Eyewear under a TK Helmet

Is it possible to wear eyeglasses or rec specs inside the most popular TK Helms? I do know one would have to consider fogging issues which isn't much of a problem nowadays and I personally can go with out wearing them. However, I sure would certainly be able to see a lot better with them on! ;)

Yes you can. I first had one of the bigger FX lids and am able to wear my glasses inside. I am now working on an ATA helmet which is much smaller than the FX and I am able (on a test fit) able to wear glasses as well.

You should be ok as long as the glasses went too big...just be careful putting it on! I'd start by putting the back on first then easing the front on. Fogging will definately be an issue, so try to find a good anti-fog spray or make a 50/50 baby shampoo water solution.

It will depend on which helmet you have and how big your head is. If you have a smaller screen accurate helmet and a large head, it's going to be a tight fit, depending on your glasses. If the frame is very flat and square, it may not fit the curvature pf the helmet. You're going to have to test fit it.

Can you wear contact lenses? That would be much easier. :)

A guy in my garrison actually had TK lenses ground to his prescription, which he then installed in his helmet. I don't recall how much it costs, but he said it worked perfectly.

A guy in my garrison actually had TK lenses ground to his prescription, which he then installed in his helmet. I don't recall how much it costs, but he said it worked perfectly.

Man, considering what Oakley quoted me for custom sunglasses lenses, that must have cost a fortune! Cool idea, though. Seriously, I wear the Oasis Hydraclear contacts...they are the way to go. Very comfortable for long periods, and they're pretty reasonable on the pricepoint.

I have an RT-Mod lid, and it's not possible for me to wear my glasses underneath it. Then again, I have a huge head - so much so I need to do the side-twist method just to get my helmet on.

Perhaps all is not lost. I recall RT stating on this board that he was starting a new project that will result in a helmet that is scaled-up in size but still relatively screen-accurate. Haven't heard anything about it in a while, but if you're interested it might be worth an email to Rob.

Perhaps all is not lost. I recall RT stating on this board that he was starting a new project that will result in a helmet that is scaled-up in size but still relatively screen-accurate. Haven't heard anything about it in a while, but if you're interested it might be worth an email to Rob.

Thanks, I will mention this .

• 2 weeks later...

How blind are you with your glasses off?

I wear glasses and have a big head. I can't wear my glasses under my MRCE. In fact, my head barely fits into the helmets as is. I couldn't even get my huge melon head to fit into a garrison mate's AP bucket. I gave up when I heard the plastic groaning in protest :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
How blind are you with your glasses off?

Not terribly blind. I've actually been involved with medieval reenacting for years and work without glasses. However, I've been known to wear my glasses under a full covered helm from time to time.

Although, taking the TK lenses into account along with my melon being completely covered I thought it would be an excellent opportunity to allow me to see a whole lot better. Just an option I'm looking into before I make a final decision.

I use both AP & RT-Mod helmets and can wear my glasses with either one. The RT seems only slightly larger than the AP, so the twist-to-put-on technique is still pretty much required with or without glasses.

My glasses do not fit under a MR CE or TE lineage helmet, the screen accurate stuff. I haven't tried TM yet, and FX is not an option.

So what I do is wear contacts - easy as that. :)

I have to say my glasses are more on the large side and stick out quite a bit. Smaller frames might just fit. Trial and error, I say!