Proposed Change - Side Gap Language

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That said I have seen some flimsy material being used which was not upto standard.

Ā 

Do I think we should change the requirements? Yes I do.

Ā 

I think the fairest way is to grandfather the req out, giving a specific time to upgrade.

Ā 

Also I think for persons wearing accurate armour with only the tiniest gap visible there should be no need to close it. Many original armour had one side with a small gap of only an inch or so and this should be accepted. On a strict case by case basis.

Ā 

Ditto.

i agree with the side shims should be white plastic that matches the armour or as close as. Also agree with Scott, anyone lucky enough to be slim that you only have a slight gap should not have to apply this closing. A 6 month period is a fair amount of time to get the materials required and make the required shims.

Ultimately it is an inexpensive change that makes a big difference- I'm all for the change with a reasonable amount of time to allow people to up-grade. Also perhaps someone who has done this mod, or maybe a few who have done this mod as it seems no two troopers do it the same, could post pictures or do tutorials to help those needing to do the upgrade.

Are the side rivets also under consideration? I ask because if people are doing this mod they could add the rivets at the same time.

I can make the change, I guess I'm just dissapointed that I've made a lot of modifications to my armour since i first applied for the EIB, and I feel like every time I apply there is another thing i need to fix, even though the requirements say it's a should not a must. change them all to musts, then people will only apply when they have it all done.

Ā 

Man, I feel for you there, but I can say it is well worth it. I thought I went through the ringer, but in the end, I never regretted it, and learned a ton!!!

Again, I am 100% in favor of the rule change for NEW EIBs. Fortunately, right now, my ab and kidney plate overlap and I did not have to make shims. What happens if I gain 10 pounds (4.55 Kgs) and someone spots a gap during a troop? Will I be reported to the FISD and lose my EIB status? Are we going to have annual check ups on costumes and make members send in new photos with a current newspaper in front of them? My GML lives in my town- should I expect random visits and be told to "suit up!" ALL EIBs met the requirements as established by the rules at the the time of their application and to not granfather them is like changing the rules in the middle of the game. I am afraid this could lead us down a path nobody wants. It will not stop at shims. Why not have everyone rip out their mesh behind their teeth. Why not have everyone use canon gloves like the ones Sonnenschein provides (which I love, by the way)? Are we going to require troops applying for a second EIB to show proof that the first costume is still intact and they just didn't make some modifications to gain an extra credential? And so on and so on.

Ā 

I joined the Legion for a selfish reason- to recreate the wonderful childhood memories I had over 30 years ago. Now, that I have had a few troops under my belt I realize the power of the suit. That power is the joy it creates for people of all ages. Everyone knows what I am talking about- the twinkle in the eye and the grin from cheek to cheek when people see you. When I see that happiness from someone, I know for at least a brief moment, they are sharing that childhood memory with me.

Ā 

Anyways, I guess I will keep going to the gym.

Again, I am 100% in favor of the rule change for NEW EIBs. Fortunately, right now, my ab and kidney plate overlap and I did not have to make shims. What happens if I gain 10 pounds (4.55 Kgs) and someone spots a gap during a troop? Will I be reported to the FISD and lose my EIB status?

Ā 

No. The only way to lose it is to sell your suit (retired) or leave the 501st (inactive). Detachments have no intention of being the trooping police, certainly not FISD.

Ā 

Are we going to have annual check ups on costumes and make members send in new photos with a current newspaper in front of them?

Ā 

No. Again, like MEPD that came before us we're not here to tell people how to troop. This is spelled out pretty clearly in both the detachment charter/vision and also the policy for EIB. I quote: "The goal of this is not to force people to achieve the higher standard, but rather to demonstrate what the costume can become and recognize those who achieve it."

Ā 

That's it. No annual checkup. No policing.

Ā 

Ā 

ALL EIBs met the requirements as established by the rules at the the time of their application and to not granfather them is like changing the rules in the middle of the game.

Ā 

Agreed 100%. We can spell this out in policy but I'd think it common sense. Anything else is disrespectful to our members and unprofessional.

Ā 

I am afraid this could lead us down a path nobody wants.

Ā 

Agreed, which is why we're not going down that path.

Ā 

Guys - EIB is a simple concept and we should keep it simple. Else we lose the fun aspect of this hobby.

Man, I feel for you there, but I can say it is well worth it. I thought I went through the ringer, but in the end, I never regretted it, and learned a ton!!!

Ā 

I agree mate, I feel a very strong sense of acomplishment. A similar feeling i had when I first finished the suit in Ocober last year.

Ā 

Ā 

It always is david, always is........ ;)

Ā 

true that mate ;)

Well for the record, when we disallowed FX helmets for EIB no one was grandfathered. On the flip side when we cleaned up the wording on the blaster details we never went back over all the EIB apps to see what everyone had.

