Who can identify this helmet?

But as I said, the decals don't match up. Mine have sharp corners where they are rounded on the original helmet Matt owned and cut/rounded where they should be sharp/pointy. The tube stripe ends are also trimmed differently towards the front + the vocoder paintwork is different and doesn't go all the way back towards the neck trim, like on the original. I don't think there is one decal outline that matches.

It's perplexing, 'cause the bars in the decals seems to match the TE owned helmet... but if all were cut from the same template, then that would explain that similarity.

I take it the original was taken apart for making molds? Would mean that the fiberglass mold was made prior to the helmet being taken apart and molded for vac-forming purposes, 'cause the ears are positioned slightly differently, with scratches and glue marks on the original that aren't on mine, if it is indeed from the TE owned helmet... it just seems unlikely with the discrepancies of the decals.

Edited by Too Much Garlic

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TE ROTJ helmet moulds are made from casts of the outside, not the inside. The replicas he made (and still makes) are far too soft in appearance comparing them to original LFL helmets.

Again, the eras are the main factor here. None of the screen used ROTJ helmets have the ANH/ESB ear caps, just the ESB Mk2's. I've never looked closely at Matt's original ROTJ helmet or your casting, so could you do a comparison of the decals to show where they differ?

The TE ROTJ helmet moulds are made from casts of the outside, not the inside. The replicas he made (and still makes) are far too soft in appearance comparing them to original LFL helmets.

Again, the eras are the main factor here. None of the screen used ROTJ helmets have the ANH/ESB ear caps, just the ESB Mk2's. I've never looked closely at Matt's original ROTJ helmet or your casting, so could you do a comparison of the decals to show where they differ?

My first background helmet had the ANH/ESB ears and came from the Elstree Deathstar set direct, although you are right that none can be seen on screen, although I think they are in the background unless it was on set as a backup or replacement helmet.

I didn't realise Matt's ROTJ molds were from the outside, interesting....

The teeth match up exactly though. I think it is from the TE helmet but something has been done to it maybe? So much does match, is it just the decals that differ?

Joe

Edited by JoeR

It is not a recast, I had this in person and too many things match the two originals that I owned, no way this is a recast. Brow trim and neck trim are exactly as the originals, lots of other little 'tells' that I won't go into detail about. Absoulutely no way this is a recast.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the long wait, but here are some pictures. About the best angles I could match. Not perfect, but at least it shows what I'm talking about. It is very clear that if my cast comes from that helmet, then it doesn't look the same now as it did when the mold for my cast was made. The ears are positioned differently and some of the decals are different.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I agree with the fact that the paint marks doesn't match the original helmet.

But if you look at the teeth cut, it match. The whole shape (assembly) is similar.

Keep in mind that with a silicone mould, you can have some minor deformations (if it's not well made).

Your helmet have a damn good pedigree B)

Well, it would make sense for him to make his as close to the originals, seeing as he owned an original and therefore had the perfect reference.

Taking the helmet apart later definitely explains the different placement of the ears and partially explained some of the scuffs and tears around the ears, but not so much the tear around the left trap - is that the right word for the decal right above the eyes?

-----------

Well, with all this evidence and plausible scenarios, the likelihood that it is in fact from that TE owned original helmet is definitely high. I just had my suspicions due to the decals and placement of ears and some scuffs that weren't on my cast... but again... all that could have happened later.

Edited by gmrhodes13

• 3 weeks later...

Been wondering how to paint this. I take it the RotJ helmets were ABS vac-formed and not painted, right!? So... which brand of paint emulates the accurate ABS plastic look?

Was also wondering whether I should paint the decals, seeing as there are imprints from them on the cast, or I should just use decals from Mike, TK-4510. If I should paint them, which brand and color match the grey in the decals? Seems it's just grey duct tape... but are there different shades of grey on those? I want to try to match the original it was molded from as much as possibly, only discounting the damage and differences that seems to have occurred at a later time, after the molding for my cast.

The detailing should be easy enough... it's the white base-coat that's gonna be the most tricky, imo.

Also... I guess this could be moved to the TE Derived Armor section...

Been wondering how to paint this. I take it the RotJ helmets were ABS vac-formed and not painted, right!? So... which brand of paint emulates the accurate ABS plastic look?

ROTJ's were thermoformed from ABS, not painted like the stunt ANH/ESB lids.

Without having it color tone matched up and then specially mixed up for you.... The closest one on the shelf is the Rust-oleum Biscuit Enamel spray paint #210372 UPC: 0 2006612621 6.

If you can't find any, just PM me, the shelves are full at the Home Depots and Lowes near me.

I will happy to help you out with it. Long as it is not Air mail / over seas (Arerosol paints are prohibited on airplanes: will explode from the air pressure).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Having tracked down the guy responsible for making these, I learned that about 8 were made, so that makes it pretty special, imo. I wanted to ask permission to scan and print a scaled down version of it to go with the SFS and the Vader helmet scans (I also did the Vader scan), but I couldn't agree to the terms, so it's not to be. But the scan is done, so might as well show it off for you guys.

It isn't in the same quality as professional scans, but it's decent enough and would have worked perfectly for scaled replicas.

---------

And this was the dream line-up. May have another option going for a RotJ, and if not... then that's okay too.

---------

This scan, though, won't be used or shared.

Edited by gmrhodes13