Are you owed money/plastic from Matt G aka TE

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard - not 100% sure - that he just softens a helmet he has in the oven, reshapes it and calls it something new. That's where new molds come from. Would be great to get independent confirmation.

Ā 

Ā 

There is a quite noticable difference between the sfs ( dave m style ) and brian r helmet molds. If you are lucky enough to get what you paid for and can compare them next to one another you will be able to see it...

Yeah, the difference is the Brian R was cast and the Dave M. was not. The ears were but thats it.

Nobody is sure what Matt's "Dave M." style molds are from. He is not honest about it and I believe still maintains to the public that they came "right from the original helmet" when really they had to have been made from the scan just like the FG version.

Matt sent me a tracking number the other day and it seems to be moving so after over a year of waiting it looks like I'm finally going to get my stuff. I will have to wait another few days for my lids to go out but that's due to Matt having to re shoot the paint on one of them as it got knocked about before it got packed.

So fingers crossed guys it looks like Matt is going to get back orders out soon. At least that is what he told me. He also told me that all this is old stock that he is shifting and that he is only doing ROTJ and his new lids.

I'll leave the new stuff for Matt to advertise.

I'll post some pics when my armor arrives............ :dancing-trooper: :dancing-trooper: :dancing-trooper::peace::salute::duim:

My SFS arrived at home. The paintjob is crappy as hell...even worster than on the pics. It looks like Matt has finished this thing in 5 minutes....very customerfriendly after a waiting time of over one year. But i will leave that helmet as its finished now. Dont have the nerves and money to make the finish better. I just need some accurate lenses and mic-tips for the helmet. So if anyone has an idea where to get or something to offer ...please Pm me. I hope the other stuff you guys are waiting for will come with a better finish and better shape.

• 1 month later...

How did Dan end up getting lumped together with Matt???

Ā 

Dan has been working incredibly hard for the last year to get his stormtrooper handmade molds finished, while making armor too. All emails are promptly responded to, every single day. And if somebody insisted on ordering one of his stormtroopers knowing full well that the molds weren't finished, then they have been updated on the status regularly. And if they want a refund, they can have one, any single day of the week.

Ā 

Dan strives for great customer service. So if there is somebody disgruntled out there with a specific issue about an order, they can send an email today and get a response today and get a refund if they are unhappy waiting the 6 or 8 weeks or even longer for finished armor sets. Turning out gorgeous sets of armor takes time when you are forming each piece by hand and pouring the resin for each greeblie and trimming and assembling all the parts by yourself.

Ā 

Dan is a great guy who makes amazing armor and he wants every person that he deals with to be 100% happy and satisfied with his fair and honest business practices. He will replace any item that is not perfect and ship a replacement for free. He will go out of his way to keep everyone happy, every day.

Ā 

So it is an absolute ridiculous and attrocious statement to vaguely lump, two very different people into the same category. Dan cares very deeply about his armor and the people who request it. And he would rather sell his molds and quit this hobby than to be thought of in such a negative way.

Hey RJ, your Dans girlfriend right? So you are going to be somewhat biased in this matter. Rolf has been waiting since 2008 for 4 tk suits to arrive with no apparent end in sight.

Ā 

You may have taken over the email replies but more than 1 person have had trouble getting a response from Dan himself.

Ā 

And strangely enough when they get an email update showing Dan working on his molds why is he always wearing the exact same clothes as if the pictures were all taken at the same time?

Ā 

I think anyone who has spent thousands of dollars with nothing to show in return is allowed to be a little pissed with the situation.

Ā 

Maybe Dan should sell his molds so that he may repay money owed to all those waiting for armour?

How did Dan end up getting lumped together with Matt???

Ā 

Dan has been working incredibly hard for the last year to get his stormtrooper handmade molds finished, while making armor too. All emails are promptly responded to, every single day. And if somebody insisted on ordering one of his stormtroopers knowing full well that the molds weren't finished, then they have been updated on the status regularly. And if they want a refund, they can have one, any single day of the week.

