Dark_GTI04's ATA build[*ATA]

This looks like contamination, but it could be a number of things. You will need to wet sand the entire piece and repaint it. 2000 grit should work and allow you to end up with a nice finish. You want at least 3 coats of paint, this allows you to wet sand and/or polish out future scratches from trooping. My 2 credits, hope it helps.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4151337501_fe5318167f_m.jpg

shins trimmed, jointed together

Ā 

4151337579_b41cea1f9a_m.jpg

Shins painted and hanging to dry

Ā 

4151337669_2296f0963b_m.jpg

ATA Ceiling fan. Creative way to set aside and dry parts from paint. I need to clean my room there is no space on the floor or on my desk :P

Ā 

I have small ankles so on the right shin I was able to glue together the back of it and still be able to slide my foot in and out of. I can't do the same with the left though because the opening is not big enough.

CIMG0793.jpg

I put together the helmet finally. Most of my armor has been painted. I've been letting it sit as the paint cures. I was so nervous about working on the helmet, that is after all the centerpiece of the whole armor. I still need to reinforce the mic tip area with some epoxy putty. Much thanks to Mike's video tutorial on the helmet build.

CIMG0797.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I had to strip a few pieces and repaint them. I let them dry a day or two, then peeled as much as I could with my fingers, then sanded the rest off. Pain in the rump? yes. effective? yes.

Your doing an excellent job Daniel! I am having the same problem with my thiegh piece as well...my calf pieces are curing as I type, so the theighs, and lastly the thermal Det will be the last things to make on my suti. Naatsirhc's thread is the best tutorial I've come across in how to build a thermal detentator. The helmet looks fantastic, and great job on cutting the teeth :D I haven't been working on my trooper since October since my involvement in musical, and unforntantly I was cast as one of the giant roles so my building went to a stand still...but now I can get back to it. Keep up the good work!

CIMG0871.jpg

Rivets on the left side installed. I went ahead and used the silver ones I had and painted them.

CIMG0872.jpg

The shoulders and biceps were the first pieces that I actually finished. They've been done about two months ago.

CIMG0873.jpg

Right leg now has the "powerpack" riveted in place.

I'll have more time to work on it as the holiday season passes. I ordered a set of ab buttons from vaderdave.

One last thing. . .

CIMG0806.jpg

TM ESB hand plates. I sure would love to have a full set made of this stuff. ABS is so nice! :D

Yeah Thayne. After thinking about it, I decided to make this an ESB armor set. ESB is my favorite movie of the original trilogy PLUS its the 30th anniversary in 2010. I'll have opportunities to troop with this at Comic Con and Celebration V!

Wow, this has been a sleeper thread for me and I'm just reading it now. Kevin had a cool solution for the thighs - I'd say what ever you do won't really affect 501st or EIB that much - we have a long way to go before standards get that nit picky.ou

Ā 

This is a great build; man you guys are way ahead of where me & my mates were starting out in 2005.

Ā 

:duim:

• 2 weeks later...

Sewed up a belt with some white canvas material, just need to attach it to the belt piece and add velcro to the belt. I painted the helmet but have a bit of orange peel going on so I want to buff that stuff smooth.

Ā 

I have one of TM's ESB hand plates trimmed, need to start on the left one. I still haven't attached the shoulder bridges on the chest piece. I wanna wait till I have the TK boots and do a proper test fit with all the piece on. Also need to get a PVC pipe for the back belt cannister.

Ā 

I finally found a member on the 501st forum who had some CA boots for sale. I've been waiting forever for the new TK boots to be back in stock but I'm tired of waiting. PLUS, I ordered a hyperfirm ESB e-11. I can't wait for that thing :dancing-trooper:

Cannot wait to see more pics of your build.

Ā 

When you get ready to do your thermal detonator and want to be 100% accurate. 7 and 1/4 inches is the correct length...

Here are some pics and some measurements (that I borrowed from Billy (Thanks Billy!) of the back of an on screen suit to help you.

Ā 

BTS3.jpg

TDMesurements2.jpg

tmtdsmall2-1.jpg

TDMesurements3-1.jpg

Happy yet sad. I got a delivery from Hyperfirm. A T-21!!!!! BUT . . . it's not what I ordered. I ordered a E-11 ESB. Well, might as well pose with it before I send it back. Gonna take a lot of pictures & measurements before this goes away. HAHA :D

CIMG0927.jpg

This thing is SWEET!!!!

IMG_0262.jpg

Ā 

Made some progress with the thermal detonator while on my lunch break. Still need to paint the main tube, end caps and detail piece. I had some difficulty finding some good pieces of metal for the clips but found some 5" - 7" piping bracing at home depot that I'm gonna use.

Ā 

Thanks RogueTrooper for the detonator pics and measurements. Sure came in handy.