hasbro help

Kind

ok so working on the hasbro conversion. i cut off the extra t-track and when i went to drill the holes in i shreaded the plastic all around (used a paddle bit on low tork thinking it would be best.....wrong) I then cut out the slit of messed up holes and used bondo to fill the gap. While i tried to re drill (using regular bit starting small and working my way up) it cought and and tore up the bondo!! So i have rebondoed it and i am thinking of either just leaving it solid or painting on the holes in silver. It is either that or start all over with another hasbro witch i realy dont want to have to spend more money than i have.

any input would be great

thank you

I'm in the process of doing exactly the same thing, what I've had success with is drilling a small pilot hole, then I use the Dremel cone shaped grinding tool to expand it and make it circular. I go slow and it seems to work okay for me. My biggest challenge is getting the holes to line up, lol.

Hope it helps,

Here's what you "should" do.

Lay out the holes you want (draw straight pencil lines, then make center marks for the holes based on whether your copying the Hasbro holes or the real Sterling holes). I think Sterling holes were spaced slightly further apart

Use a center punch, nail, etc. and mark the center of the holes. Use a small 1/8" bit to start and drill a pilot hole.

Before you enlarge the holes, look on the inside, and you'll see various plastic mounts sticking up where the holes may need to go. Dremel these down, as they can end up pushing your drill off center.

You can enlarge the hole with bigger bits but you do need to be careful (as you found out) as the plastic is thin and will tear. You could Dremel the holes bigger (use the small sanding tip and slowly enlarge the hole) but if you do Dremel the holes, you should draw circles of the maximum sized holes you want, also making sure they are aligned.

The best way to enlarge the holes is with a "unibit" like this:

---------------

This bit will enlarge the holes once size at a time, until you get the size you need. It also keeps the holes centered as you enlarge them, that way the row of holes won't get wonky.

To be honest, i don't think the bondo is going to work. One thing I always thought of trying was cutting off the barrel altogether, and replacing it with a section of PVC piping. This way, you can make it longer / more realistic, and you don't need to grind off any T-rack, etc.. You just have a smooth cylinder to work with. If you can find a similar diameter to the Hasbro, you could easily mount the PVC pipe via a smaller shim section to join to the pipe to the Hasbro (just before the holes start).

I don't think there's much you can do in terms of repairing the damage, I would just replace the barrel section altogether.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

One thing I always thought of trying was cutting off the barrel altogether, and replacing it with a section of PVC piping. This way, you can make it longer / more realistic, and you don't need to grind off any T-rack, etc.. You just have a smooth cylinder to work with. If you can find a similar diameter to the Hasbro, you could easily mount the PVC pipe via a smaller shim section to join to the pipe to the Hasbro (just before the holes start).

I don't think there's much you can do in terms of repairing the damage, I would just replace the barrel section altogether.

i like this idea. how were you thinking of going about attaching the pvc to the gun. looking at mine seems like it might be a bit hard.

i also thought of chipping away all the bondo and just making the cut i made larger so i would be drilling into the pure bondo as my problem last time was when the drill hit the plastic it lifted it and seperated.

Cut the entire barrel off about 1 inch before the "trigger" angled piece. Hopefully you can find a plastic pipe that's a similar diameter, this should be the length of your replacement barrel. Then use a smaller diameter pipe that will act as the "connector" about 2-3 inches long and glue it inside the blaster with the other half sticking out. Then glue your pipe to this connector. Drill the holes, etc.. and cut off things like the sight and other small bits from the original blaster and glue them on the pipe. Then paint it.

Keep in mind this is just an idea, I haven't tried this myself, but I don't see why you couldn't do it. You just need to find piping of the right diameter.