Ā 

Dan strives for great customer service. So if there is somebody disgruntled out there with a specific issue about an order, they can send an email today and get a response today and get a refund if they are unhappy waiting the 6 or 8 weeks or even longer for finished armor sets. Turning out gorgeous sets of armor takes time when you are forming each piece by hand and pouring the resin for each greeblie and trimming and assembling all the parts by yourself.

Ā 

Dan is a great guy who makes amazing armor and he wants every person that he deals with to be 100% happy and satisfied with his fair and honest business practices. He will replace any item that is not perfect and ship a replacement for free. He will go out of his way to keep everyone happy, every day.

Ā 

So it is an absolute ridiculous and attrocious statement to vaguely lump, two very different people into the same category. Dan cares very deeply about his armor and the people who request it. And he would rather sell his molds and quit this hobby than to be thought of in such a negative way.

Ā 

Ā 

And you are?

It would be a good idea to introduce yourself first in the new members section with a brief story of yourself.

Ā 

Dan and Matt have been lumped together as we all know they used to work together selling and producing armor and up until recently have both had similar business practices in not returning emails and coming up with a bunch of excuses when they do.

I know Dan doesn't work with Matt on this new project but they are very similar in the way they go about their business from a customers point of view.

It doesn't take a big part of your day whatever you are doing to contact the people that have payed in advance in good faith for goods, and be kept waiting for over a year for those goods without so much of a short update to put the customer at ease about their investment.

It is only recently that both Matt and Dan have started to reply to emails and catch up on back orders.

I have not had a purchase with Dan and yes he might be a stand up guy and love and be proud of what he does but that is no excuse to be reading what I have read from customers that have payed alot of money for helmets and armor. There are many threads on many forums about both Matt and Dan so I suggest that you read up and take in customer reviews before saying that it is atrocious and ridiculous..... :rolleyes:

Dan isn't Matt and visa versa but they both have their faults when it comes to customer service......

Ā 

I must also add that Matt seems to have got himself together recently and so has Dan from what I hear and are both sending out/catching up orders.

Ā 

I waited over a year for my armor from Matt and am still waiting for the 2 helmets I have payed for, which I have been told will be sent out soon.........along with the missing armor parts!

Ā 

So please excuse people getting pissed off if they have invested thousands of $ and not seen anything for their money.

Ā 

Matt,

I am Happy as I know you will probably see this!

Ā 

Ā 

Mark. B)

Ladies and gents, I trust we'll be able to keep our emotions in check and have a civil, facts-based discussion. If not, it ends.

Ā 

RJ, I see by you're post count that you're new to our forum. How about an introduction in the New Member Introduction section? :)

The following in blue is a PM I got from some person I don't even know called RJ, who started in on me without even a "how do you do".

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Sent Today, 01:10 PM

Ā 

It is ridiculous to lump Dan with Matt. Dan is a fair and honest man who has NEVER taken anyone's money and ran. He delivers his armor and if somebody ordered something when the molds weren't even ready, then they know they HAVE to wait. And every single email is responded to. And if somebody wants a refund, they get it, no questions asked. Which by the way, almost never ever happens.

Ā 

So dude, it can be fun to bash, but only bash about the truth. Matt has earned a terrible reputation because of everything you have read about. But Dan is in a totally different league. And people love his armor and they like him too. If you personally have some sort of issue with Dan, please feel free to email him personally with your concerns. He would be more than happy to discuss your concerns.

Ā 

Ā 

After I read this and had to let my blood quit boiling, I sent the following reply to the Dan Law's champion, RJ.

Ā 

Hi RJ,

Ā 

I think you are getting off on the wrong foot, by coming to me or anyone and telling them what they have done wrong.

Ā 

Dan has been business partners with Matt in the past. There is an old saying "guilty by association".

Ā 

I understand people have been waiting years for product they ordered from Dan.

