NEWSLETTER: March 2010

March 2010 FISD Newsletter

What's Happening at the FISD

by Daetrin

Site Upgrades Complete

Our forum upgrades are now complete and we hope you like our new home. In addition to moving from IPB2 to IPB3 which allows great new features like threaded PM's, we've also updated the theme of the site in celebration of the 30th anniversary of Empire Strikes Back. A big thanks to Aaron (Synaptyx) for making this happen and creating the new site look. :salute: As always we appreciate any feedback on how we can improve the site moving forward, so please feel free to hit up the Tech Support forum for all your suggestions.

FISD Academy Launched

It gives me great pleasure to announce the launch of FISD's very own Academy site which we hope will make it easier for you to find the content you're looking for. With almost 130,000 posts spread out over the forum, FISD is no longer a new detachment. There are 851 topics alone in the area devoted to Assembly, Mods, and Painting. It can be hard enough for us veterans to find what we're looking for, much more so for people new to the hobby. As reaching out and helping troopers is our mission in life, it was time to take FISD to the next level.

The Academy is designed to making finding the content you need easier, faster, and in more detail. Updated CRL's for each costume have been created complete not only with visual references, but also with the ability to download them all as a zip to make it easier for people to have local copies. A complete list of every TIP and HOWTO article posted is part of the main navigation, allowing people to quickly find a list of the best armor building ideas in one place.

The main goal of the site though are the Tutorials: Armor, Blaster, Electronics. We intend to describe every element of the stormtrooper costume: what it is, how it fits together, quick links to related tutorial threads and even a short list of vetted sellers for some items that we all need such as neckseals, belts, and gloves. Everything you need, conveniently in one place!

The real strength of FISD is in it's members and their willingness to embrace the motto of "troopers helping troopers". We really hope you guys like the Academy - it may be small now but then FISD started with one post too. :)

Incinerator Trooper is now Official

Last week the Legion Membership Officer - Thomas Spanos - approved the Legion's first Incinerator Trooper. Congratulations to Lachlan (TK-8226) of Redback Garrison!

A proposed CRL has been posted on FISD for consideration of the membership. EIB standards for this costume have also been proposed. Please be sure to take a look and let us know what you think.

Celebrating our 100th EIB

On March 1st FISD officially reached our first 100 EIB troopers. Starting from a vision in 2006 when the standard were first published, we've now awarded our 100th EIB. This is a significant milestone in our hobby and for FISD, as it demonstrates that these standards are achievable on most every variety of armor make, and by many troopers across the world. Congratulations to Robert Kittell (TK-7143) for being our 100th member!

My thanks also to each and every one of our EIB recipients both for your hard work and for setting an example of how good the TK can be. Stormtroopers are still the backbone of the Legion and we should be proud of our costume.

We're also looking forward to our next 100 EIB carrying the torch in to the future. While the OT has been extensively covered, we expect to see Heavy Weapons Troopers, Stormtrooper Commanders, and the newest FISD member, Incinerator Troopers, appearing this year.

And for those that choose not to go full EIB, remember that you are always full members of FISD! Whether you are happy with base standards or decide to dial up your kit just a bit, we're all on the same team.

With unquestioned loyalty,

Paul

"Daetrin"

TK-8020

Repair and Refit

Every month in the FISD newsletter, we will feature tutorial and tip threads that we feel troopers should be aware of because of their uniqueness and excellence. Keep an eye out for this feature, because we’ll be asking you who to tell us who you’d like to see featured in the coming editions.

The featured tutorials for March are:

How to Pimp a Blaster, Billhag Style

Written by Billhag

This is an excellent look at how to take a Hyperfirm (and this tutorial could be applied to other types of blasters as well) and modify it for that additional “wow” factor that we all love. The clear directions, as well as pictures and illustrations, make this a tutorial that any trooper looking to take their weapon to the next level won’t want to ignore.

How to Remove a Bad Paint Job

Written by Sonnenschein

This tip thread, although short, is a must read for anyone who has ever wrestled with the problem of removing paint. This is a perfect example of a thread that deals with a concrete problem that most troopers have, at one time or another, had to deal with.

Meet the Staff

Each month we will feature a staff member, and give them the opportunity to tell the FISD a little bit about themselves. Since they spend so much time here on the boards, we want you to get a sense of who is behind the names you keep seeing! This month’s featured staff member is Brian Robinson, the FISD Provost Marshall.

Name: Brian Robinson

TK-ID: 2918

Garrison & Detachment(s): Garrison Tyranus and the FISD

Length of Service: 2 years - Shevacon 2008 was my very first troop, and this weekend marked my second anniversary trooping!

