Show me your shims

TK4869

I'm still deciding which way to shim my calves and thighs and have read up about all the different ways on how to do it and I gave almost decided which way.

The trouble is, having one way on paper doesn't necessarily look the way I think it will so would be grateful if some of you could post pics of your shims so I can compare the picture in my head with an actual pic :D I still haven't made my decision on which way so pics of all different types of shims would be great.

Thanks all

Anne

This isn't the best picture, considering my right thigh was falling off a little bit, but this is the only picture I have right now that shows my shims

R2SGZb6.jpg

I used a white trashcan for the material of my shims. The thigh shims are glued down on one side with E6000, and the other side is attached with velcro. I decided not to glue both sides since its easier for me to put them on this way.

My calve shims are also made from trashcans, and are velcroed into place on both sides. Basically its the same exact set up as shown here:

http://www.tonybarnett.plus.com/shims.html

Hope this helps!

I did mine pretty much the same and then I glued wider strips over the shim because the rest of my armor is all put together with glued strips. I will try to get some pics up!

I also followed Tony Barnett's tutorial to shim my calves, biceps, and forearms. The difference is my biceps and forearms are permanently glued on both sides - I just slide them on. The calf shims are glued one side, velcroed the other.

I used the extra plastic belt strips that came with my FX as my shim material.

I've tried the leg armour and to give me enough room for the fleshy bit :D the edges almost touch together so realistically I need only a cm gap to shim which is roughly the same with the thighs too. I was thinking of using the external shim method and basically adding a slightly wider strip of spare abs over the raised seam (FX), the under side of the over spill will have velcro on. The other side I will build up with another strip of abs then put velcro on that too so it will receive the velcro of the seam (hope that makes sense :huh: )

I was thinking of glueing the seam strip on then just securing it to the other side with velcro but a friend suggested I use velcro for both instead, so the alternative suggested would mean velcro on seam then on the other side of the calf, a strip of abs (to build up the other side to the same height) with velcro on as well the simply use another strip of abs with the velcro on the underside to stick on top of that.

Are their any advantages of either way to attach the external shim or is it just personal preference. The only thing I can think of is that velcroing on the seam strip rather than glue will make it stand slightly prouder. But at the end of the day its at the back and out of sight to most people so it probably won't be noticed.

Lol thats my over analyzing coming out again

I think wider cover strips look better than adding shims inside. At least this way the armour looks finished rather than seeing where the original piece finishes and leaves the extensions/shims exposed. The wider cover strips may not be screen accurate, but at least they look part of the armour. Just my personal opinion :)

I think wider cover strips look better than adding shims inside. At least this way the armour looks finished rather than seeing where the original piece finishes and leaves the extensions/shims exposed. The wider cover strips may not be screen accurate, but at least they look part of the armour. Just my personal opinion :)

That what I was thinking but didn't say it very well :mellow: What do you guys think about the glue v velcro solution? For blending in I think that glueing would be better, not much of a gap but do you guys think it would make much difference being at the back etc.