Ā 

In the last month or so, Dan has come on the forum and said his molds were ready and he was ready to post pix of his new armor and start getting the armor out to people who have purchased his stuff. He hasn't posted anything since then and it seems that no one has said anything about receiving Dan Laws new armor. I personally don't have anything against Dan. I just made it a point not to deal with Matt or Gino, because of their reputation, and unfortunately until I see something different, I won't deal with Dan. Dan has not stepped far enough away from Matt for me to want to deal with him. There would not be a post on this forum with over six pages discussing and dealing with this subject.

Ā 

I understand that you can get busy with work and everyday life, while still trying to make props. The problem is, a lot of good people have invested a lot of money with Mr. Laws. Unfortunately, Dan has not been taking care of his customers, by updating them enough that they did not feel the need to post the problems they are having with him. Reputation is everything in the prop business. I just hope that Dan understands there are a lot of good prop makers out there that do take the time to take care of their clients. A simple email, updating the buyer, can help in maintaining a good reputation. Once tarnished, a good reputation is hard to retrieve.

Ā 

I do question why your are the squire for Dan Laws and why he, personally, is not championing his own cause.

First of all, I would like to apologize if anyone felt that my email was in any way, a personal attack. It was not intended to be. And as for the "squire" comment, well that was just a little bit silly.

Ā 

We know that there are only 3 people who insisted on buying armor before the molds were complete. And Dan has a strict policy about taking even one thin dime before something is available. But he made the mistake and he will never do that again. And the fact is very simple that all emails to the armor orderer are responded to, every single day, and if that is not possible, then within a few days. And we're not talking about one email a week. We are talking about 4 or 5 per day, per person. And they are always responded to. That's just a simple fact.

Ā 

I just wish that postings on this forum would be in a more positive light. It's very disheartening to read all the very negative thoughts about Matt. Now they may very well be true, but Dan's associating with Matt ended over 5 years ago. Dan has handsculpted all his own armor molds and all his own armor greeblies. He takes great, great pride in his work and definitely doesn't have time to chat on forums. He wishes that he did, but he doesn't.

Ā 

So I think that it would be a lovely change to not drag Dan's name through the mud, because of a prior association. It doesn't make much sense. People in the prop business and people who just love armor are together on this forum because of one thing....they are fans of great armor. Dan makes armor because he loves it. He has a heart of gold and would never ever stoop to shady business practices. There are many people who support him and love his armor and I am definitely one of very many. His personal email inbox is absolutely filled with very positive comments from very satisfied armor fan admirers. And it would make him happy to continue to add to that, which can be a task when there are people who don't have personal experience with him directly, to cast such a negative light in his direction. I have never ordered armor from Matt for example, so I feel it is unfair for me to personally talk about him or to add fuel to the fire. I prefer to stay more positive. Although in all fairness, if Dan ever produced armor with big lumps, then for sure, we should all shout to the world that his armor stinks! LOL! :)

Ā 

However, I have direct experience with Dan and know him to be very positive, very genuine person, who loves armor and loves creating new molds. I think that his new TK is going to be absolutely thrilling!!! It's a very exciting new project for Dan and when it's finished he will definitely be posting pics.

OK, the point has been made that this is a thread about Matt and not Dan. People wishing to comment on Dan should create their own thread.

Ā 

Let's stick to the topic as originally intended - any posts not dealing specifically with Matt risk deletion

Yes such a fine example of opinion based comment. I'd like to know who has been waiting for "years" for any of my products. 4 people insisted on paying me for TK sets before my molds were finished so that they could secure a place on the waiting list. 2 of them are still waiting, one has been refunded and one is going to be refunded as soon as we agree on a price for the 4 helmets I already sent him.

Ā 

I don't know who you are, but it's interesting how passionate you are about painting me in a negative light. You seem to have an agenda I'm not aware of. I'm not sure why you would take up that cause since we've never done business. Also interesting that you say that I've come on the forum in the last month to announce the completion of my molds. I haven't signed on for at least 6 months or made any claims that my molds are done. They aren't. So you personally don't have anything against me??? Guilt by association is a really ignorant comment to make. You don't have your facts straight and you don't know all of my customers. Matt and I have never been business partners. I made his TK molds for him; now TE2's molds. We learned armor making together. I took the first mold from the only real screen used TK helmet. The same one that everyone has recasted over the years. I have run my own business for the last 7 years and I always deliver my product; I have never stolen anyone's money. At times I am overwhelmed by demand and the wait time can be long but my correspondence is timely. Everyone's emails are answered immediately and all concerns are addressed fairly.

