Pualdrons? When, where?

Okay, I have used the search to see if this as been discussed and I couldn't find it if it has.

It seems to me that in the movies the pualdron is only really used when Stormtroopers are out in public as a way for others

to recognize their rank. How they know rank with out them I don't know. Maybe there is something in their helmet that tells them. A visual marker only seen through the helmet or something audio. Any info on this?

God bless!

Only sandtroopers wear pauldrons. The only exception is the Heavy Weapons stormtrooper, an EU character.

A 501st TK wearing a pauldron screams "N00B!!!" Also, I don't know how it works in other garrisons, but my GML will flat-out reject any official TK submission photos if they are wearing a pauldron.

Only sandtroopers wear pauldrons. The only exception is the Heavy Weapons stormtrooper, an EU character.

A 501st TK wearing a pauldron screams "N00B!!!" Also, I don't know how it works in other garrisons, but my GML will flat-out reject any official TK submission photos if they are wearing a pauldron.

I'll admit, I love the look of the pauldron and was pretty sad when I got into this hobby more and found out that regular TK's aren't supposed to wear them. The general public doesn't know about this rule though. That being said, I am getting a black and white pauldron and will be wearing it on Halloween, since it won't be a 501st event. Gotta sneak it in sometime!

I never heard of the rank by ear marks! Ha, ear marks! :lol: Still plenty of that going on!

Is this true about an ear mark ranking system? Does not sound right to me. So, I take it that for the most part regular TK are for space such as ships and Death Stars etc. TD's and others are ground troops! Would that be a fair assumption?

Now, out side of the 501st evens and pictures you can do what you want and have fun with it. If it is for the 501st you should remain accurate right?

I saw in one of those Star Wars Visual dictionary books that said the pauldron is for "Stormtroopers" to show rank. I know, I know. Typo or the dude didnt know what he was writing. But I do like the way a TK looks with a pauldron. Oh well. :P

And remember, both are just bs extrapolations for costume design choices (pauldrons) and costume variations (ear marks) so do what ever makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. If you want to wear a pauldron, wear a pauldron just don't wear it in your official legion pictures or at canon events. Other than that, if anybody gives you static for it, tell em sit on it. Do what makes you happy, as long as its within the rules.

After all, that's where they decided to include the 501st Legion

Actually that was EPIII and the Visual Dictionary, that included Vader's Fist first.

I thought the video games such as Battlefront were considered canon

Thats a slippery slippery topic.

Canon as far as I've ever heard it is tiered, Canon A being what is used the most for 501st Costuming calls, that is anything in the movies or things offically eleveated to the tier by LFL, so far there is the following that they call canon- The Force Unleased, the Clone Wars movie and the currently CG Cartoon series.

Canon B is the offically sanctioned stuff, this is where Battlefront, all the EU etc falls.

Canon C is fan fic and alternate universe stories like "What If?" Styled comics from a few years ago of the original trilogy.

The heavy weapons trooper is accepted EU variant of TK armor, that is where you can have a TK with pauldron.

As far as an offical ranking? Other than the pauldron semi-ranks that I think hasbro did a number of years ago, there is no offical one, and I have heard the ear stripes where a rank system but I've never seen nor heard of a rank system guide applied to them.

Wear the uniform, have fun. If your at a non-canon event toss on your pauldron, if your not, and your not, don't.

There is a good discussion when George and the prop guy were in Tunisia and George asked how he'd be able to tell them apart rank-wise, and the prop guy gets these chest protectors. From there, Uncle George just put in the scenes whatever looked cool to him visually.

Remember this was back in the 70's when it was just one movie and no one thought about this for "realistic" effect like they do nowawadays, which is why officer ranks are all jumbled (e.g. no consistency in the movies).

Take all the "stuff" written later with a grain of salt. In the end it's a costume and you should wear whatever you like.

Pauldrons on stormtroopers is just not really supported or advised outside of cons, etc. First is the fact that in three of the OT movies we see not a single one with a pauldron, even though the Tatooine scenes were shot first. If pauldrons were intended on clean TK's, surely they would have been present for the rest of the three films.

