Need some help on repairing my return

I have been trying to practice using my heat seal iron and heat gun. My heat guns lowest temp is 400* and my mini iron maxes at 305*.... I have been trying to heat without overheating and trashing what I am working on, but it seems like its just not getting hot.. I tried letting the iron heat up to full temp, then use it by itself, making several passes with no give on the plastic, then I tried give a few passes first with my heat gun then start in with the iron... only time I got any type of bend was really doing the heat gun iron combo and then pushing down on the iron pretty firm.. Im obviously doing something wrong just not sure what.. I know a few of you have had some really good success with this, and really need to use this technique. Maybe i am off on the time is it like 10-15 minutes of passes back and forth on one section?

When I was shown where to trim my armor, it was all the way back. Which left me with absolutely no return what so ever. At this point any amount that would make my armor more acceptable when it comes time for aproval would work for me....

Edited by Kirby

When I was shown where to trim my armor, it was all the way back. Which left me with absolutely no return what so ever. At this point any amount that would make my armor more acceptable when it comes time for aproval would work for me....

You don't need a return edge on areas you may have trimmed for Legion approval or EIB that I know of. The people that do it tend to do so to return cut areas to original / screen look, or if there was one at that spot before. But I don't think its required. Also, keep in mind that you should know where you want the return edge to be before you trim the armor. You want about 3/8" or so extra to create the return, then trim it to even it out. If you already trimmed it and then do the return, it will be shorter than the intended length.

I tend to do at least a couple passes with the heat iron. I don't use the heat gun on the area first because I find it results in uneven heating ( one area becomes really soft and the area next to it is still hard. Work on small sections as a time, I only heat about 2" at a time. You don't need to apply a lot of pressure, just hold it against the surface to heat it up, and keep the iron moving.

Yeah, heat guns... ugh!

You gotta be real careful with the heat gun, it can warp your plastic too easily. Just take your time with the iron, nice and slow. And you don't need a super deep return, 1/8" is plenty for most cases. Heck, in the movies some part didn't even have returns.

I mean it's up to you... but... I would almost leave it alone, it's kind of a pain to do. I only say this because I know, I did it... And it just created a whole bunch more work for me on MY suit.

Jess

Edited by TK 4702

If its not a requirement then I will probably just leave it as is and take the path of least resistance....That was the main reason for me attempting it, I was thinking that it would be a requirement... Thanks a lot guys as always.. great advice from all of you...