Ear antenna

Hello there!

Does anyone have a good tip for making sure the ear antenna intercom things on the side of our heads get cut out so they fit nice and snug on our lids......no gaps! :D

I've stuck my new ones on (I've vac formed my own and made switched inside them ;) ) but want this to look sopt on as it's a SDS hero lid.

Any pointers?

2pZg0PU.jpg

cYeftpn.jpg

When I can get this right I plan to pass on my good owrk to others in need of quick easy access switches :)

So please help me help you. LOL

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Yep, I realise that. Although it does look ace when it's spot on :)

I guess it's just trial and error. If I crack it I'll let you know

The AP helmets have a sort of lip all the way round, that makes them a lot easier to cut. I just marked a pencil line all the way round and cut to that if that makes any sense. I don't think there is any 'easy' way. This is by far the most annoying part of assembling a helmet :lol:

joe

if you press the ear against the bucket , take your pencil and let the tube guide it while you mark the ear and that will give you a good idea of the shpae you need to cut to reduce the gap

god this is hard to describe!! :)

if you press the ear against the bucket , take your pencil and let the tube guide it while you mark the ear and that will give you a good idea of the shpae you need to cut to reduce the gap

god this is hard to describe!! :)

No that makes sense dude. It'll follow the contour of the lid. Cheers! :)

You could also try a contour gauge, they are inexpensive and would be a help. Its basically a stick with long "pins" running through it, you press it against something and the pins slide to fit the contour. Like this;

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

John,

This are used to take profiles of things before cutting.

I.E. skirting boards etc.

You can get plastic ones from B&Q, but there not as good as the prongs are wider so you lose detail.

The metal one above will be a better option.

Most hardware shops sell them. ;)

..on a couple of my lids after trimming the ear piece I added a piece of abs with a screw trough it in the middle of the cheek tube..I also added some backing on the inside of the helmet..it really helps pull the ear piece tight having it anchor in four places ( 2 in the top, 1 in the cheek tube, and a rivit at the bottom)

XddAD9V.jpg

9z2pYIe.jpg

lVNIPBI.jpg

BEFORE

aDsI9w0.jpg

AFTER

kjtRdtI.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

If there is a quick for this then I want to know about it :P

Each helmet is assembled differently so the trimming of the ear caps will be different each time. What I do is rough trim them so far and offer them up and see where more plastic needs to come off. It takes time and a lot of patience but it can be done. Another good thing is that if it is close enough, the screws will pull it in somewhat to close the gap.

Thanks guys. I didn't have time to take this further this weekend. Something called a Zam Wessel costume got in the way.

The circular bit needs to be cut in more oval line rather than filed flat. As the lid curves away the straight line causes the problem.

I'll crack it :)