My 2cts:

I think that if you need shims (like I do on screen lineage armor, not so much on FX) then you should resort to plastic or plastic-y material only.

I use soft almost stretchy high gloss vinyl that matches my armor and I think rippled fabric goes against the whole "fantasy" concept of armor.

Ā 

I had to use material on my old FX style lower leg armor pieces because I had no plastic at that time, and that always looked kinda iffy looking back now. AND didn't really match the rest of the armor color-wise.

It seems to me that people are forgetting that EIB is optional for those who wish to make their armor as close to screen accurate as possible (or the best looking, best of the best). It is not a requirement. If that is not your goal, no big deal, you are still in the 501st, still a FISD member. IF you want to go above and beyond the norm, then go with that goal and make the mods needed. Just my two cents.

Thanks for the response. Please don't get me wrong, I completely support any changes that moves us towards "movie accuracy." I consider the EIB program still in its infancy and hopefully, there will be many, many more of us. So, I know all of this will get worked out.

Ā 

One option is to change the color or the version of the badge after major changes to the rules have occured. I know if I were a new EIB and I had stricter guidelines, I would want to be recognized for that. Then, give the option to existing EIB's to upgrade to the new badge. I don't know how complicated (logistically) that would be -just an idea.

Ā 

Thanks guys!

That's a great idea Chris and I'll (along with Aaron/Terrell) have to keep that bee in my bonnet as we re-do the EI members page. I actually track the date that everyone got their EI status in the same xml file, it's just a matter of deciding how best to display it. Instead of a color we can always just use the month/year perhaps? I suggest this as typically the EI requirements aren't getting major overhauls anymore like MEPD did, but instead just have small incremental updates as time goes on.

Funny this topic came up when it did. I'm currently working on my AM armor and I had the cut lines drawn so that the ab and kidney pieces met up. My local garrison XO recommended that I take advantage of the long lengths of the AM sides and to just overlap and velcro them... knowing EIB requirements were "no black showing". So, I didn't cut them.

Ā 

I know I'm not a voting member, but I think you should grandfather those permanently. Give them the opportunity to change their gear, only if they want. When they were accepted, you gave them requirements, and they met them. I'm sure those with fabric will see the new requirements and make the effort to maintain current EIB requirements if they value the standards of FISD. Obviously, they do because they went through the trouble in the first place. Is the FISD staff really going to review ALL past submissions to see who has fabric sides and track all the re-submissions? Sounds like a lot of work to me. I'd recommend enforcing the new requirements with the new recruits (including me).

Ā 

I can't believe you're also entertaining the idea of changing the color of the badge. The badge is fine the way it is. There's no need to change colors to indicate how you earned it. The fact is... you earned it and you're part of the brotherhood. I'm in the military (which is what FISD is trying to emulate with the badges and achievement ribbons) and that idea just made me cringe.

Funny this topic came up when it did. I'm currently working on my AM armor and I had the cut lines drawn so that the ab and kidney pieces met up. My local garrison XO recommended that I take advantage of the long lengths of the AM sides and to just overlap and velcro them... knowing EIB requirements were "no black showing". So, I didn't cut them.

Ā 

I know I'm not a voting member, but I think you should grandfather those permanently. Give them the opportunity to change their gear, only if they want. When they were accepted, you gave them requirements, and they met them. I'm sure those with fabric will see the new requirements and make the effort to maintain current EIB requirements if they value the standards of FISD. Obviously, they do because they went through the trouble in the first place. Is the FISD staff really going to review ALL past submissions to see who has fabric sides and track all the re-submissions? Sounds like a lot of work to me. I'd recommend enforcing the new requirements with the new recruits (including me).

Ā 

I can't believe you're also entertaining the idea of changing the color of the badge. The badge is fine the way it is. There's no need to change colors to indicate how you earned it. The fact is... you earned it and you're part of the brotherhood. I'm in the military (which is what FISD is trying to emulate with the badges and achievement ribbons) and that idea just made me cringe.

I am not in the military, but I have had plenty of friends and family serve. I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone during these discussions and I know there is no comparison between a costume badge and an actual military honor.

Ā 

Changing the color might not be the answer, but perhaps a different version would be acceptable. As an example only, the Navy has a Distinguished Marksman Badge, Distinguished Pistol Shot and both a Distinguished Marksman and Pistol Shot. All three badges are the same color but a slightly different version. The same could be potentially done for different levels of movie accuracy.

Ā 

It will ultimately depend on how far and complicated the admins want to make this.

Ā 

take care.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 cents. Plastic looks much better, and frankly this is about looks. The majority of the EIB requirements are about looks, so this was a natural evolution. Sure there are other materials that are white that can cover the gap, but in my oppinion the intent was to make it look like the armor and improve the overall look of the armor.

Ā 

That said - I vote for plastic and all EIB be required to update. I voted for 12 month to allow more than enough time to complete the upgrade.