Secondly, part of being a stormtrooper and the fear they inspire is *uniformity*, just like the Spartans used identical armor/helmets to strike fear in their opponents, as seeing a homogenous wave of violence coming at you made is seem more than human (as all humans are unique). So by adding a pauldron to the stormtrooper you're breaking away from the core of their essence.

Lastly some people wear them to set themselves apart from other TK's. I'll argue that there are a ton of canon ways to do that - one is going EIB when they do not. Another is picking another version such as ANH Hero, ESB, or ROTJ. You can also sport accessories, etc. that are all canon.

So I'm pretty confused when people put a pauldron on a TK. If you really want to stand out, why not sport a costume that's intended to do so, such as a sandtrooper, clone commander, etc.

So I'm pretty confused when people put a pauldron on a TK. If you really want to stand out, why not sport a costume that's intended to do so, such as a sandtrooper, clone commander, etc.

Best answer to the pauldron debate ever.

So, I take it that for the most part regular TK are for space such as ships and Death Stars etc. TD's and others are ground troops! Would that be a fair assumption?

In ROTJ, the Endor scenes, these are ROTJ TK's with no pauldrons. Thus the "spaceship/groundtroops" theory of pauldrons isn't totally correct.

I think the pauldrons were an added piece of melee armor for the badboys on tatooine. The color of the pauldron may indicate rank but my theory is that a pauldron itself is just additional armor to protect the trooper during those unsavory bar fights in the cantina.

why does it feel like I just said the same thing twice?

I think the pauldrons were an added piece of melee armor for the badboys on tatooine. The color of the pauldron may indicate rank but my theory is that a pauldron itself is just additional armor to protect the trooper during those unsavory bar fights in the cantina.

why does it feel like I just said the same thing twice?

Oh no not at all Smitty...hey have an other...... :pint1:

Great thread (I love these questions) but TK-8114 is right of course...

And remember, both are just bs extrapolations for costume design choices ...

I've heard it all, they show rank, the ear marks show rank, the pauldrons are only sandtroopers, they're for everyone, Lucas shaved his beard this week... I've heard it all.

Obviously you don't apply to get in the 501st with a pauldron on a TK, but our Squad Leader wears one now and then on his TK. It works. And in the EU / comics and stuff TKs are always wearing them.

I like to think more than "rank" it was a way of showing special training in a division. Sort of like berets. Green, red, black... they're all elite, but they mean different elite areas. So sure, a green beret will be "higher rank" than a normal marine, but maybe not in actual rank... just in training and expertise. This example works with the sandtroopers. They were, at least in part, one of detachments from Vader's ship, but it has been alluded to since that they were "specially trained."

So yeah, I like to think the pauldrons mean you had extra training in one area or another. B)

I think they are holdouts from the clone troopers and mean the same thing they do for clones. This is why not all sandtroopers had them (which in reality is just that they were background and the prop dept. didn't care as much about them), e.g. they were ARC trained.

Being ARC troopers makes a whole lot of sense - I'm sure the Empire would still have some. I mean, for a long time the pauldron signified something - it wouldn't all of a sudden change to be rank, when having rank externally displayed was totally unnecessary with stormtroopers, and also later clone troopers (e.g. EPII clones color was rank, but this was no longer the case by EPIII.

This is why I take issue with the TK Commander being designated as such - what in the world would possess them to adopt an identical funky color scheme. They should have designated the TK Commander something else, such as a particular unit designation just like in EPIII the clones are identical except for paint scheme.

Sometimes I wonder what the dudes writing for LFL or creating the toys are thinking - no logic behind the dross explanations at all, and much of the fan ones make so much more sense.

How they know rank with out them I don't know. Maybe there is something in their helmet that tells them. A visual marker only seen through the helmet or something audio. Any info on this?

I'd have to assume that the "real" Stormtroopers were something like us. After a while you can look at someone in armor, helmet on, and know who it is.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread...always loved the look of a Pualdron...but agree really looks best on Sandtroopers...saying that...I recently purchased a White and Black one for local events and not offical 501st events :rolleyes:(on a side note...when it came in thru the mail I noticed that customs tagged it as a baby bib..LOL :D ) ...anyways I think its like wearing a Sunday Tie :D

I also just completed a MG-15 so I will be ready if I choose to convert to a TD someday