Who can identify this helmet?

I am not sure what I have here. I know what it is supposed to be. I know what I was told it is but I thought that you guys and gals might be able to clarify it for me.

Here it is:

FjPru8v.jpgzKqEx24.jpgCp6rf70.jpgMZQCjvD.jpg

Thanks for the help! Whatever it is I think it's my new helmet!

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was given the helmet for helping a friend with his suit. Supposedly the molds are from an original ROTJ Hero, but I'm not really sure what was molded. At the time I just thought it was cool so I took him up on his offer! Now that I'm starting my suit I am wondering if I shouldn't purchase a ATA helmet or something and keep this as a display piece.

Simple. The ears are the BIGGEST give away. ANH and ESB have ears that had 3 screws holding them in place, once at the base of the ear, and two at the top. There were also 2 types of helmets made for ROTJ. Type one helmets can be seen in the hanger bay scenes on the death star at the beginning of the movie. Type two can be seen practically everywhere else in the movie, primarily the Endor battle scenes.. Its quite simple two tell the differences between the two. The shape of the type 1 helmet is much more reminiscent to the ANH and ESB helmet shape, while the type 2 helmet is much more wonky and distinctive.

I was given the helmet for helping a friend with his suit. Supposedly the molds are from an original ROTJ Hero, but I'm not really sure what was molded. At the time I just thought it was cool so I took him up on his offer! Now that I'm starting my suit I am wondering if I shouldn't purchase a ATA helmet or something and keep this as a display piece.

For Now, until you get all the info you can on this. Go get the ATA. It don't cost much and can do you till you get better. Keep this as a pure collectible. If this is realy an un-used movie prop, it will or will be down the road, big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

For Now, until you get all the info you can on this. Go get the ATA. It don't cost much and can do you till you get better. Keep this as a pure collectible. If this is realy an un-used movie prop, it will or will be down the road, big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Nice casting. I agree with Caleb. That derives from Matt/TE's ROTJ helmet, the traps match up. Cool! It is worth keeping. These are pretty rare.

Thank you guys! I've had the helmet for 13 years and know more about it now than I ever have. I'm not sure whether or not it is an original prop, but it's cool to me nonetheless. I think I'm gonna finish it up and use it for my suit.

Its not original, it looks to be cast from TE's original Jedi helmet.

Its not original, it looks to be cast from TE's original Jedi helmet.

Didnt TE use ANH ears or modified ears for his ROTJ helmets? Also, he said that he has had the helmet for 13 years now. Did matt obtain the original helmet and armor that far back?

Please forgive my ignorance, as I said I'm kinda new to all of this, but what does "cast from TE's original" refer to? Is TE a maker or brand?

Trooper Expert or TE for short, was a pseudonym that Matt G. used when he produced armor and helmets. He had obtained an original set of screen used armor which was used for Return of the Jedi. He made copies of the helmet and armor starting back in 1999. He recently did a run of ROTJ helmets and armor made of styrene plastic. He only made 3 out of ABS plastic, which was what the original screen used ROTJ armor was made of.

Please forgive my ignorance, as I said I'm kinda new to all of this, but what does "cast from TE's original" refer to? Is TE a maker or brand?

matt aka TE found a screen used helmet from ROTJ. He took moulds of that helmet, and vac formed a run of helmets. A friend of his also did fibreglass casts from the moulds, this looks like one of those copies. The original run was over 10 years ago. As far as I'm aware the ears Matt used were original Jedi ones not ANH ones.

I'm really glad you guys are all chiming in on this. I was hoping you would know a little more than me but I wasn't expecting to hear so much. It's beginning to light that creative fire. You know what, now I'm wondering about my suit too. I still have it on it's original sheets untrimmed. It was sculpted by my friend and he pulled a bunch of these suits that were used by (I think) Lucasfilms for a Burger King or Taco Bell ad campaign, way back when they were first re-issuing the original three films. Can you say snowball?

matt aka TE found a screen used helmet from ROTJ. He took moulds of that helmet, and vac formed a run of helmets. A friend of his also did fibreglass casts from the moulds, this looks like one of those copies. The original run was over 10 years ago. As far as I'm aware the ears Matt used were original Jedi ones not ANH ones.

I beat you to it Joe. :dance:

I'm really glad you guys are all chiming in on this. I was hoping you would know a little more than me but I wasn't expecting to hear so much. It's beginning to light that creative fire. You know what, now I'm wondering about my suit too. I still have it on it's original sheets untrimmed. It was sculpted by my friend and he pulled a bunch of these suits that were used by (I think) Lucasfilms for a Burger King or Taco Bell ad campaign, way back when they were first re-issuing the original three films. Can you say snowball?

Really?!?! Do you have any photos?

They are in storage right now, but this weekend I'll try to take some and throw those up on here too. My friend who sculpted the armor bucks did not work for Lucas at all but somehow they contacted him for copies. I think, if I remember correctly, he had worn it to a local (Hollywood) costume party and someone saw it. So much time had passed since ROTJ that the other suits were all trashed or something and it was easier to use his than to make more? Now this is all hearsay and from my memory of events so I don't want to say anything is definite, but it is all interesting nontheless. I'm trying to remember when I got my suit and helmet and I'm pretty sure it was'96-'97. We were making all this in our spare time and it took some time to produce them all. I think we made five suits and I have no Idea how many were made for the ad campaign or when.

Oh i see. Did not know that. Well from what he told me,he used ANH ears, not ROTJ for this latest run of helmets.