making stormtrooper handguards

Hello everyone,

I made some handguards a long time ago, and they didn't turn out right. So I need to start again. I was wondering if anyone knew the correct dimentions for the handguards. I do have pretty good reference pics, but need to know the accurate size. Any help would be great. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! I think my old molds are about the same... only, where is that measuring from? is the 9 cm from top (towards the fingers) to bottom and the 11 cm from the tumb corner diagonal to top corner?

The ones I make are about 11x9 cm.

Hope that helps.

Karin

On 2/19/2010 at 1:28 AM, Sonnenschein said:

---------

Remember, these are flexible. If you make them out of ABS and concave, you have to adjust the size :)

Hope that helps!

Karin

thanks, that helps alot actually.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

• 1 month later...

A LONG LONG TIME AGO.... I sculpted these out of clay and made direct mold from silicone, I tried to make the handplates out of urethane (quite hard urethane at that) and I just couldn't get it to stick... the project was then put on hold for several years.

finally, I got around to refining my handplate. I casted a resin model, then began sanding away... after several days of sanding, carving, bleeding (only a litte cause I screwed up) and priming... I came up with this...

EAYAjBJ.jpg

Note: they have not been painted... only primed

this is the first real thing that I've ever created, so please blooden me over the head with critique. I want to make final corrections before I make a mold of it. Thanks!

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

I think you need to square off the wrist area more. The real hand plate in your comparison is at an anlgle so it's not the best to use for reference. I'd make the raised strip narrower too. Good start though :)

Thanks for the feedback. I did notice after taking the pics that I should make the raised strip a bit narrower. Would you mind sending me a good reference pic? I've been working off this one mainly.

Edited by Mr. No Stripes

well, its back to square 2. :D

after spending a few hours doing a frame by frame in every scene in ANH with a stormtrooper... I had a chance to get alot of reference.... after doing alot of comparisons I found alot of inaccuracies about my plates. I made the strip thinner, as well as repositioned it...

In the reference pic I provided looks like a chunk was taken out of the left side of the hand plate, hence why it is not as square as all the others. I see now what you mean by squaring off the edges.

I think I will be able to make these much more accurate within the next few days... I'll post some progress once I get it sanded down and primed again.

I have crapified my handplates... just to get a rough idea of where the lines should be... I'll need to stop and get some epoxy on my way home from work today, so I can start the perfecting process when I get home

After comparing pics... here is what I found I needed to change...

iV2rlzG.jpg

here's where it is at right now... its pretty rough, and yes I know it looks pretty terrible. Although... it may even be more accurate this way :lol:

fA2REgy.jpg

but no... the main thing I wanted to do was get the correct shape... which I still need to add to and fix up more, but they will be sanded down, smoothed out, and the detail will be sharpened.

Edited by gmrhodes13

• 2 weeks later...

update...

First pic is from the film... its actually a few frames from the one I was originally using... it is much more flat on so probably the least amount of warping from the camera angle in the entire film... that I could find.

I decrease 25% transparency as the pictures progress... The last pic. is my new handplate...

HOLI9Fc.jpg

Iicsn5j.jpg

please let me know your thoughts

Edited by gmrhodes13

Yep. I agree You really put a lot of effort into these. The look good.

But I don't think that all the slopes were sculpted, mainly the the "bend" on the part which points to the thumb. This is all the result of the flexibily of the material (latex)-

I really do believe the "original sculpts" were just made out sheet material. Why bother with an elaborate sculpt when the finished hand guards bends, contorts and follows the curves of the hand anyway?

Now, if your cast YOUR versions in a flexible material and put them onto a glove and wear it, it WON'T look anywhere near the screen capture. It will bend and contort even more.

If you use it as a buck for vac formed plates, it looks DEAD on

It really helps to have a real latex plate to study its properties.

Karin

Edited by Sonnenschein

Yep. I agree You really put a lot of effort into these. The look good.

But I don't think that all the slopes were sculpted, mainly the the "bend" on the part which points to the thumb. This is all the result of the flexibily of the material (latex)-

I really do believe the "original sculpts" were just made out sheet material. Why bother with an elaborate sculpt when the finished hand guards bends, contorts and follows the curves of the hand anyway?

Now, if your cast YOUR versions in a flexible material and put them onto a glove and wear it, it WON'T look anywhere near the screen capture. It will bend and contort even more.

If you use it as a buck for vac formed plates, it looks DEAD on

It really helps to have a real latex plate to study its properties.

Karin

I'll keep that in mind, however the photo appears like it is not bending much at all... If you notice during this scene it looks like they are actually coming off... which is why it is probably the best reference to use.

Other reference pictures do not match perfectly, because they bend at the corners... but my plates still match up pretty well (mainly the corners are smaller... which is what happens when they bend... the middle strip remains the most constant). I guess I will make a casting after making a few slight adjustments, and then go from there. I may make a V.2 if I can find more ways to make them accurate

• 2 months later...

that is the luke handplate, from the garbage compactor scene where he's talking to 3p0.

his hands are smaller, and don't really make the handplate flex that much

because his gloves are a size too large.