Dearmeat

Hi there Dearmeat,

Check out these threads:

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?show...=8725&hl=VT

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?show...=8305&hl=VT

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?show...=8066&hl=VT

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?show...=3497&hl=VT

Hope they help!

What is "VT" armor. I found this being sold on fleabay and was wondering what you guys thought about it as I' a noobe.

here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stormtrooper-Armor-Sta...=item3a55150ef0

thanks guys,

Keith.................... ;)

Now this is why I ALWAYS ask you guys. Very impressive to even pick up on things like a sticker and know who makes them. Thanks again for the help. I'm looking to get my first TK armor after the holidays and have been busting my butt doing research. Thanks for all the help. Question? is "VT" armor good? :rolleyes:

I think it’s a decent kit cost wise, but you do have to plan and do A LOT more work if you want it to look really good / screen accurate.

I could have slapped mine together but I chose to take my time with every piece. Without a heat sealing iron and a heat gun, and Dremeling and sanding, things are NOT going to fit right – so be prepared for a big job if you’re picky like me.

Just about every part needed significant modification, and I’m not talking about just Dremeling a corner or something. There’s parts that just don’t line up (one side of something will be inches off from the other) and they will require some serious surgery to fit. AP is probably like that too based on my research and understanding.

The color is a cream almost beige color, it’s not white. So if you want “pure white” you’re not going to get that. The surface of the ABS is also not very shiny, you’d need to polish it a lot more.

Durability wise, it’s good but there are some thin spots throughout. The lid is good, but the aerator sockets are very thin. The face and ear details are softer than other helmets I’ve seen.

Parts of the kit come pre-trimmed, some parts don’t. I think in the end I would prefer to trim it myself. Where someone else makes cuts isn’t always where I would choose to make cuts. I would have left some extra material for safety and to allow for more manipulation with the heat iron / gun.

The arm pieces are just like AP (you get the same shoulder bell, bicep and forearm for both sides). The left shin / ankle opening is MUCH smaller than the right side, you’ll need to compensate for that. The kit comes with 15mm shims for arms and 20mm for the legs.

It really depends on how picky you are with screen accuracy, look, etc.. Quality wise, I’d say it’s better than FX for sure in terms of accuracy, but I think AP is still better in terms of color, shinyness, etc.

Personally, I think it ranks slightly above ATA since it doesn’t need painting (and I’m personally not keen on the ATA helmet dome part and sharpness, but that’s just my opinion).

I think there’s more choices available now that the new FX kits and other armorers like Tupperware TK are making kits more user friendly (eg: extending the plastic so that you don’t need shims, you just cut where you need to) and the parts look really good too. Even though I researched for quite some time, lurking on FISD for almost a year, etc. I think I rushed my decision a bit. I don't regret buying it at all, but with so many choices now I think you have lots of options. I also think it was good to build a kit and learn from the experience. In the future, I would like to get something different to suit my needs.

I’m not trying to sway anyone in their decision, it’s up to you to decide what armor is right for you and your use. Do the research and pick what works for you. Don't get a "Brand X" kit just because someone says "It's awesome!".

If I have any advice for people wanting to build a TK, I would really research what YOU want to DO with your TK based on a checklist, and evaluate which armorers supply what you need. *if this is helpful, maybe this can even be a checklist stickied somewhere?

Eg:

How screen accurate do you want your TK to be? How sharp do the details need to be? (100% screen accurate / EIB status, needs to look good, or needs to be recognizable as a “Stormtrooper”, needs to be acceptable in the 501st?)

Do you plan to troop heavily in your TK? This may help you decide on what plastic would be suitable (constant use, mild trooping, display only)

Do you intend on painting your TK? Are you prepared to sand, clean, prep, mask, primer, paint, etc.?

Have you considered the cost of materials / having the right facility to paint your TK? (cost of paint, sandpaper, masking, respirator / fabric mask)

Does the TK come trimmed? Will this save you time or cost you headaches? Is this worth the cost to you?

Are you ready to do more detailed work like heating and bending plastic that doesn’t fit? (using a heat gun, heat sealing iron, Dremel, sanding, polishing?)

Will you need to add shims to make the TK fit your body type? (you need extra plastic, and will need to cut, Dremel, heat, sand, etc..)

Does the “Body” armor come with everything you need? (few come with everything you need – things like elastic, webbing, buckles, rivets, Velcro, glue, etc..)

Does the helmet come with everything you need? (lenses, mic tips, stickers, rubber trim, etc..)

What tools will you need? I found that having most of the tools already saved me a lot of headache. (Dremel, rivet gun, heat gun, heat sealing iron, glue, tape, clamps, etc..)

I think it’s a decent kit cost wise, but you do have to plan and do A LOT more work if you want it to look really good / screen accurate.

I could have slapped mine together but I chose to take my time with every piece. Without a heat sealing iron and a heat gun, and Dremeling and sanding, things are NOT going to fit right – so be prepared for a big job if you’re picky like me.

Just about every part needed significant modification, and I’m not talking about just Dremeling a corner or something. There’s parts that just don’t line up (one side of something will be inches off from the other) and they will require some serious surgery to fit. AP is probably like that too based on my research and understanding.

