My Helmet Build Thread

post-11477-1259503931_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

Jut thought I'd show you my lid so far. I don't know why but the helmet looks more in proportion in real life than it does in the picture, as you can see I have loads to do, filling gaps etc. I had to chop the dome in half as it looked to big for the helmet, there is also a helmet brow already on the front of the helmet so I might just work with it or sand it off and apply a more authentic one.

I will more than likely go for the ANH vibe as the frown has three vents on each side ( if that's right ? )having said that, I looked on the 501 website and stumbled across black special ops troopers, they looked cool !!

Cheers !!!

I looked on the 501 website and stumbled across black special ops troopers, they looked cool !!

Cheers !!!

I agree the TX are cool.

I'm still working on my TK though, and ANH is what it will be.

Good luck and have fun, this is the place to find all the help you need.

post-11477-1259503931_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

Jut thought I'd show you my lid so far. I don't know why but the helmet looks more in proportion in real life than it does in the picture, as you can see I have loads to do, filling gaps etc. I had to chop the dome in half as it looked to big for the helmet, there is also a helmet brow already on the front of the helmet so I might just work with it or sand it off and apply a more authentic one.

I will more than likely go for the ANH vibe as the frown has three vents on each side ( if that's right ? )having said that, I looked on the 501 website and stumbled across black special ops troopers, they looked cool !!

Cheers !!!

You'll have to go hero with the 3 vents as the stunts had 4. that means bubble lenses and a lower brow..

What helmet is that? The features look really soft.

Hi there all,

A hero it will be, thanks for that.

The helmet was purchased off Ebay . It's made of fibreglass and came in in 6 pieces, I've yet to add the mouth piece yet, as mentioned before I've had to chop the dome in half ( I'll send more photos) as it looked two big for the helmet and sat too low, it didn't look right. I think I'll also sand off the fibreglass brow and add a a rubber one lower down. Hopefully after more car body filler and sanding it will start to take shape.

I went for this option due to it being a bargain price, I've seen other helmets on Ebay etc but they have a huge price tag.

Cheers !!!!!

post-11477-1259615220_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

I've posted a side view of the bucket, I know the cut looks scary but the dome was far too big, body filler will fix that plus a load of sanding. it also gives a view of the fiberglass brow that was already moulded to the dome. I've glued the ears in this position ,this is due to the fact that this is the only way they would fit.

I should have said that the helmet was actually off Ebay uk it cost around £27 and being a fellow from the UK I'm not sure how that translates to US dollars.

Cheers Guys !!!!!!

Hi all.

I've dived in today and decided to remove the pre moulded helmet brow, it doesn't look too pretty at the moment but I'm sure after all the filling and sanding and then being able to add more authentic brow, it will be worth all the effort.

Speaking of brows would any one know if its possible to buy a small amount of rubber strip (in the UK ),I've looked on line and it appears that you have to buy a role of the stuff. plus because of nature of my helmet, a u section wouldn't be any good, I would need to look at a solid strip of rubber to glue down.

I'll post another photo when the helmet looks less messy.

Cheers !!

Hi there all,

My helmet build is progressing nicely, I've filled all big gaps and will be able to primer coat the whole thing soon, I've removed the fibreglass brow ( see images in my ' helmet build ' topic ). I've also got some hovi-mix tips on order.

I have one issue though, it appears that my traps above the ears look small in comparison to images off the net. I was wondering, if I want my lid to be 501 acceptable would my traps have to be a certain size. if so, this would leave me with a bit of a quandary. I could either try and grind out bigger indentations or, fill in the said gaps and apply a decal over the top.

What do you guys think ?

Cheers !!

Hi Ade you dont need to start a separate thread for all the questions that are going to come up during the build so i have merged them. This was also help in the replies as you frequently ask for feedback with out posting pictures. Then the members can see what you have already done in mods to the lid :)

The reason why the trap on the forehead above the brow trim just forward of the eye is that the helmet you have was cast when it was fully built and the specific helmet build tells have been cast into history, also the fx helmet has ever so slightly different shape and size traps than that of a more accurate helmet. I would not worry too much about this, once painted i dont think you will notice, it may be harder to fir decals in that area.

Hi Ade you dont need to start a separate thread for all the questions that are going to come up during the build so i have merged them. This was also help in the replies as you frequently ask for feedback with out posting pictures. Then the members can see what you have already done in mods to the lid :)

Thanks for that, I guess this isn't the correct area to ask but I'd like to show a more recent photo of the build so far but the two images I have, have almost taken up my attachment space, is it possible to delete the current images ?

Best get your self a photo bucket account so you can upload photos from your computer to the hosting site and then you copy the image code and insert a picture directly into your post.

Hi all,

I've now got my hovi mix tips and have a decal sheet on order, I'ts starting to come together now, should be able to primer coat the lid very soon.

Got a few more questions to ask, I've looked at the 501 requirements regarding hero lids and I'm a little unsure, I think it stipulates that a hero should have two screws on the ear sections one above the antenna and one below. I've looked at various movie stills from ANH and there only appears to be one screw above the antenna, also should a hero have three bumps or four on the antenna ?

As I'm prone to getting helmet sections wrong, I'm referring to the bumpy rectangular section which sits in the centre of the ears when I refer to the word Antenna.

Cheers all and thanks again !!!!!

I hope you have not yet stuck on the tube stripes as they should face the other direction with the ((((((( curve going forwards and not towards the ears as you have them here.

IMG_1014.jpg

ps the ear screws ;

for stunt there are 3, with one above and below the bumpy part of the ear and one at the bottom near the neck trim..

for hero there are 2, with one above the bumpy part of the ear and one at the bottom near the neck trim..

and as for teeth, hero had a total of 6 and stunt helmets had anything between a total of 6 and 10 :)

crude guide as to where to put screws for hero

IMG_1014-Copy.jpg

crude guide as to where to put screws for stunt

IMG_1014.jpg

Thanks for the info, much appreciated, no worries about the blue tubes, they're not real decals, I've just blue tacked them on to see how they look. On the decal note , i had a sheet delivered this morning , they look cool. Almost got everything to complete the build now. I've seen some dark green bubble lenses on ebay, going for around £13 might grab a pair rather than messing around with motorcycle visors etc.

Cheers !!

• 3 weeks later...