US Navy Star Wars Movie Party!

Femtrooper Julie

I was going to throw this out there and see what people thought, I respect the opinion of you troopers, and you guys might have some ideas to make the night even better!

I may have mentioned this before, but I manage a US Navy recreation center on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. I am not in the Navy, I am a civilian employee. It is a wonderful job, and I really enjoying taking care of the sailors and marines at our center. It a great setup, we have networked 360 and PS3 systems with huge plasma screens, computers, a giant theater room, music instruments, the works. We even brew root beer on the base! I plan trips and activities, we have done video game tournaments, luau trips, surfing, etc.

I am planning an all night Star Wars event. I was planning on wearing the armor (I wore it to work on Halloween and got great reviews!), and play the original trilogy. I might try for a Costume contest, but I don't know if any of the guys have anything to wear.

Do you guys have any ideas on how I can make it more fun for the troops? We have SW Force Unleashed games, maybe some sort of contest with that? This is mostly a pretty young crowd (under 24). Maybe I could pass out a flyer for FISD and the local outpost to recruit some of the guys?

Thanks in advance, I love the FISD Ohana! (family)

Julie

Sounds like a great event.

I would try a Star Wars trivia contest.

Who can do the best Wookie roar contest.

If somebody has the Star Wars Trivial Pursuit DVD Game that you can borrow.

Maybe if you have a way to link up to the internet with the plasma TV's there are tons of games on StarWars .com

A Jabba The Hutt eating contest, with some maybe not so appealing foods, such as raw oysters, frog legs, or maybe some green colored hot wings

I hope you plan this for a future date. The SuperBowl is later today, bring hot wings and beer.

My nefew is in the Navy he has seen enough Starwars with me. :lol:

I'm sure whatever you plan they will be thankful.

Hey, great ideas Rogue! Thank you! This is mainly young Enlisted guys who don't have a ton of extra cash. Wookie roar and things that are free are great!

I am still in the planning phase CT9926, it's not for today. I am working, but today I am in football jersey costume instead of white armor!

I am a big supporter of the military, and love helping to take care of these guys. People might think it is not so bad being stationed in Hawaii, and sure, it is not Iraq, but it is still a long ways from home and loved ones for these guys. Since everything is so expensive, they have a tendency just to sit in the barracks and not get out. We give them fun things to do for free.

Julie

Also a Yoda mimicking contest too! You can call the game "Who's the Master of Yoda"

Everbody in the contest would get up and say a few lines in their best Yoda voice.

Here are some examples of Yoda quotes:

"No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try."

Awww, cannot get your ship out...eh-heheheh!"

"Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is!"

No! No different! Only different in your mind. You must unlearn what you have learned."

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size do you?"

"And well you should not! For my ally is the Force. And a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. The Force surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock...everywhere! Even between the land and the ship."

You can put lines like these that Yoda spoke up on a poster board and let each contestant read the lines and let the audience judge who is the best Yoda voice/impression..

Why wasn't I informed of this? haha..

When do you plan on doing this?

Like Manny said u should get in contact with your local 501st!!!!!!

You should do what they did at trooperfest in Vegas: have a cardboard stormtrooper costume contest. I believe what they did was divide everyone into 3 teams and gave them cardboard, knives, scissors and tape along with photo reference and they had to create a TK costume all within a time limit and have someone on their team wear it. Looks like it was pretty fun. There might be videos of it on youtube if you search for 'trooperfest'.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Julie, any updates on the Star Wars event that your were planning? Or, has it already happened?

If so, hopefully you have some good pix/video to post.

Getting in touch with the Garrison... first step.

Being Navy... It will work. However...

Your talking about guys in their 20s... Beer fueled and overworked. I would add in family. This brings the tone down a tad and ensures that your costume participants are able to attend with out fear of being "mauled". Adding in Kids is a blast as well, and the Star Wars costume contest is a great idea. Kids bring in the fun.. adults are great,but kids add the wonder of a child. Also changes timeframe, as family events are afternoon and early evening. Then it can slide into the singles later on in the evening.

I haven't been to Pearl in a long time. Is this on or off base? How about a Parade? have the event set up outside and inside... have a parade "march" up to the USO. Invite the Rebel Legion, advertise in Pearl for a month and have a blast. Its not like you have bad weather.

MWR loves me here. I am slated to have a ton of events to support on base Sasebo. They are still working out a Schedule for me.

Maybe have a screening of the films.. back to back in the background. Tie in the theme of the Jedi helping the galaxy with the Navy's current slogan "global force for good".