Costumes (approved): TK

Costumes (in work): HWT, Imperial Officer, 501 Ep 3 clone

Other hobbies: Bodybuilding, karate, Parkour, being a husband & father

Fun Facts: I'm completely immersed in all things space - I'm an aerospace engineer at a major U.S. defense company, I'm a (reserve) space operations officer in the

U.S. Air Force, I have undergraduate and advanced degrees in space systems engineering (and working towards a doctorate), and although I rarely have

time for TV, I make time every week for Space Tuesday on the Discovery Channel. Like I said, total immersion!

Crosshairs

Every month, we will feature a member of the FISD (not necessarily a full-fledged TK) who has created something unique, or who is involved in something noteworthy. Again, keep your eyes open, because this is a section that we’ll be looking to our FISD members to help us with choosing people for future editions. This month’s featured FISD member is Dashrazor, who is a fairly new member to the boards, but who has been working on a unique fan-built E-11 project.

Name: Mason

Username: Dashrazor

Project Details: E-11 scratch built blaster, with a working folding stock, barrel lights, barrel laser, smoke projector, removable clip, removable lighting hengstler counter, sound functions, and see-through scope with cross-hairs.

Tell me a little bit about what you do.: Tinkering (as my wife calls it) and the arts. I have always liked making things and working with my hands, whether it be guitars, paintings, airbrushing or building models. I’ve also taken electronics classes over three years (soldering to NASA standards,digital,ac,dc circuits, ect) 20+ years hands on learning. Another hobby of mine is sword building (dungeons and dragons phase,early 90s) learned about the almighty dremel tool/forging and basic metal working skills, and I have experience with construction trades (general contractor): tig,mig, and stick welding, fabrication and pipe fitting, carpentry and plumbing.

What first interested you in building Star Wars props? My blaster building story started when i had to have knee reconstructive surgery. I was stuck at home for several months, and became tired of watching TV and playing video games, so i decided to order a Star Destroyer model kit off eBay. I spent weeks running fiber optics throughout the model, but I found the building was pretty easy, so I bought a few more Star Wars model kits, and they were also very easy to build. That didn’t really work for me, since I like a good challenge, so I decided I would scratch-build a star wars model in my shop instead. I looked on Google for ideas for my build, and an E-11 picture on the blaster builders club website caught my eye. I started just putting bits of household items together (using the blaster builders club templates for size reference only), and next thing I knew, I had a pretty cool looking functional blaster.

After your initial E-11 build, what made you decide to continue? When the blaster was finished, I wanted to make another, but the hobby turned out to be far more expensive than plastic modeling. even though I was using mostly recycled materials. With the various drill bits, dremel bits, saw blades and other needed items (mostly my electric bill), I was breaking the bank. My wife suggested selling my blaster on eBay to fund building additional models. I was reluctant at first, but agreed to give it a shot. After posting it on eBay for only a few minute, several people were watching my auction. I soon received a message from a 501st member, who asked several questions about the blaster. At the time, I knew very little about the organization, besides what i read from various websites when researching the E-11 blaster, but after talking with the member, he seemed pretty cool, so I decided to post it “Buy It Now.” for him. Unfortunately, before he could buy it, another person (a prospective 501st member) bought it. I felt quite bad, so I told the 501st guy that I would build another one. I ultimately joined the FISD, made my second blaster, and had a great time learning more about the 501st and getting ideas for bigger and better projects.

What are your plans for future projects? I am still working on refining my initial E-11 build and improving my workshop. My current project is a functional DLT-19, which is coming together very well. For some reason, the DLT is actually getting built faster than the E-11 did, so I am considering whether I might be able to offer FISD members a run of these items in the future.

Imperial Commissary

Currently, we have an T-shirt interest thread asking for troopers to post their intentions with regards to purchasing a 2010 FISD T-shirt. These shirts look great, with original artwork being placed on a black shirt base, and the orders are starting to pile up. Make sure you sign up for yours today, Trooper!

Order from the Communications Officer

Make sure to keep up with the current topics on the FISD board. I’ll be asking for your feedback about what you want to see in this newsletter, and I’ll be working with the rest of the staff to create ways for you to nominate members you want to see featured. This is your newsletter, so I want it to be something that is useful to you. Now, have a good month, and get out there and troop! That’s an order!

With unquestioned loyalty,

Daniel "Debater2nd"

TK-2618

FISD Communications Officer

This post has been promoted to an article