Problem with calve pieces/caboots

From all the reference photos that I've looked at, the calf piece overlaps the stormtrooper boots, however, when I put on my caboots and clamp the calve pieces together the opening of the boots are too large and I can't seem to get the calve piece around it. Will I have to shim the calve pieces together?

• 2 weeks later...

Have you considered tightly taping down the boots at the top? Also, in what order do you put your armor on? I put my calf armor on after my boots, and simply close it up around the top of the boot.

I have FX calves and size 10 Caboots and haven't had any trouble. I lined the inside of my calves with weather insulation strips.... it's like a sponge with adhesive on the one side. It keeps the pieces from sliding around on your legs. I also used it on all of my other pieces. It's great. I don't even use straps on my biceps. They are held in place with the foam strips by tension.

I have FX calves and size 10 Caboots and haven't had any trouble. I lined the inside of my calves with weather insulation strips.... it's like a sponge with adhesive on the one side. It keeps the pieces from sliding around on your legs. I also used it on all of my other pieces. It's great. I don't even use straps on my biceps. They are held in place with the foam strips by tension.

Hi,

Where did you get this spongy material with adhesive on one side? I don't have anything inside my pieces, they tend to slide around a lot.

Thanks mate.

Tom

I just roll black socks over the tops of the CA boot.

then I have white velcro all down the bottom side of them.

with the 25mm finishing strip of ABS the calves are

flush fit with the strip covering the gap.

I mounted the velcro so that it acts like a fabric

flap, extending the inside of the mounting so that

the parts all fit flush.

the 1/2 part of the velcro has very strong glue

and the glue from the back side of the overlap

leaves about 1/4" of velcro glueback sticking

to the back of my boots.

I'll probably have to either replace the velcro

glue with another kind of sticky tape.

using double sided white tape could work as well.

this arrangement keeps the shins in place really well and makes

them a good extention of the boot itself.

vern

I just roll black socks over the tops of the CA boot.

then I have white velcro all down the bottom side of them.

with the 25mm finishing strip of ABS the calves are

flush fit with the strip covering the gap.

I mounted the velcro so that it acts like a fabric

flap, extending the inside of the mounting so that

the parts all fit flush.

the 1/2 part of the velcro has very strong glue

and the glue from the back side of the overlap

leaves about 1/4" of velcro glueback sticking

to the back of my boots.

I'll probably have to either replace the velcro

glue with another kind of sticky tape.

using double sided white tape could work as well.

this arrangement keeps the shins in place really well and makes

them a good extention of the boot itself.

vern

This sure sounds like a good way to do it, but I lost you there about halfway. Some pictures would be great to see...

I have been battling the riding up calf pieces for a while, I think I have solved it for me

1. first I tried the weather stripping on the inside of the calf pieces to keep it tight.

2. then I tried velcro (hook on the outside of the boot, loop on the inside of the shin/calves armor)

3. the best method I have found is - I took 1 inch wide elastic about 10 inches length. I attached a small square of ABS (1 x 1 inch) to the elastic with a rivet, on each end of the elastic. then E6000 glue the abs squares inside the calf pieces forming a U shapped "stirrup", so that the bottom of the U is just at the opening to the ankle. I put my leg into the stirrup while holding the back of the calf open, then slide into the boot. There is enough stretch and tension with the elastic to keep it down very tight. I will take pics when I can - may be a couple weeks though. I hope the explanation is clear.

I have been battling the riding up calf pieces for a while, I think I have solved it for me

1. first I tried the weather stripping on the inside of the calf pieces to keep it tight.

2. then I tried velcro (hook on the outside of the boot, loop on the inside of the shin/calves armor)

3. the best method I have found is - I took 1 inch wide elastic about 10 inches length. I attached a small square of ABS (1 x 1 inch) to the elastic with a rivet, on each end of the elastic. then E6000 glue the abs squares inside the calf pieces forming a U shapped "stirrup", so that the bottom of the U is just at the opening to the ankle. I put my leg into the stirrup while holding the back of the calf open, then slide into the boot. There is enough stretch and tension with the elastic to keep it down very tight. I will take pics when I can - may be a couple weeks though. I hope the explanation is clear.

Thanks Derek, that sounds like a good way to do it. I'll give the U-stirrups a try. Good explanation mate!