what constitutes a recast?

darthgarth

Here is a thing. My friend and I are talking about having a go at sculpting some armour. Principally we are talking about using photographs and the films as our main resources. having said that I have an fx suit and an mrce helmet and I can just see it being used as a reference for basic shape. Not deliberately but you know how it is.

What is the general opinion, could this be classed as recast? depending on how it turned out, would it be fairer to say that it is fx derived? even though the intention is obvously to create a brand new set of moulds as a new sculpt.

Also having seen some old posts on other forums deriding troopermasters work as a recast in what way could you evidence your own work. Personally I would be gutted to create a suit only for it to be decided that its got to be ripped of as 'the suit is too hard for anyone to create from scratch'.

I cant see a photographic record as ever being quite good enough.

discuss

Garreth

Using them as reference is fine, dropping them in silicone is considered to be recasting. I would say a photo record documenting the sculpt would be fine.

Have a look around the forum there are so many threads on this subject. It can get a little boring for a lot of us as these issues have been beaten to death so many times!

Have fun.

Joe

I would say that if you have photographic proof of the sculpting process, then that is enough.

Its not an easy route at all to take, and i wish you all the luck.

Even trooper master is always updating his molds. You will always notice different things from photographs.

Where the FX fails in my mind is that its not as organic as the screen used armor.

If you need help just ask

and please keep us all updated as you progress.

cheers