The GINO Propaganda

JoeR

Firstly I think that this subject should be discussed as many collectors on this forum have shelled out $1,000 a helmet based on what I believe are misrepresenatations.

Gino claims to have molds that I quote, "touched the inside of the original".

Here is the mold that was taken from the BrianR helmet, this was then sent to Gino to copy. It has been heavily modified as you can see, and secondly as Gino took copies, his helmets are quite removed from the original.

------------

There is no way the $1,000 replica helmets came from molds that touched the inside of an original nor are un-modified.

Another point worth mentioning is that the tubes were wrong on Matt's molds, as can be clearly seen on the early TE helmets. The area behind the ear caps are all funky and not smooth like on the TE2.

Four people can corroborate this story none of which are TE (Matt G).

Before anyone shells out $1,000 based on smoke and mirrors I feel they should have access to this information.

In fairness the guy has superb finishing skills, just don't try to lie and deceive your fellow prop collectors with made up stories.

Joe

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Intersting discussion. What is the other mold that we can see partially? A duplicate maybe? Do you have any other pictures.

Ps I am viewing this on my iPhone atm so I cannot see the pics at full size.

Intersting discussion. What is the other mold that we can see partially? A duplicate maybe? Do you have any other pictures.

Ps I am viewing this on my iPhone atm so I cannot see the pics at full size.

I am not sure mate, to be honest, maybe the smooth cap version?

Being new to collecting, not the Star Wars universe, I just can't see paying $1000 for any "copy" of a prop, regardless of the origin. If the mold were unmodified then I would consider anything that came off that mold the same as the orginal film used props, then I would consider paying $1000 or more. Put it this way, a Ferrari is a Ferrari, but a Mazda with a Ferrari body kit, build from the Ferrari molds, modified to fit the Mazda....is still a Mazda....

Don't forget that he modifies the helmets further to prevent "recasting" making them more removed from the original.

I did own one of his helmets. Bought it from him after he sold his "last" one on Ebay.

Very nice helmets but some of the claims....

there is no way to see any pics from unaltered molds or a bucket from an unmodified mold

imo they where damaged while they try to make a copy of the molds and since then they only tell some wild storys to be the number one ;-P

well where does it begin with accuracy? All helmets out of styrene are inaccurate then but it catches more details as if you make copies with HDPE! You have to clean and sharpen up the edges on the molds extremly to get as good results as with styrene. A big difference is the alteration to the tubes on the gino and Te helmets. It is believed not only by me that they were altered for easier demolding and it has been already said.. they were a bit short in original. The SFS helmets have higher undercut because the tubes weren't modified this way. You can guess now why TE2 don't offer them and why DL's and TE's "SFS"helmet runs were only out of ABS and HDPE! Styrene would have cracked while demolding!

There are also some recasts of the SFS ones and they have the same problems.

The other thing is the dimple in the tears that were removed but is a important detail I think. I would like to see a sideview of this mold here that went to Gino back to that time to see if the dimple is still there. If so gino removed it but if not Te did it.

Marcus

A while back Gino did admit that his molds never touched the inside of a screen helmet. He also admitted that he modified Matt's mold that he and Dave copied before he sent it back so that his would be the most accurate. I believe all that is on the PropDen.

Well there are only two people who are members here that might have photos of this mould from way back then, DL and JJ. If they do have photos that they would share, it could help help disprove Gino's claims.

I for one know that the tubes were modified as well as the area behind the ear caps. I don't have any hard evidence to show unfortunately, just what I see when Gino's helmets are compared to the originals. I think there are photo comparisons with the Dave M. helmet somewhere, but Gino dismissed all the evidence as his helmet was not cast from the Dave M.

Heck, I didn't know they had different moulds for each stunt helmet :rolleyes:

A while back Gino did admit that his molds never touched the inside of a screen helmet. He also admitted that he modified Matt's mold that he and Dave copied before he sent it back so that his would be the most accurate. I believe all that is on the PropDen.

He also said it here:

"Never claimed to have molded an original myself.

The molds I have are mold duplicates of molds taken from the inside of the original ANH helmet." http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?show...=1503&st=40

Edit: I don't have a dog in this discussion, I would be neutered if I paid over $1000.00 for a helmet! (couple grand for a Vader I can hide a little at a time).

I started collecting SW stuff just before EP 1 was out. The pride of my collection is a first run "Dew Back" patroll, AFAed at 80 NM (near mint) and at Brian's Toy's the closest one they have to mine is listed at $800.00 US. A $1000.00 G's for a , let's face it, fan made helmet? Even I'm not the nut's to pay that much!

In all fairness Gino's helmets are extremely nice.

BUT

$1000 for 4 pieces of plastic thats thin as the backing on a fruit rollup is pretty much a rip off ESPECIALLY when its not what it claims to be.

loser.jpg

Like I said on the RPF... Joe.. Thanks for sharing on the photos. You have shown a light on the hobby that is cast correctly. Great Job.

Gino is Gino. Really, if you shell out a G for a lid, more power to you. However I see better sales skills than craftsmanship. I know the lids are good looking but so is a TE2. Not to Dis any one offering this line of helmets, but the TM is the top dog. Still is and always will be. Dont think those words are to jock TM or anything, but having all these lids here at one time... Save a Gino, (never had one) the TM just looks right. Look what happened once that got out. Gino went on a one man warpath toward TM. Nothing new guys. Before TM was TE... then all the Vader attacks... Its sad really. People like Gino we should hope have peace in their lives. Its tough, but true. He is not here to defend himself, so we should out of respect be careful what we say here.

I used to have a dog in the fight with Gino, but now I just see a sad tale of well... Plastic and fiberglass. I have made some wild choices and words that I will never live down with the man, but I do know this. As far as his claims, he needs only his own word. So this has spun all this into complete chaos and to most it is a point that is not worth making. Glad its out there Joe, but just expect the backlash.

This line of lids and armor is done.. Fork in it. Thankfully, we have TE2, and ATA. Now I am sure that some will hop on the recast debate.. but not the point of the comment. They deliver, the armor has no drama and TE2 trumps ATA. Never been disputed. Up front, honest and what you should get in this.

A plastic costume helmet and armor. Not a wild story.