zenix's ATA build[*ATA]

So, I have a spare room in my house that no one is renting right now, and i'm using it as my trooper room for the next few months...

I got the ATA kit, and have a bunch of tools...

My biggest issue is figuring out where exactly i should be trimming. Do i just follow the mold lines inside? what about to join up pieces... how much do i cut? I've read i should leave 1" for the strips, but i'm not sure.

I'm currently learning Picasa 3.5 and making an album that will be posted shortly...

Your ATA kit should have the strip sizes listed on one of the two flat sheets that came in the box. Trimming to fit will depend on your build. Make the front but joints the width of the strip and adjust the back to your build. I suggest you review all of the ATA build threads, there you will learn what to avoid and tricks to succeed. The arms are 5/8", the legs 7/8" and calf backs 1" for the strips. This is also the ridge width, if your thin you can make both side the same and add foam after assembly so your armor is not loose. I made all my strips correct and left more material on the back sides that butt together.

It is nice to see another ATA build in the works! B)

Measure twice, cut once.

For the most part I cut along the mold lines. Fitted every thing with painters tape and cut more cuz I'm a skinny twig boy.

One annoying mistake I did was cut to the mold lines on the ears for the bucket, it was actually to much and I had to order a new set.

And I agree christaan, it is nice to see more ata builds. I feel like we are the old men now.

Tk300s site is a great place for info.

http://www.tonybarnett.plus.com

yea, everyone says measure twice, cut once... i'm just not sure what to measure. i can measure the width to know how much to trim to make the pieces match up and be 7/8" width or whatever each is supposed to be, but what about the other dimension.. inside to match my arm or leg

I might be miss understanding you but are you asking how to get the armor to fit to your build?

If that's what your asking it's just as simple as putting the two pieces of the arm/thigh/calf around you and marking where you need to cut to get it snug with or with out foam that's up to you.

When I built my helmet, I left about 1 cm outside the lines, and try fit, took some away, try fit... you get the idea. ;)

Another tip is to look through reference photo and check the films again. It will help when how to trim and assemble. The helmets are very different and have their own small differents in assembly and details.

I'm not even thinking about the helmet yet, since i'm going to do that last. No matter what, should i be trimming the front butt joints to be the width indicated on the plastic that says the width of the strips?

I'm with you on that. I'm starting on my ATA kit and the helmet will be the last thing I work on. I did start trimming it though. Question on your helmet: Did you get some extra flashing clumped on the sides of your face plate? Mine's did. It might be hidden once I get the ears on but I may have to sand those clumps down.

I'm with you on that. I'm starting on my ATA kit and the helmet will be the last thing I work on. I did start trimming it though. Question on your helmet: Did you get some extra flashing clumped on the sides of your face plate? Mine's did. It might be hidden once I get the ears on but I may have to sand those clumps down.

nah i didn't trim anything on the helmet. i dont know what clumping you're talking about.

nah i didn't trim anything on the helmet. i dont know what clumping you're talking about.

Are you talking about webbing at the ends of the tubes?

That's pretty common.

Depending on where they are, you can probably trim them away.

• 1 month later...

So I haven't gotten that far since I haven't put a lot of time into it. I had someone put together the helmet for me, and it looks great. It is assembled, and that's it. It needs painting, bondo, decals and all that.

I assembled the fore arms, biceps and shins. the thighs are confusing for me. I want to make some significant progress in the next few weeks to really get this thing off the ground.

• 1 month later...

Ok i really worked a bunch the last two weeks. I finished up the sandtrooper radio model, and will begin production on that in 2 weeks, and I really knocked out a lot on my armor. I have everything together and ready for painting except for the belt. I need another package of snaps but can't go get them because of this baltimore/east coast blizzard. I've painted some pieces, some pieces are fine, and some need to be redone. I used a couple cans of white paint, and one can of dover white paint by mistake. I've found a place indoors where i can continue painting, since the weather here wont be warm enough for a while. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

still to do:

get another package of snaps for sides of armor, and to hold up biceps/forarms

buy canvas belt

buy neck seal

buy nomex gloves and attach handplates

paint

attach ammo pack to thigh, and sniper plate to shin.

make garter for thighs

detail helmet

glue conversion kit/paint blaster

its a lot to do, but i've come so far. i'd like to be finished by the end of the month. think i can do it?

My advices, do rush your build, just to meet a date...you have put a lot of time and work into a great kit. Make a check list of what needs to be done. Set an alotted time each day to work off the check list. Do not work when you are tried, that's usually when you make big misstakes...

its a lot to do, but i've come so far. i'd like to be finished by the end of the month. think i can do it?

Btw, you have done a great job mate!!

Hey Todd,

How about some updated pics of your progress? Good to see your still working on your kit. ATA is one of the harder builds, but the result is well worth the effort!

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on the type of paint you may be able to get the excess off by wiping it gently with a q-tip soaked with paint thinner. Don't rub too hard or you could damage the white paint too.

Hey Todd, Here is a tip from Paul that with help you with your chin: http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=1941

k, done almost everything. I'll post pics this weekend. I've gone over all the requirements and I'm pretty sure I can apply for EIB. only thing not complete is my holster, which has not been delivered yet. took 4 months, but really only 2-2.5 since I wasn't working on it at all in december and not much in nov. thanks to everyone who helped. mike harrison put together my bucket at charlie's armor party in november. scott helped me paint and some other little things. seth b showed me how to put together the pieces with the butt/strip method.

also, I was making this: http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=5991

DSCF1841.JPG

http://picasaweb.google.com/tblatt/ZenixATA02#

Edited by zenix