The color is a cream almost beige color, it’s not white. So if you want “pure white” you’re not going to get that. The surface of the ABS is also not very shiny, you’d need to polish it a lot more.

Durability wise, it’s good but there are some thin spots throughout. The lid is good, but the aerator sockets are very thin. The face and ear details are softer than other helmets I’ve seen.

Parts of the kit come pre-trimmed, some parts don’t. I think in the end I would prefer to trim it myself. Where someone else makes cuts isn’t always where I would choose to make cuts. I would have left some extra material for safety and to allow for more manipulation with the heat iron / gun.

The arm pieces are just like AP (you get the same shoulder bell, bicep and forearm for both sides). The left shin / ankle opening is MUCH smaller than the right side, you’ll need to compensate for that. The kit comes with 15mm shims for arms and 20mm for the legs.

It really depends on how picky you are with screen accuracy, look, etc.. Quality wise, I’d say it’s better than FX for sure in terms of accuracy, but I think AP is still better in terms of color, shinyness, etc.

Personally, I think it ranks slightly above ATA since it doesn’t need painting (and I’m personally not keen on the ATA helmet dome part and sharpness, but that’s just my opinion).

I think there’s more choices available now that the new FX kits and other armorers like Tupperware TK are making kits more user friendly (eg: extending the plastic so that you don’t need shims, you just cut where you need to) and the parts look really good too. Even though I researched for quite some time, lurking on FISD for almost a year, etc. I think I rushed my decision a bit. I don't regret buying it at all, but with so many choices now I think you have lots of options. I also think it was good to build a kit and learn from the experience. In the future, I would like to get something different to suit my needs.

I’m not trying to sway anyone in their decision, it’s up to you to decide what armor is right for you and your use. Do the research and pick what works for you. Don't get a "Brand X" kit just because someone says "It's awesome!".

If I have any advice for people wanting to build a TK, I would really research what YOU want to DO with your TK based on a checklist, and evaluate which armorers supply what you need. *if this is helpful, maybe this can even be a checklist stickied somewhere?

Eg:

How screen accurate do you want your TK to be? How sharp do the details need to be? (100% screen accurate / EIB status, needs to look good, or needs to be recognizable as a “Stormtrooper”, needs to be acceptable in the 501st?)

Do you plan to troop heavily in your TK? This may help you decide on what plastic would be suitable (constant use, mild trooping, display only)

Do you intend on painting your TK? Are you prepared to sand, clean, prep, mask, primer, paint, etc.?

Have you considered the cost of materials / having the right facility to paint your TK? (cost of paint, sandpaper, masking, respirator / fabric mask)

Does the TK come trimmed? Will this save you time or cost you headaches? Is this worth the cost to you?

Are you ready to do more detailed work like heating and bending plastic that doesn’t fit? (using a heat gun, heat sealing iron, Dremel, sanding, polishing?)

Will you need to add shims to make the TK fit your body type? (you need extra plastic, and will need to cut, Dremel, heat, sand, etc..)

Does the “Body” armor come with everything you need? (few come with everything you need – things like elastic, webbing, buckles, rivets, Velcro, glue, etc..)

Does the helmet come with everything you need? (lenses, mic tips, stickers, rubber trim, etc..)

What tools will you need? I found that having most of the tools already saved me a lot of headache. (Dremel, rivet gun, heat gun, heat sealing iron, glue, tape, clamps, etc..)

I second that! :D A lot of good info there.

Eg:

This has helped out a lot, and thank you. I would like for my first suit to be sturdy, and 501st acceptable. Detail is a plus, but I'm not a picky with my first suit. looking for something acceptable, and low maintenance.

This has helped out a lot, and thank you. I would like for my first suit to be sturdy, and 501st acceptable. Detail is a plus, but I'm not a picky with my first suit. looking for something acceptable, and low maintenance.

there is a public thread over on mepd http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=5766&st=40 about the new AM armor. It will be the replacement for FX. Should be just as durable as FX. the price is right.

there is a public thread over on mepd http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=5766&st=40 about the new AM armor. It will be the replacement for FX. Should be just as durable as FX. the price is right.

This looks Very promising. I might end up getting a set of this/ I wonder if it is as strong as the FX armor? No weak spots? <_<

This looks Very promising. I might end up getting a set of this/ I wonder if it is as strong as the FX armor? No weak spots? <_<

I would assume strength would be equivalent to FX - VERY strong. Someone will surely have some reports as soon as it starts shipping. I had no weak spots on my FX.

I would suggest getting the LITE version of the AM for now. Get a better helmet. For $150 more that they will charge for the full kit - you could get a nice lid like MRCE, or any number of other makers. Even the VT helm that you initially referenced would look good with the AM armor. IF... AM comes out with an all new helmet that looks more screen-like - that would be cool.

They say they are in the process of making a more accurate helmet. One that will be closer to the MRCE

This would be good, getting the lite. I have recently obtained a MRCE bucket. I have everything BUT the armor itself. Just looking to get the set of body armor to finish my suit.