AP Helmet build[*AP]

Hi guys! Ive been here for a few months, and finally picked up my first bucket. Big thanks to Mark!

Ive started the build, based off the pictures Ive found here. Heres what Ive done in the past 24 hours.

IMGP9764.jpg

IMGP9765.jpg

IMGP9767.jpg

IMGP9768.jpg

And a cool pic

IMGP9759.jpg

I know I need to paint the screws white, better lenses, mesh, decals, paint and mic tips. Any thing else? Is it on track to be 501st acceptable?

Thanks for looking!

Absolutely 501st acceptable.

The only things I see — if you want nit picking — is I'd make the ears a bit thinner on the front part of the round. So they don't stick out away from the side of the helmet as much.

That's a totally personal opinion thing though.

Are you referencing a certain bucket from the movies?

Or just doing a "general" TK? I can't tell yet by the pics.

Very nice job so far man!

Keep us posted!!! B)

Thanks guys! Im pretty sure im doing ANH, or at least meeting those standards.

The ears have been bugging me the whole time, and I think I might have trimmed a little too much on right side ear. Still working on them :D

Also trying to raise the brow a little bit too ;)

Looking good, the only suggestion I would make is to trim out the eyes a little more. Also are you going with the hero look for this helmet? I ask because you have three teeth cut out. Here is a pic of my hero bucket.

med_gallery_575_172_25527.jpg

You can raise the brow one of two ways... or both ways in one.

1) trim off the cap so the brow "pushes up" further

2) unscrew the sides and "tilt" the bottom of the cap and back "inward" so that the opening is smaller for your head. This causes the brow to "raise."

I did the 2nd of those options. Of course you're limited in some ways to your head size. I can get my bucket on really easily... getting it off takes a bit of nose and ear rubbing. :D haha

But those two things, or a little of both, are the main ways to do that.

As for the ears just look at pics. They're tricky I know... but reference, reference, reference, measure... reference... measure... start to cut... stop... measure... reference... reference... reference... measure... cut. B)

Okay, Ive raised the brow, through both measures said above.

I only cut 3 teeth on each side because I was reading the EIB requirements, and not sure what I want to be (hero or shunt).

New shots. This is about the best I can get with the ears, Ive spent hours trying to fix them. Thinking of painting soon.

IMGP9771.jpg

IMGP9775.jpg

IMGP9780.jpg

Ive heard and seen that people paint the inside of the bucket black. Any reason for this? Ill probably do it anyways...

That's already a lot better imho!

It was good before, but you've really made it look a lot more ominous by raising the brow like that!

No real reason to paint the inside black that I know of. Just looks "cooler" when kids see the inside when your bucket is off and you're holding it chatting with someone.

Great work man!

I'd suggest drilling out the rest of the teeth, it would be weird to have the indentations for the other teeth in the helmet and not have them cut out.

Drill out the fourth tooth. The fifth is optional, since it likely would only be a really small hole anyway.

I'd suggest drilling out the rest of the teeth, it would be weird to have the indentations for the other teeth in the helmet and not have them cut out.

:huh:Weird? .....whys that?

DaveMANH01.jpg

emmmm, I do love weird ME!!!

:D

looking great there TJ!!

Since you said, you are doing an ANH version, are you going to paint the details ( Tube stripes, tear drops, trapezoids )

Thanks guys.

Theres not much I can do currently for the right ear, though in time id like to put plastic on the inside, then add putty to the outside to make it look better.

I dont plan on painting the details except the interior/exterior and the teeth. I have some okay decals for the other stuff that should be good (supplied with the AP helmet).

• 3 weeks later...

A good update. Waited a good week for the white paint to dry properly, and started hand painting the frown and chin. Not a fan of hand painting, too easy to make a mistake, and im prone to do so.

Anyways, the pics.

Fresh Paint

IMGP9880.jpg

Masked and painting

IMGP9912.jpg

Chin

IMGP9908.jpg

IMGP9889.jpg

Now need to detail the teeth and fix the errors..

IMGP9930.jpg

Chin is getting better

IMGP9915.jpg

Thanks for looking. As usual, please give me feedback, good or bad, on what I need to do. :)