Waterproof/weatherproof gloves

So we trooped a holiday parade on Saturday in freezing rain. The gloves I'm currently using are really cheap cotton based gloves and they just soaked up all the water and got really really cold. It was like having my hands soaked in freezing water for 2 hours.

I'm looking for some good gloves that are either waterproof or at least weatherproofed. How well do the Nomex gloves work? Are the cheap black rubber gloves good?

Suggestions?

Nomex is no more waterproof than cotton / fabric gloves. In fact, the leather palm will get soaked too!

I would just get some cheap black rubber chemical gloves (which is what they used in the movies) and wear your thin cotton gloves or liners underneath for warmth. They will be 100% waterproof, better than any fabric could hope to be.

I sometimes use some jogging glove liners that I got from one of those outdoor / camping / hiking high tech stores. They wick moisture, act a thin insulating layer and can be used under other gloves or alone. They're used for joggers, etc..

I can tell you from experience that nomex is not your friend in cold & wet. Terry certainly has the right of it in advice, and rubber gloves are more canon anyway.

I can tell you from experience that nomex is not your friend in cold & wet. Terry certainly has the right of it in advice, and rubber gloves are more canon anyway.

I agree with Paul and Terry. Get yourself a set of the rubber gloves with the screen-accurate latex hand plates glued on the backs. R2Dan sells them, among others.

They definitely feel different than the nomex gloves (I have both), and although under normal conditions I prefer the feel of Nomex gloves versus heavy rubber gloves, I can't imagine trooping in them given the freezing rain & snow conditions of last weekend's Richmond Christmas Parade.

I'm a skier. This is what you want. Way better than neoprene. There is a 100% waterproof Xtreme version that is one step up from this but they are a little thicker and they have a red "X" that the handplate may cover or you may need to blackout. This should do the trick for most conditions.

Seirus All Weather Glove