ATA helmets?

Troops,

I have been reading through ths forum over the past couple of weeks and since my absence from the "stormtrooper seen" I have noticed that there are now more helmets available other than the FX and MR, such as TE and ATA.

With that in mind, what are the best lids on the market today and where can I look at buying from, especially the TE buckets?

Also if any of you have any of these other lids, any chance of some pics ;)

Cheers,

Smally.

Hi. Heres my ATA:

---------

Which is best? Really tough question, as price and personal preference are factors. Many say the TE2 is the most accurate helmet around.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Which is best? Really tough question, as price and personal preference are factors. Many say the TE2 is the most accurate helmet around.

Hi NAZ,

Really nice lid dude! I'm jealous!

Any ideas where I can buy either a ATA or a TE from? I've searched the net but can't really find a place to purchase from!

Cheers,

Smally

ATA can be contacted at ATAworks@yahoo.com. (Heres a good thread to give you background to it:http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=7239&hl=question+ata)

TE, well I dont know any info on bying his helmets.

TE2, is made by XXXXXX, a cool guy. Hes around these boards.

Troopermaster or TM, a very nice guy, makes a helmet that is very popular, and hes on these boards.

JoeR are selling awesome looking ROTJ helmets. Hes also on these boards.

If I got anything wrong, then please correct me guys.

Cheers

Hi Brad,

There are many different helmets out there to choose from, it depends on how much time you want to devote to your helmet.

TE2 (Trooper Expert generation 2) is cast from two original screen used ANH stunt helmets. The material is styrene and will need to be sanded, primed and painted.

ATA (Affordable Troop Armor) is a recast of the TE2 helmet and I believe is the same material (styrene) and would also need to be sanded, primed and painted.

Then there are ABS (Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene) helmets out there, which do not need sanded, primed or painted, just assembled. ABS is a more rigid material than styrene, but tends to lose a little bit of detail. Depends on who is casting it.

AP (Accurate Props) which was also cast from molds from original stunt helmets.

TM (TroopMaster) fan sculpted, most screen accurate that is not a cast from any armor or helmet.

VT which is a recast or using the molds of CAP which was one of the helmet makers around here, but no longer cast.

There are others: Gino, D. Laws, PT (Pirate Trooper), FX, I could keep going on.

I hope this is some help and not confusing.

You might want to check out starwarshelmets.com link fan made stormtrooper helmets

And this video link under TE derived Armor (Building and Discussion) called TE2 Move Along build by TK-4510, VIDEOS

-------

Edited by gmrhodes13

RogueTrooper said:
You might want to check out starwarshelmets.com link fan made stormtrooper helmets

And this video link under TE derived Armor (Building and Discussion) called TE2 Move Along build by TK-4510, VIDEOS

-----------

Thanks for all this guys, it's really helpful stuff!

Rougetrooper - I've PM'd you mate, could you please let me know if you recieved it as I'm not sure if all my PM's are sending.

Thanks again troops!

Smally.

Edited by gmrhodes13

Brad-- Here's my ATA just after being painted:

---------

It's a super nice helmet, with great detail, but it's a little on the thin side.

I'm very happy with mine, but I definitely feel like I have to treat it a bit more delicately than my other helmets.

I think it's a great choice, particularly based on cost, but if you're someone who's a little harder on your armor, I would consider an ABS kit.

Edited by gmrhodes13

dougefresh said:

------

It's a super nice helmet, with great detail, but it's a little on the thin side.

I'm very happy with mine, but I definitely feel like I have to treat it a bit more delicately than my other helmets.

I think it's a great choice, particularly based on cost, but if you're someone who's a little harder on your armor, I would consider an ABS kit.

Man, thats one shiiiiny bucket!

Edited by gmrhodes13

ATA and TE are both very good helmets. I own an ATA and two TE2s and I can vouch for the quality of both if you are looking for as close to what is seen on screen I would go for TE2.

Here are my lids.

gallery_575_172_320564.jpg

Left from right: ATA (ANH Hero), TE2 (ANH Stunt), TE2 (ESB Stunt), Unknown Tour suit cast (ROTJ Hero)

They appear very close in size on that pic.

yes

but if you see it in real or wear it you´ll know the difference

the pic with my mobilephone is not very good

even the angle of the helmets and the shadows make them look similar

it would be cool if this forum had a gallery for each type of make and model.

Like ATA 2009

ATA 2008

where you could see all the helmet pictures people have taken and so on...

www.starwarshelmets.com

yeah..hmm I use it as a reference.... but there's a limited number of pictures.

I'm talking pictures from everyone on the forum categorized by make and year.

A lot of the makers modify their armor each year and seeing a 2001 helmet isn't the same as a 2009 one.

dougefresh said:

---------

What Paint ya use on that?

Edited by gmrhodes13

Topgun said:
What Paint ya use on that?

Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel.

Stuff's AWESOME.

I found out about it via Mike Harrison, and Mike TK-4510.

Geniuses, both.

Check out Mike's helmet thread here--------

Pretty much the definitive helmet tutorial.

Edited by gmrhodes13

This stuff, except white: :)

--------

Check out the tutorial I listed above, and follow it FANATICALLY. This paint is finicky as hell.

Edited by gmrhodes13

Check out the tutorial I listed above, and follow it FANATICALLY. This paint is finicky as hell.

Yep, yep, yep!

Follow the instructions / tutorial and it will be magic. Don't, and you also need to buy a lot of sandpaper. B)

Thanks for all this advice and pics guy's. I have been looking more into all this and have made up my mind that I really want a TE2 helmet next. I have PM'd a guy off of here who I was told may be able to help me out but have not yet heard back from him....

What is the going price for either kit form or completed for a TE2? I'm also interested if anyone has one up for sale (?)

Cheers troops,

Smally.