Do you have quality fans?

I'm looking for good quality helmet fans and I was hoping somebody would have a good solution. The ones I currently have I picked up on Ebay. All they really do is drain my batteries. They provide very little benefit. I'm looking for something that provides good airflow, but are quiet.

This brings up the excellent question of where to best place the fans, and how many. People who say they make a diff seem to have four of them, and they are placed to allow airflow. Most fans I see in helmets have no room behind them to really pull or push air in quantity.

I have 2 in the frown, one pulling air in, one pulling air out. It's right by my nose & mouth, so it helps make it feel less stuffy and with lens fogging, but I also use anti-fog stuff for the lenses.

I'm thinking of adding 2 more behind the airaitors.

I've done okay with two fans, one behind the grill sucking air in and one low in the helmet circulating air around my sweaty chin. I haven't had my lens ever fog up, which is odd and I don't have any anti fogging on them.

Thx, Ed

I have two fans that I salvaged from some old computers. They are twelve volt. I mounted them near the bottom of my helmet to the sides of the aerator screws. I did this by making an aluminum bracket to space them away from the helmet wall. They are slim, out of the way, and run off of a single 9 volt. However, they do not really cool me as much as they just keep lens fogging down and move the carbon dioxide out of the helmet by creating a draft of fresh air. Lemme know if you want to see pics.

i went ahead and dremeled out the slots on the cheeks under the eyes and then hand painted them to look like the stickers .then put the fans sucking air in . i also dremeled the slots on the back of the helmet and painted them to . soon i will put fans there to suck out hot air .i will have pics in a week wheni get my digital camera out of the shop .

Sounds like a great mod, can't wait to see how it turned out!

i went ahead and dremeled out the slots on the cheeks under the eyes and then hand painted them to look like the stickers .then put the fans sucking air in . i also dremeled the slots on the back of the helmet and painted them to . soon i will put fans there to suck out hot air .i will have pics in a week wheni get my digital camera out of the shop .

I use a pair of Coolermaster 50mm CPU fans (50x50x15). 12v input, pushes about 12 CFM (nominally, of course; output will vary depending on the power you supply). They also come paired on hard-drive coolers (http://www.xoxide.com/untwofanhadr.html).

In my FX helmet, I have three 9v powering two fans. Such a geek: I'm overclocking my damn Stormtrooper helmet :)

In my FX helmet, I have three 9v powering two fans. Such a geek: I'm overclocking my damn Stormtrooper helmet :)

It's funny you say that. I was thinking about adding a 3rd 9v to my 2 12v fans. Not too sure how to wire it, though. Do you have a diagram or anything I could reference?

It's funny you say that. I was thinking about adding a 3rd 9v to my 2 12v fans. Not too sure how to wire it, though. Do you have a diagram or anything I could reference?

I do, but on a different computer. It's pretty basic, though:

Positive of battery 1 to negative of battery 2, positive of battery 2 to negative of battery 3, positive of battery 3 to negative of fan 1, positive of fan 1 to negative of fan 2, positive of fan 2 to pole 1 of switch, pole 2 of switch to negative of battery 1.

All in one circle, with the switch to interrupt it.

No concern of an overload to the fan drawing all that current from the 9Volts in series?

I do, but on a different computer. It's pretty basic, though:

Positive of battery 1 to negative of battery 2, positive of battery 2 to negative of battery 3, positive of battery 3 to negative of fan 1, positive of fan 1 to negative of fan 2, positive of fan 2 to pole 1 of switch, pole 2 of switch to negative of battery 1.

All in one circle, with the switch to interrupt it.

I use some 12v ones I got from Radio Shack. Pretty expensive (like $12 for one), but they're good and quiet.

I use to use those too but I found some that are almost identical & work just as good off of e-beast for $3 each including shipping (price depends on how many you buy). I think the seller name is captaincomputerparts or something like that.

Just do a search for 40mm fans when you find the seller & then pick up the ones that are 12V & the cheapest that he has available.