the standard party line, "Troopers helping troopers," and we also know that this is "a hobby," although I would point out that there are few hobbies that require this level of both financial commitment and determination to participate in, but what everyone here also knows is that there are times that this hobby is hard to do, and that's when you start asking yourself for reasons to continue. I've been through that, and, to be honest, I'm still there now. The last few months have been pretty hard for me. I have been out of work for over a year, which is stressful in of itself, and the money situation is a constant struggle. I went back to school to get a graduate degree, in the hopes that a better degree would mean an easier time finding work, and thus far, have seen a lot of academic work and time away from my family with no return. Finally, my heart condition flared up again, which means more medication, and last week, I had a stint in the hospital, which is always fun for everyone. All of this means that my trooping has been severely reduced, which means that my level of motivation is in the toilet. Additionally, my TK needs a pretty good amount of work, and my TB is unwearable until I can put together the money for a new helmet...just one more aggravation. Pretty depressing, eh?

What I found myself asking was "Why do I keep trying to do this hobby, when I have so many other things going on?" The answer was clear...because it's fun, because it's allowed me to make friends both locally and across the globe, and because I have the opportunity to wear something cool and help other people while I do it. Just because it's hard now doesn't mean it always will be, and we as FISD members do a lot of good, probably good that we don't even know about. The work that we do with charity walks, scout organizations, hospitals, and Toys for Tots means a lot to our communities, and in a world that is full of bad news, we bring something to the table that is unquestionably good. I've heard people say that we just waste our time at Cons...not true! Think about all the smiling faces that you've taken photographs with...is that wasting your time? When we give our young people role models to look up to that isn't all about drugs or all the other things that are so prevalent in our societies, is that wasting our time?

When you get right down to it, Star Wars is a story about hope, and in my opinion, that can't ever be a bad thing. So, to close, I am looking forward to and hoping to troop with you all again soon!

With unquestioned loyalty,

Daniel "Debater2nd"

TK-2618

FISD Communications Officer

This post has been promoted to an article