helmet question

i was wandering what you guys used to connect different peices of the helmet kit together i heaard hot gle was good cose it doesnt melt the plastic but that doesnt seen like it would keep it together for long. what do you guys think

I've just used the screws that came with my AP kit, and it pretty much set things right where it should be. And it does hold everything really tight. Again, now that I think about it, you must be talking about the 2 head-piece sections of the FX helmet?

Don't use Hot glue for an FX bucket.... that would be a mess man.

Use the ABS glue in the kit or pick up some CA glue (CA is prefered as the ABS glue is a bit of a pain to work with)

I never use glue dude

0VLSzZ0.jpg

Screen used lids used brass paper clips. The things with bendable wings. Line up the parts and drill through both. Use the clips as a retention device for you to get the 'attitude' right.

Then commit the ear antenna with the screws

I've used on FX helmets, ABS glue and plastiweld epoxy which worked OK.

On my 2nd FX helmet build I used E6000 (clear or white) which dries to a rubbery, tough finish. If any gets on the outside, you can easily remove it with some vigorus rubbing with your fingers and it holds very tightly but not permanent (it's also known as "Goo" I think too). I also used screws behind the brow piece to hold it together and then removed them when it was dry.

thanks for all the help guys. i havnt put together a helmet yet and i think im ganna have two to do soon so need all the help i can get so i dont mess it up. i was also wondering about fan systems . what kind do you use and how do you hook it up and such.

Screen used lids used brass paper clips.

I know you are tight with Andrew, but that is not right. Never has a screen-used helmet turned up with brass paper clips on it. Only his reproductions have. Original helmets have been, invariably, riveted at those two spots. I'm not trying to be difficult but unsubstantiated myths spread too quickly in the prop hobby to let information like this go unchallenged. :)

Seth, No problems dude :) You maybe right...?

I'm just recalling a conversation I had with Andrew and old photos. When I asked him for tips on how to assemble one he pointed me down the paper clip route.

Check out some Christies auctions of real film used lids - so old they no longer have the ear antenna.

Then look closely at the sides and you'll see they look just like the pic I posted :)

Save you looking, here's a prototype lid. What's it held together with? Clips/rivets

----------

Held with something, but how you'd rivet something that far in form the edge I dunno?

Regardless dude. It's a great way to line up your lid whilst still retaining some strength :)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

I have seen the proto lid, and I'll give you they could be clips. All of the production helmets that have turned up have rivets. Here is "move along"

------

Rivets are easy to put just about anywhere, the tool to do it with is a "blind rivet gun" all you need is a hole to put the rivet through, nothing more than a washer needs to be on the opposite side. :)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Paper clips are great for keeping the helmet together 'temporarily' but not not permanently :rolleyes: Notice how just AA's proto has the clips and 'none' of the found helmets have any paper clips, they all have rivets.

Don't take everything as gospel. There is more than just sunshine that comes out of AA's @$$ :P

Paper clips are great for keeping the helmet together 'temporarily' but not not permanently :rolleyes: Notice how just AA's proto has the clips and 'none' of the found helmets have any paper clips, they all have rivets.

Don't take everything as gospel. There is more than just sunshine that comes out of AA's @$$ :P

I didn't say it :lol:

Guest T*E
I didn't say it :lol:

The helmet is not a protoytpe. It is one he made for family and friends after the film was in the theaters. This is from his mouth when I spoke to him on the phone about it. He can claim what he wants to know, not that it matters.

Just FYI for you folks.

T*E

Interesting stuff.

AA didn't say he used paper clips in the film lids I did. I'm wrong then :)

I put 2 and 2 together after asking how he lines them up. He said paper clips, I remembered a few chrisities shots and thought (incorrectly I may add gentelmen) ah yes. I've seen them before.

But we're all agreed paper clips are GREAT for lining up your lid face plate yes?

Yes. Hooray!

I would try to line it up temporarily before committing with rivets, but the rivet hole will probably be too small to fit one of the clips through. When I did it I used a small diameter nut & bolt, but if the rivets were fat enough you might be able to get away with them to size it up.

• 3 weeks later...