YUCK! Moldy armor!

I'm probably in violation of common sense here, but this is something I never would have expected to happen.

Today is the first time I looked at my armor since I packed it up after the Star Wars Concert in Boston, and I am glad I did before I left it under my bed in my dorm for another week (Thanksgiving break). My under suit, and other soft parts were so damp with sweat that now, a week later, there is mold just about all over everything in my tote. I haven't even tried to remove it yet, but I am hoping it didn't stain the plastic! As for the soft parts... I'm hoping I can just wash them. Right now I am just trying to let everything air out while I finish packing to go home in... an hour and a half :?

Another strange side effect, it would seem the moisture has penitrated the paint job on my blaster, and now it has gross sweat filled pimples under the surface of the paint. Yuck!

Any suggestions?

Hopefully the armor's finish is not ruined so I can still go elite, otherwise I might have to go Sandy :unsure:

Yikes. I'd suggest washing that underarmor in hot water, to try an kill off any bacteria.

Not sure if your armor is painted or not, but using a disinfectant would help. Hose off any mildew first, then if you don't want to use chemicals (bleach, cleaners, even shower / bathroom cleaner comes to mind, etc..) use a mixture of 50% vinegar and 50% water.

Scrub the armor with the mixture with a sponge, then rinse thoroughly and dry it. I know this might sound weird but vinegar is a natural disinfectant / bacteria killer. You can use it in smelly shoes, etc and it will kill the bacteria. If you rinse it thoroughly, the vinegar smell will dissipate after a while.

Sounds like you'll need to repaint that blaster. :P

O_o hun.... i guess my highschool music teacher was right about cleaning your equipment after every use.... :)

Did u pack it right after u took it off? i usually let it sit that night and clean and pack the next day ( hard pieces that is)

I agree pics ,PICS we want pics!!!!!!

Something I usually do is just bring a plastic shopping bag along, and when you're done stuff your undersuit into the bag for washing, and seal it shut for the ride home, etc.. That way, your armor doesn't get smelly and you can wash the undersuit when you get home.

And I don't want to see pics. Bleh! :wacko:

Yeah that is why I open my bin, remove all the soft stuff for washing and allow the armor to air out as soon as I get home from any troop, here in South Florida stuff will mildew fast if you don't.

Good luck man, a good hot wash with laundry detergent should take care of your soft parts and hopefully any stains left behind from it.