ATA painting help (HIPS plastic)

Is there any special way of painting ATA armor (HIPS plastic), such as sanding, priming, and what type of paint to use? just getting my ducks lined up before i purchage ATA armor. Thanks!

I'm painting my ATA right now. It kinda sucks though because the temperature is getting colder. i have a heater in the garage though & I'm taking my time. For paint, it seems that everyone seems to be using the Rustoleum stuff. I have the plastic primer and the high performance glossy white. What ever brand paint you decide to use, use the primer & the main coat from the same brand.

I am curious about this too. I have a suit made out of Sterelyne and I used Rustoluem Plastic Spectitally Paint then added White Enamel to it. I looks good, but can easily be scuffed or scratched off.

Ā 

On my broken ear caps I tested another way to get shine and I was surprised. I used a old can of spay enamel for drawings (to prevent smearing) and the shine is ridiculous. However, it was VERY liquidity so on the ear bumps there is less.

Ā 

So would Primer, Main Coat, then Enamel be a wise way to go as well?

I advise following Mike's painting guide to the letter. Also, you're going to want to paint in a low humidity environment, ideally in the 60 degree temp range. Also make sure to let it cure a good 5 days to a week for best results.

Low humidity, temps in the 60s, cure for 5 days. Sounds like you and your new ATA need to take a week-long vacation in Las Vegas. :P

Ā 

It's been cold and rainy here in the Washington D.C. area for weeks. No painting for me. :duimomlaag:

I had my armor painted with autobody paint. My painter used an adhesion promoter called bulldog and then painted with a gloss white. You will need to wet sand all parts and be careful about what you use to dry them. Oils from your skin and other sources can cause a bad finish, the worse case is that you have to re-sand and repaint. There are a lot of good threads dealing with painting your armor and bucket, I advise you to review them.

naatsirhc said:
I had my armor painted with autobody paint. My painter used an adhesion promoter called bulldog and then painted with a gloss white. You will need to wet sand all parts and be careful about what you use to dry them. Oils from your skin and other sources can cause a bad finish, the worse case is that you have to re-sand and repaint. There are a lot of good threads dealing with painting your armor and bucket, I advise you to review them.

Dude!

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

• 4 months later...

Of all the pictures I've seen in regards to priming, it's always been the helmet that gets primed prior to painting. For those of you who have spray painted your armor, did you use a primer on all of the pieces? Or did you just spray them white directly?

Ā 

Tom

Of all the pictures I've seen in regards to priming, it's always been the helmet that gets primed prior to painting. For those of you who have spray painted your armor, did you use a primer on all of the pieces? Or did you just spray them white directly?

Ā 

Tom

You're right... I just primed the helmet.

This was, however, for my sandtrooper... so letting the paint "chip" and look "worn" after a while is part of the point.

Ā 

On my ESB I will probably prime the entire thing.

I don't think everyone does though.

YES ALWAYS PRIME BEFORE PAINTING. Its like a cardinal rule of painting. I could see making a TD and not priming first as a way of messying up the paint job a bit to maybe add to the weathering. But if you want a nice shiney TK, you will need to prime it. Paint doesn't stick to everything very good but primer does a very good job at sticking to everything. So the primer sticks verywell to the plastic and in turn sticks to the paint very well in effect glueing your paint to your armor. Unprimed armor is more prone to runs, drips and pitting during painting and after painting is more prone to chipping and flaking.

• 2 weeks later...