What's your perception of Austria?

Sonnenschein

Vienna

Beethoven's various residences and grave at Zentralfriedhof (Central Cemetery)

European capital of classical music.

Beer

Wiener Schnitzel

"I NEVER REALLY KNEW VIENNA BEFORE THE WAR.... Constantinople suited me better."

In the summer of '99, my family drove through Austria. We stayed one night in Innsbruck, at a motel aimed at ski tourists. It had an indoor pool. It was very nice, and I practiced the little German I knew on the hostess, a sweet old lady.

I must admit, I sometimes mix together Schweiz and Österreich. Einmal geschmack ich ein sehr gut weissbier, aber ich errinnern nicht welcher land es war aus. If you will forgive my German. :)

Trap Family. Hitler. The place where my paternal ancestors came from. Salzburg. Vienna. Strauss. Ahnold. Several of the best cities in the world to live.

And of course - the most famous Austrian : Mozart. Anyone with even a remote sense culture should associate Austria with some of the worlds greatest - and arguably the greatest - composers.

Vienna

Beethoven's various residences and grave at Zentralfriedhof (Central Cemetery)

European capital of classical music.

Beer

Wiener Schnitzel

Didn't know that the Zentralfriedhof was famous!

Beethoven lived and worked in Vienna, but was born in Germany.

Actually, I don't drink beer. I like sparkling white wine.

Ah.. Schnitzel. Always tastes great... with a side order of french fries

"The hills are alive, with the sound of MUUUUSIC!"

Sorry, that's pretty much all I got. Well, that and World War II.

You know what funny? I never saw that movie.. only small bits and pieces..

The New Year´s Concert by the Vienna Philharmonics, they´ve shown that live on Swedish television since I was a wee lad so I´ve grown quite fond of Strauss dynasty :)

Oh yes.. the Strauss dynasty. I guess there wouldn't be much music without them :). It wouldn't be New Year without the "Danube Waltz".

"I NEVER REALLY KNEW VIENNA BEFORE THE WAR.... Constantinople suited me better."

In the summer of '99, my family drove through Austria. We stayed one night in Innsbruck, at a motel aimed at ski tourists. It had an indoor pool. It was very nice, and I practiced the little German I knew on the hostess, a sweet old lady.

I must admit, I sometimes mix together Schweiz and Österreich. Einmal geschmack ich ein sehr gut weissbier, aber ich errinnern nicht welcher land es war aus. If you will forgive my German. :)

You really should take the Riesenrad (giant ferris wheel) in the Wiener Prater.

Your Germann is way better than my Norwegian ;).

"Weissbier" is from Germany (Bavaria). But we have great Lager.

Inspector Rex

Really? Even in Australia? Is it dubbed in English?

Many years ago I was an extra on one episode. There were actually 3 dogs, each for every "stunt".

Trap Family. Hitler. The place where my paternal ancestors came from. Salzburg. Vienna. Strauss. Ahnold. Several of the best cities in the world to live.

And of course - the most famous Austrian : Mozart. Anyone with even a remote sense culture should associate Austria with some of the worlds greatest - and arguably the greatest - composers.

I should have guessed you had Austrian roots ( considering your last name).

And yes, Mozart was one of the greatest composers. He even composed the Austrian National Anthem

I liked it when I was there in 1994 :D .

A long time ago, in a country far, far away... In which part of Austria were you?

ktm_logo.gif

Too bad I've never been into motorcycles..

Seefeld ( my fav austrian town ), and the thrill of doing the bobsleigh run at Igles.

Plus great boarding !

Yup! Austria is great for Winter sports.

Many thanks for you posts guys!

Karin

I had a foreign exchange student friend from Austria in high school. Her name was Merle. I remember having a crush on her because of her accent :wub:

She thought Americans were very mean and fat, that the bread in the U.S. sucked, and the lack of free public transportation was/is ridiculous and unacceptable.

• 4 years later...

I like it it. I was there around 12 years ago, but really should go back. It's like Germany but smaller and Austrians speak nicer/cleaner German than Germans.

I also have a former work mate living in Vienna so I need to visit him sometime.

Oh Mathias :D Austrians speak cleaner german than the Germans? :D

Austrian German is in many ways different than the "real deal" "Hochdeutsch" (High-German?!).

For example the Austrians call a tomato (Tomate in German) a "Paradeiser". Crazy folks I say :laugh1: !

Again this real "Hochdeutsch" is only purely spoken in Lower Saxony, which is the area around Hannover, in the Ruhr-District we speak a much harder and slightly simplified German.

I really love Austria for its mountains and the ski holidays I make there every year.... let it be in the Montafon, in Obertauern, in Zauchensee in Zell am See or elsewhere.

Otherwise I connect Austria with the fact that Hitler was "your creation", although most people around the globe link us Germans more directly to him.

Maybe I´ll come over in summer for a short climbing tour - the mountains are also great without snow.

"The biggest difference between Austrians and Germans is their common language".

I always thought the Frankfurt- dialect was considered "Hochdeutsch"

In Vienna, for example, every district has its own, distinctive dialect.

@Steffen:

How about Karotte for carot, instead of the german "Möhre?

Maybe I just remember things differently than how it really is. And of course, my exposure to German of any sort is limited compared to yours. ;)

At least I'll go back to Leipzig in June. :)

Austria...  January, 1992.

Hohenfortress Salzburg, Mozart's home.  Beautiful scenery, the cemetery behind the cathedral (?).  Mountains.  Friendly people.

I really enjoyed it.  Quite a beautiful city, in a rather beautiful country.

Mountains, mountains, mountains, good food, good beer. Nice people, nice women, the new year's concert from Vienna, the Dobbiaco-Lienz bike ride, the Loacker factory, have I said the mountains?

What a marvellous Country.... A real paradise, joy of living.

I'm glad to live at only 3 hours by car from the border, but it's a pity that Venice doesn't belong to the Empire anymore!

:D

Edited by elleerre