Cameron Oakley armor

BactaReality

Just curious if anyone here owns a set of this armor or has any opinions on the accuracy or quality of these fiberglass wonders. I've seen several different versions of the Oakley helmet, each looking different from the other, and was wondering what you would need to look for and or avoid when considering picking these up.

Also, because the brow trim on these are molded rather than a separate piece, I was thinking you'd have to remove that section all together in order to replace it with a more accurate brow trim. Has anyone done this to an Oakley helmet?

I'd like to hear what some of the experts have to say about this.

Just curious if anyone here owns a set of this armor or has any opinions on the accuracy or quality of these fiberglass wonders. I've seen several different versions of the Oakley helmet, each looking different from the other, and was wondering what you would need to look for and or avoid when considering picking these up.

Also, because the brow trim on these are molded rather than a separate piece, I was thinking you'd have to remove that section all together in order to replace it with a more accurate brow trim. Has anyone done this to an Oakley helmet?

I'd like to hear what some of the experts have to say about this.

I have owned 3 CO helmets and neither were very accurate at all. The ear pieces were way off. Personally I don't like FG helmets at all. You would be much better off going with a Styrene TE ROTJ which are spot on. There are a lot of CO rip offs floating around as well. FG armor would only really be any good for display, mine was very very heavy and prone to cracking/breaking.

With regard to removing the moulded trim, I think it would be a such a pain to do and would need so much filling and sanding, that it would be much easier to just buy a different helmet.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Joe

That's a shame that the fiberglass is prone to cracking, I was hoping a sturdy fiberglass would be more resilient. I thought I remember reading somewhere that the CO FG armor was actually a little flexible, but I guess that could've been just that particular set of armor. I'm really more interested in the armor itself and was hoping it would've been worth it, just having an accurate set of ROTJ armor to go with another more accurate, current ROTJ helmet builder. I'm not really worried about weight, and ultimately it would be just for display, with the exception of the couple times I would at least have to show it off. Thanks for the info!

That's a shame that the fiberglass is prone to cracking, I was hoping a sturdy fiberglass would be more resilient. I thought I remember reading somewhere that the CO FG armor was actually a little flexible, but I guess that could've been just that particular set of armor. I'm really more interested in the armor itself and was hoping it would've been worth it, just having an accurate set of ROTJ armor to go with another more accurate, current ROTJ helmet builder. I'm not really worried about weight, and ultimately it would be just for display, with the exception of the couple times I would at least have to show it off. Thanks for the info!

It would be ok for display purposes buddy. There are 3 lots of potential ROTJ helmet runs on the cards including mine so you shouldn't have any problems finding one!

Joe

• 10 months later...

Cameron's armor was supposedly created by Steve Johnson, who used to work for Elstree Studios (XFX) and is a mix of ANH and ESB parts. Being fiberglass, it wouldn't be very fun to wear for any amount of time.

You can see Cameron's armor pics at Gus Lopez's site:

http://theswca.com/images-repli/cameron-armor.html

http://theswca.com/images-repli/cameron-trooper-close.html

Camerons armour was cast from an ROTJ and was incomplete. As I understand it, the original parts used for casting by Oakley, were bought by TE and that is where all the current 'movie cast' replica armour comes from.

That contradicts what Cameron said on Gus Lopez's site a few years back. Perhaps he didn't know better at the time...

http://theswca.com/images-repli/cameron-armor.html

http://theswca.com/images-repli/cameron-helmet.html

http://theswca.com/images-repli/cameron-trooper-close.html

That's why I'm more apt to trust you, Paul. ;) Funny thing is tonight I've been pulling out my references to glean the tells from his armor but I'm certain you're 100% right, especially after looking at that helm. It's not ANH from what I can tell by the teeth. And the chest is different.

That's why I'm more apt to trust you, Paul. ;) Funny thing is tonight I've been pulling out my references to glean the tells from his armor but I'm certain you're 100% right, especially after looking at that helm. It's not ANH from what I can tell by the teeth. And the chest is different.

The armor Cam is making or made from silicone molds off of a real suit, the suit I owned. The suit is 100% ROTJ. The helmet was ROTJ and then Cam molded one of the GF helmets (with permission) and started to make the ANH versions.

There it is, short and sweet.

T*E

Crud. I had your TE suits under Cams (as if he sold them to you, not vice versa). I'll have to fix that on the chart. So the way you put it, all screen-accurate suits available today are based off of armor you owned or put out at one time. Gino bought moulds from you (from what I understand), as did Cam.

Just trying to get this armor lineage chart project right, but it's hard as everyone's info conflicts. ;)

Kev

So the way you put it, all screen-accurate suits available today are based off of armor you owned or put out at one time.

Except for TM's armor correct? If I read correctly his is made from scratch isn't it? Or am I completely off base?

• 5 months later...

Hi all!

So finally of what I understood, the Cameron Oakley ROTJ helmet isn't accurate? It's not a recast of an original and more a fan sculpt?

Does somebody have a pictures of the TE ROTJ and MovieFx ROTJ too please? I never saw one of these (some pictures of MovieFX on Jez website but not the best)

It's hard to find a good ROTJ helmet :(

I think Cameron had a real helmet and cast it, but from the photos I have seen the helmet is not assembled correctly. I think CO must have made copies of the unassembled helmet and put it together wrong and made his moulds for the one piece fibreglass helmets. This would explain why the face plate is too far down in the helmet and looks odd, while the overall shape and features of the helmet look to be accurate (apart from the assembly). I remember when CO had a website which showed just about every angle of his helmets, but I am sure it is down now.

I had a miserable time dealing with CO so never again. I got his Trooper armor AND Vader armor and both were utter crap. I was promised recompense which I never got. Instead I got a fish story about Cam being suicidal and jumping off of a ferry boat.

I took a HUGE loss on the crap that was CO trooper and Vader armor