Thoughts on the "Master Replicas" Stormtrooper helmet

Is the MRCE a "simpler" helmet to mod??? There are enough mods you have to make to the MRCE to make it acceptable that I think you should also consider the other helmets. I think a lot of guys get the MRCE helmet because they have big heads and it fits better. It looks much better than the old FX lid which was the other alternative for big headed guys. I'm an AP guy and I think its well worth the cost and time to assemble but it is smaller in size.

I have the Master Replica helmet, and the reason I got it was because I'm not very interested in assembling things, and the thought of assembling an entire helmet was too much for me. I did do some mods to it to get it more to my liking. It is definitely 501st acceptable, just make sure you swap out the lenses for a darker green that won't show your eyes when someone takes your picture with a flash.

I also went with an MRCE helmet as I was unsure of my helmet building skills. It's very sturdy and the mods are fairly simple. If I were going to purchase a new helmet tomorrow I would buy a kit, the price of the MRCE has gone up significantly and I'm sure with all the tutorials here I could pull off a kit no problem.

The MRCE is like instant gratification out of the box with only a few mods.

I went with the MR due to price

When they first came out, they were pretty cheap. Now, not so much

Mine was 80 bucks, now it's around $180

You'd be better off with a "more accurate" helmet such as AP, TE etc

I did the full mod

Disassemble, repaint the whole thing, replace ears, fill the gaps, sand the seams,and file the teeth -All work that you'd do on a better helmet anyway.

but ...

if you already have one in hand, it's well worth the effort.

here's mine finished as a Sandy;

gallery_69_178_159197.jpg

gallery_69_178_84546.jpg

MRCE are symetrical helmets that need mods to get them up to par. I f u like the symetrical look its a good helmet.

personally i would get one for display only. as far as trooping in it i rather go for a wonky movie style one.

But like Nat said and just look at the pics it looks awesome.

really depends on u.

I own one just for display. To me the big fixes are the teeth and the seams (joints) above the mouth. I think the teeth are way too small and look funny. The big seams are also unattractive and stand out to the eye of any trooper. But to each his own.

Ditto on all that's been said so far...

They were a good bucket for $80 - $100... but if you're paying closer to $200 then I agree with nathan... get a TE2 or AP or something more accurate to begin with.

UNLESS you want a totally idealized bucket (which I did at one point)... then you can get one and do all the mods and make it pretty sweet.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I went with the MR due to price

When they first came out, they were pretty cheap. Now, not so much

Mine was 80 bucks, now it's around $180

You'd be better off with a "more accurate" helmet such as AP, TE etc

I did the full mod

Disassemble, repaint the whole thing, replace ears, fill the gaps, sand the seams,and file the teeth -All work that you'd do on a better helmet anyway.

but ...

if you already have one in hand, it's well worth the effort.

here's mine finished as a Sandy;

gallery_69_178_159197.jpg

gallery_69_178_84546.jpg

Very sweet setup. My MR helmet arrived this morning by Fedex, and looking at it I can already see I will need to do something with the "padding" inside as it feels like a Bobble head while wearing it, and the lens will have to go. I will more that likely use this until I feel more comfortable with my skills of building my suit. At this point I am still unsure of my building skills. I am too pumped about putting together a suit at this point.

I also went with an MRCE helmet as I was unsure of my helmet building skills. It's very sturdy and the mods are fairly simple. If I were going to purchase a new helmet tomorrow I would buy a kit, the price of the MRCE has gone up significantly and I'm sure with all the tutorials here I could pull off a kit no problem.

The MRCE is like instant gratification out of the box with only a few mods.

This is why I went with the MR helmet as well as I'm not sure of my skills yet. I have just gotten started and trying to get up and running at this time. This was an easy way to start.

i was intimidated by my ATA shadow trooper helmet, but to be honest it was really easy to put together. it may help that i read as many build tutorials before finishing it. seems to me that the fan made helmets have more room inside. B)

• 2 weeks later...

I own a MR (my first helmet) and also own a AP

Some things about the MR I thought I'd bring up:

1)The eye's are too big : Has anyone noticed this? also the eyes don't have the recess curve that TE or AP have. Some people forget about the curve and take too much material away when assembling their buckets.

2) The frown is too small (sharp and narrow): you can file the teeth out but this is still an issue, not so much for people achieving the Hero look but it's bad luck if you're doing a stunt.

3) The helmet is noisy : yep you heard me! the MR pieces are glued together but all the joins still flex and rub together making it very creaky and noisy, this is fine if you don't use an amp just don't move your head while you talk.

4) A MR helmet won't match any Armour (color wise) without a respray

Werstrooper said:
A MR helmet won't match any Armour (color wise) without a respray

I don't necessarily agree with this point. Yes, when certain flash photography is used, the helmet may appear different in color, but in person it can match.-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

bluehickey said:
I don't necessarily agree with this point. Yes, when certain flash photography is used, the helmet may appear different in color, but in person it can match. ------------

True but in my case it's not the case :P

here's a pic of me in my old MR and wearing an FX (fx recast), the Recast is more of a grey kind of ABS

-------

I have sinse bought a AP kit.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Werstrooper said:

True but in my case it's not the case :P

here's a pic of me in my old MR and wearing an FX (fx recast), the Recast is more of a grey kind of ABS

------------

I have sinse bought a AP kit.

It's too bad that it didn't match your set of armor, I thought I would throw in my experience with the colors matching so that others reading this thread don't dismiss the MRCE altogether, worried that it won't match anything they get.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

3) The helmet is noisy : yep you heard me! the MR pieces are glued together but all the joins still flex and rub together making it very creaky and noisy, this is fine if you don't use an amp just don't move your head while you talk.

4) A MR helmet won't match any Armour (color wise) without a respray

I have an MRCE and it's solid. Of course, I did a full tear down and reassemble.

Technically speaking the helmets not matching the armor color-wise is screen accurate.