Installing a hard hatliner in your AP bucket?

Hey guys, ok i did a search and couldnt find any info on this though i know it was discussed a billion times.

I decided to tear down my AP bucket and rebuild it. i had foam padding in it and it was completely lined with felt. Sounded like a good idea at the time, but i found it to be hard to keep clean and a little warm sometimes due to all the padding on my head..and the felt didnt help either lol.

So i took the whole thing apart, removed all the felt and padding and painted the inside with textured paint (to hide any imperfections from leftover hot glue residue and such) I reassembled it slightly different (i wanted the brow a little higher) and i want to install the hard hat liner rather than the foam padding, but i cant for the life of me figure out how to do it properly. So before i mess up my newly re-done helmet, i figured id ask the experts!

Any help or links to threads would be great! thanks troops!

...AND...

Try to velcro the cutout hard hat sections in FIRST (before gluing them in permanently).

Get the fit right, outline the parts with a pencil. Remove the velcro, and glue those puppies!

Edited by jawa001

Or do like I did and line most of your helmet with the soft side of the velcro so you can reposition it or change it out completely if you decide to do something else. I went velcro crazy and even have my lense material velcro'd in place lol.

I just took the liner and hot-glued it in. If you get one wrong, you can just give it a good snap and the glue will break free. Once it is where you want it, cut some strips of industrial velcro with the adhesive backing (fuzzy side) and put those over the four points of contact for extra strength.

I just took the liner and hot-glued it in. If you get one wrong, you can just give it a good snap and the glue will break free. Once it is where you want it, cut some strips of industrial velcro with the adhesive backing (fuzzy side) and put those over the four points of contact for extra strength.

Yeah, I like the idea of just attaching the liner without the parts from the hard hat. Because the outside of the HH pieces don't fit flush to the inside of your bucket, since that is where the HH's visor usually begins. But if (like you said) cover those HH pieces corner to corner, it works very well. And it's less work, easier make adjustments, etc. Just make sure you get the industrial strength stuff, it's good and sticky.

Edited by jawa001