Tupperware AM Aromur build[*AM]

The "fix" for the shins (other than disassembly) is pretty much what most people do when they want to do a butt seam and an ANH style cover strip.

I don't know if you have enough materials, but another thing that might help make the shins and other parts look better:

- cut the front of the shin overlap area more, thereby "lessening" the width of the cover strip

- on the back, use a wider cover strip

This one, the front looks closer to screen accurate, while the back is wider. Thing is, most people see the front so it's usually more acceptable to have the front look good, and have the back be whatever width necessary.

Keep in mind in your case, I wouldn't make the front screen accurate (like a 20 - 25mm) and have the back be super wide. Split the difference. Right now it looks like the front is just as wide as the back.

Hope that helps!

[Keep in mind in your case, I wouldn't make the front screen accurate (like a 20 - 25mm) and have the back be super wide. Split the difference. Right now it looks like the front is just as wide as the front.

Hope that helps!

Hey Panda....the shins are currently over lapped about a 1/2 inch at the front, so by splitting them I will be decreasing the width of the front of the shin, might possible get it a bit thinner as well. I still have room at the back to have them close with this fix.

Part of the problem was I couldn't find enough info at first on the spacing and size of the strips, did the deed then found what I was looking for....Live and learn

Progress pics on the shin fix.....got them apart, tape fitting for now....

fix02.jpg

fix04.jpg

fix05.jpg

Here's the question before I trim more....after doing a fit I could go to 35mm for the center area and a 25mm strip or stay with the 40mm, as in the comparison pic and a 25mm strip...also open to suggestion....thoughts? Thanks

I say go 35mm if it still works. The closer you can get it to "accurate" and still be able to wear it, the better. :)

Looks much better BTW

*also, make sure your ankles fit with boots on. Don't do it in socks or something, you'll make it too small!

If it was me, I would go 35mm for the center area and 20mm strip. I think it looks more accurate.

So because of my shin mess up I am almost out of the ABS glue supplied by Ward in the kits...I went to a plumbing supply store then my local hardware store (Totem) and was told that there is no white ABS glue in Alberta only yellow...something to do with building codes and being able to see the glue...any ways I picked up the yellow 9 for the inside of the shins" and some "Plumbers Goop" for the rest of the finishing I have to do, helmet and strips...hopefully I can get enough of the remaining white abs glue to do the trick.....wish me luck....

I found e6000 by accident today while shopping for nylon strap and snaps at Hancock Fabrics (a chain fabric store). I looked up from where the strap is kept and there it was. Wallyworld didn't have it, Lowe's didn't have it, Home Depot didn't have it...

Maybe a large fabric store could be a possible backup source for ya if your Michael's is as poorly-stocked as mine is. :rolleyes:

Wildabeast, definitely go for the E6000. You have to spread it on both sides, let it tack up for a couple minutes before joining and clamping the parts. It has to cure overnight, but it's very easy to use. Highly recommended!

Any craft store should have E-6000.

Michaels, Hobby Lobby, ACMoore, Ben Franklin Stores.

also amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Eclectic-Products-23...e/dp/B00178MO58

E6000 is the best, but make sure you don't lay it on too thick. It is also self leveling, so you will always get a uniform application. Once you clamp the two pieces together, you can remove any excess glue 'globs' after about 2-4 hrs using an exacto knife...(this is advisable to do).... full strength is achieved more or less after 24hrs....

Will - I think you will find that if you ask for ABS glue or E6000 on these boards people are happy to donate. Alas, you are being the guinea pig for this armor and as such the discoveries you're finding are really paving the way for everyone to come after. Perhaps we should rename this thread to reflect that. I'd make it sticky but there are some many bumps its' not necessary ;-)

Seriously - if you are running low on supplies shout out and some will be shipped unto you. PM me your addy and I'll ensure a few tubes of E6000 or whichever ABS glue you need get sent your way.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.....

Paul..if you ever want to sticky this thread, please be my guest...as for the E6000, I am going to check Michaels and Wally world today...if neither have it I'll let you know

I really appreciate everyone's help and encouragement here, as the only trooper or 501st member in my city and my nearest Garrison members 2 hours away I am building solo..but not really with everyone's here help...Thanks again

That is what the FISD is for, Troopers helping Troopers.

As for being the only one in your city, I say after you get your suit built, gather your buddies together and show it off. I can tell you there will be several of them that will be wanting their own suit of armor, and you can help them out with their build! :duim:

I really appreciate everyone's help and encouragement here, as the only trooper or 501st member in my city and my nearest Garrison members 2 hours away I am building solo..

Shin fix has started....I had to keep the width at about 40mm after doing more test fittings today...used the E600, just waiting till tomorrow for it to cure...will then sand down the fronts.....Starting to sew the canvas belt tonight...

fix06.jpg

fix07.jpg

fix08.jpg

Hey Will,

I am glad you found the E-6000. I was getting worried that I was going to have drop ship you some. Don't forget to let that fullly cure. i know you said you have a 3 day weekend, but no need to try to rush anything.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.....

Paul..if you ever want to sticky this thread, please be my guest...as for the E6000, I am going to check Michaels and Wally world today...if neither have it I'll let you know

I really appreciate everyone's help and encouragement here, as the only trooper or 501st member in my city and my nearest Garrison members 2 hours away I am building solo..but not really with everyone's here help...Thanks again

Brother, I'm in the same boat you are. Miles away, building solo, working on my first suit. Scared to death I'm going to screw up something. Trust me I do understand. I have been following your thread very closley as I'm building an AM Kit as well. Thanks for posting all that you have. :D

When I took off the strips I had to cut the return area at the knee....here is the fix so far. I took and added abs strops to build up to the level with the rest of the return for the shin/calves. Then I mixed up some ABS Goo...just waiting for it to cure over night then will sand it down tomorrow. Once the return is fixed I will add the front strips at 25mm....

fix09.jpg

fix10.jpg

fix11.jpg

fix12.jpg