Jakks First Order Stormtrooper Conversion (TFA)

Endoskull

Hi all,
This is kind of my first post here and I guess my first build... no wait that's not exactly true:

15660296526_4fc8709493_b.jpg
15064640403_0a561a05aa_b.jpg

Anyway, I wanted to thanks those Fathers and Uncles who came before me :)

TJ Maggio where I first came across the conversion
https://youtu.be/D0-xLaQ2rss

Followed by Johnny who answered some of my questions what to expect inside the body...
https://youtu.be/TW52qqOe8Yg

Daz who didn't do a Toy Conversion give me several ideas on how he handled aspects of his build:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=248832
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcka8kn5jXQ

And now I came across Kredal & Bryanmc in this thread:
http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/33605-turning-a-toy-into-armor/?hl=child

Anyway, now I hope to join the ranks of folks with sore hands from grinding out plastic. Because I have a video channel on youtube I tend to film everything so in the coming weeks I'll post videos here likely rather than pictures - maybe both? Anyway, wish me luck and thanks for your inspiration.
-jer

• Like 1

Good luck with your build Jer!

I also took a ton of video during the grinding and fitting, but I was so spent from the project that I haven't even gone back to look at it.  :vomit-into-the-toilet:

The plastic is really nice and soft to cut through with a sharp utility knife, except around the shoulders where it gets very thick. Be very careful not to accidentally cut yourself! I had a couple of close calls that I'm glad no one was around to see :)

Get the 20 piece sanding drum kit from Harbor Freight, and charge up the batteries for your drill. You'll have plastic bits flying all over the place as you grind down the inner support structure.

Be sure to do lots of test fitting along the way to keep yourself motivated  :duim:

Charlie

Hey Crashmann,

Ha! I kind of already went through the pain of doing it all with a Dremel :-P

Do you have a build thread of your project or links to video? When I edit mine together I plan on linking to all the people and project I know of.

-jer

Good luck with your build Jer!

I also took a ton of video during the grinding and fitting, but I was so spent from the project that I haven't even gone back to look at it.  :vomit-into-the-toilet:

The plastic is really nice and soft to cut through with a sharp utility knife, except around the shoulders where it gets very thick. Be very careful not to accidentally cut yourself! I had a couple of close calls that I'm glad no one was around to see :)

Get the 20 piece sanding drum kit from Harbor Freight, and charge up the batteries for your drill. You'll have plastic bits flying all over the place as you grind down the inner support structure.

Be sure to do lots of test fitting along the way to keep yourself motivated  :duim:

Charlie

Update 1

So, I likely won't post any videos of the Armor until It's all done... but I'm getting ready to do the backpack based on: Watson Studios Build (Backpack Pictures)

However for fun and being geeky - I'm working on the audio/video portion at night for use with an old iPhone 3

I'm even going to give you a tip :) After much frustration I figured out how to get the exported video to work on the iPhone 3 in portrait mode.

Tip: 

How To Export iPhone Video in 480x640 Portrait mode for iPhone 3 (Not as easy as you would think...)

Issue: 

The old iPhone 3 is happy as can be with loading 640x480 video exported from adobe premiere - but if you export as 480x640 it won't sync from itunes... I tried many different formats and settings but I couldn't figure out how to directly do it...

Here is the work around...

Solution:

Since iPhone 3 uses IOS 6.XX I had to find a APP that worked on the iPhone 3 - I was assuming if it ran on the phone it's rotation properties would work on the phone... and It did! YAY! So here is a link to the app called Rotate Video HD

Now simply export your video from premiere 640x480 (Your interface must be rotated in premiere) Syn Video folder in iTunes to your iPhone 3 - Load the Rotate Video APP - rotate video as needed save file (Video looks better if you don't do the compatible with PC option)

Here is a sample of what I'm doing (still a rough draft but you get the idea) Audio thanks to Finger Chili (I think he's a 501st member)

Notes: I'm trying to go with a somewhat Star Wars looking GUI - but They don't really use Computers... 

• 7 months later...