Ā 

I will debut my armor when I feel that it meets all of my expectations. I appreciate your concern but my reputation isn't tarnished just because you say it is. I'm an extremely easy person to deal with and I treat my customers as I'd like to be treated in any business transaction. There are a few good prop makers out there, but I'm still the best. I've learned a lot since I started making armor but the most important thing is the relationship I have with a customer.

Ā 

I'm Dan Laws. I'm here to stay and I have armor to make.

Ā 

Imperialarmor.net

Edited by Mr Laws

Yes such a fine example of opinion based comment. I'd like to know who has been waiting for "years" for any of my products. 4 people insisted on paying me for TK sets before my molds were finished so that they could secure a place on the waiting list. 2 of them are still waiting, one has been refunded and one is going to be refunded as soon as we agree on a price for the 4 helmets I already sent him.

Ā 

I don't know who you are, but it's interesting how passionate you are about painting me in a negative light. You seem to have an agenda I'm not aware of. I'm not sure why you would take up that cause since we've never done business. Also interesting that you say that I've come on the forum in the last month to announce the completion of my molds. I haven't signed on for at least 6 months or made any claims that my molds are done. They aren't. So you personally don't have anything against me??? Guilt by association is a really ignorant comment to make. You don't have your facts straight and you don't know all of my customers. Matt and I have never been business partners. I made his TK molds for him; now TE2's molds. We learned armor making together. I took the first mold from the only real screen used TK helmet. The same one that everyone has recasted over the years. I have run my own business for the last 7 years and I always deliver my product; I have never stolen anyone's money. At times I am overwhelmed by demand and the wait time can be long but my correspondence is timely. Everyone's emails are answered immediately and all concerns are addressed fairly.

Ā 

I will debut my armor when I feel that it meets all of my expectations. I appreciate your concern but my reputation isn't tarnished just because you say it is. I'm an extremely easy person to deal with and I treat my customers as I'd like to be treated in any business transaction. There are a few good prop makers out there, but I'm still the best. I've learned a lot since I started making armor but the most important thing is the relationship I have with a customer.

Ā 

I'm Dan Laws. I'm here to stay and I have armor to make.

Ā 

Imperialarmor.net

Ā 

Well said Dan. I have not personally delt with you as of yet, but ive heard only good things about you prior to this thread, but you seem like a good guy to me, and i will probably order from you at some point. (TIE pilot will happen in the distant future) Being a youngling prop maker myself, i agree the relationship with the customer is key. i update threads and e-mail all my customers in a timely manner as well.

Ā 

Alas this thread is about Matt, who i never had any dealings with, but have heard ALOT of issues with him. Its a shame really, He truly could have been the "Trooper Expert" but i dont think being rude, or not sending product was the way to do it. Too bad :(

Refund Rolf, simple. He wants his money back. I would be willing to bet that Dan has withdrawn Rolf's money and spent it on whatever, maybe living expenses. This is a dangerous way to behave.

Ā 

This is a warning to anyone considering buying from Dan.

Ā 

There are numerous emails that can be posted here for all to see the excuses being dished out.

Ā 

If you were the 'best' you would only take money when the product was ready to ship.

Ā 

TO ALL NEWBIES OR POTENTIAL PURCHASERS LET THE PRODUCT AND SERVICE SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES - TAKE TM AS AN EXAMPLE OF HOW A VENDOR SHOULD BEHAVE.

Ā 

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Ā 

Joe

Edited by JoeR

I have nothing but good things to say about Dan. He has always been in contact with me on emails. Everything that I have ordered I have received. I will continue to do business with him with out worry in the future. Just want to through my positive 2 cents out there.