It's all recast

TK4205

PhewwWWW its a hard one, in a way i have promise my self not to talk more about this issue, because it kills the fun in this great hobby.

I guess only LFL have the rights to there suits, in this case storm/sandtrooper suits/helmets/body parts.

But just one screen used helmet, cost more then most of the poole on earth can afford.

So our childhood dream stops there <_< .

So when TE buy screen used ANH helmets + ROTJ suit.

Sells copies/recast of it to us all as full ROTJ suits, and modify ANH full suits.

I must say go for it, and thanks to the man :) .

And i guess only TE back then got the rights to do if for us all, because he buy the screen used stuff.

Later he sell the molds to TE2, so i guess only TE2 got the rights to the TE/ANH mold suits.

(i´m not 100% sure what happen whit the GF issue back then, but i think he got a green light from TE to modify he´s ROTJ suit to a ANH suit.

GF and TE deal fade out, not sure good or bad.

And GF sold he´s molds to AP, there modify them more ANH accurate again.

There have been some talk of a TE face plate recast, but i´m not sure.

And not sure if GF/AP, it a so called lawful/not a recast suit to buy, but i think its a ok suit to buy/support i guess)

I also thinks its lawful to use your own eyes/hands, like TM have done it for us all over the last 8 years or so.

And now sell a super ANH accurate storm/sandtrooper suit for us all.

I guess the upcoming Dan Laws storm/sandtrooper suits will be lawful/not a recast too (when they comes that is)

Because he´s new suit/work is based on a screen used 3D scan helmet, and new body part molds made up from the ground.

Based on the TE LFL archive ANH suit cd around 200 shots, and Dan Laws old TE mold work.... or something.

Peace out :)

(please don´t take my words for facts, i just try to post something to the topic, and do not need a world war 3.

I think too many forums have too many recast wars lately)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really sickens me when i see the comments made by Nathan and it sickens me more when i see the people that agree with him.

BTW, for those of you using the "Uncle George is watching us" line. You can let that scare tactic go. He will never shut the 501st down. Why shut down a group of fans that promote your stuff for free???? That would be a stupid move, dont you think? He doesnt have to pay for armor and he doesnt have to pay for actors. We keep SW in the public eye and its all free for him! Your scare tactics are a lame excuse to try and put a damper on recasting discussions and possible solutions.

Why shut us down? Licensed armor makers making good armor. Legal issues with this organization and its "suppliers". Pretty good reason. Gorge doesn't need good press. :rolleyes:

We as a group have lost touch. Propmakers and prop buyers all together. Nowhere did I say bootlegs will go away. The discussion will never go away. But advertising, open runs and waving it in others faces might and probably will. Disagree with me. Must have struck a nerve.

Ill stay on the line Paul has drawn... Ill just put on my T shirt.

Why shut us down? Licensed armor makers making good armor. Legal issues with this organization and its "suppliers". Pretty good reason. Gorge doesn't need good press. :rolleyes:

We as a group have lost touch. Propmakers and prop buyers all together. Nowhere did I say bootlegs will go away. The discussion will never go away. But advertising, open runs and waving it in others faces might and probably will. Disagree with me. Must have struck a nerve.

Ill stay on the line Paul has drawn... Ill just put on my T shirt.

Licensed armor makers making good armor?? Thats an oxymoron if i ever heard one. I guess youd be proud to wear Rubies TK armor then, huh? Besides, even if quality licensed armor was available, he would still need the 501st to turn to when he needs publicity. So again, the scare tactic is not working.

You put on your T shirt and i'll put on mine............

pic deleted

I'm quite enjoying it! I love a good discussion.......A few seem to take this discussion too personally and to seriously. I know it sucks to have your work ripped off and I don't defend those that do it but as had been said no-one in this hobby copying studios or licensed work has any rights period. we can take a morel stance but I afraid that's it.....

Would it be a good idea to start a list of recasters, and possibly some kind of experience / rating system on their goods? Obviously, no contact information would be displayed or encouraged? Possibly a list of legit armor makers and known recasters?

If it's something like:

"Company X"

- known to recast XYZ armor and ABC helmets

- poor communication

- known Ebay seller

- etc..

I was just reading the "ebay armor" thread and thought for new people getting into the hobby, they might not know that someone is a recaster. Also, it's rather confusing in terms of armor maker history, and who got what from where, where these molds orginated, etc..

Would this help people make better decisions?

Would it be a good idea to start a list of recasters, and possibly some kind of experience / rating system on their goods?
And promote their wares?

Nah. Even if you left off the contact details, they'd be found. Same goes for listing the 'real' guys. While we as a detachment promote their stuff, it's probably not wise to start advertising.

And promote their wares?

Nah. Even if you left off the contact details, they'd be found. Same goes for listing the 'real' guys. While we as a detachment promote their stuff, it's probably not wise to start advertising.

I agree. There is already far too much focus on the negative side of this hobby on this forum. Let's talk about the positives and stop re-hashing the same old is it ok to recast boring threads.

Joe

I agree. There is already far too much focus on the negative side of this hobby on this forum. Let's talk about the positives and stop re-hashing the same old is it ok to recast boring threads.

Joe

Couldnt agree more onwards and upwards ;) ,i believe in making people aware of recasters , but lets not let it suck the love and fun out of what we do :peace:

Thanks for the feedback guys, I understand. It’s not that I was suggesting to create contact info to promote recast products, more like a listing to make people aware of who is a recaster and who isn’t. I find it somewhat vague in that recasting info is sometimes buried deep in threads. Would it be better to bring it to the forefront, that way people avoid them? And if people don't know who is recasting, how would they know?

Kind of like:

"Known quality armorers":

- Company A

- Company B

- Company C

"Known Recasters":

- Company X

- Company Y

- Company Z

As least this might help educate people to make the right choices?

I am sure your intentions are good but the reality is that there just isnt a consensus of opinion on this matter.

One of the best quotes I heard over all the years was "its not recasting if it's me/my friend doing it"

Bottom line is its one great big grey area and we all have our own views on where to draw the line between right and wrong.

The only thin I would say from experience is that I've seen the supply of new replica props (cast off original props) dry up over recent years. Its just not worth the time, effort and cost of replicating an original prop to then just have some asswipe buy one and make loads of dupicates.

I've heard all the stories about "doing it for the good of the hobby", "improving on what was previously done", "only covering my costs", "just making them for my mates", "only LFL owns this anyway". Ultimately its down to them trying to make cash or a name for themselves or both). Whatever it is IMO the laissez faire attutute in certain quarters has harmed the hobby as a whole. More stormtrooper helmets but less other helmets :(

Cheers

Jez

Whatever it is IMO the laissez faire attutute in certain quarters has harmed the hobby as a whole. More stormtrooper helmets but less other helmets :(

Don't know if I agree with that. In the last 2 1/2 years we have seen several screen derived Vader helmets become available. Five years ago the GH as a top of the line Vader helmet, and now it's not that desirable unless it's from the master run. With the dawn of the DJ, the three TM versions, SL, and TD Vader helmets the bar has been raised incredibly high in Vader land and these highly sought helmets do come up for sale occasionally. If this is the results of the last 2 years of progress for Vader, which is the mountains peek of SW costuming, I still see a bright future ahead for the prop community as a whole.

Recasters and the guys that make crummy armor will always have a group of buyers simply because of the fact that the suppliers we all know about TE, TE2, AP are hidden. If you don’t have the secret handshake and the prerequisite amount of posts next to your name then getting any armor from them is impossible. If a noob came on this site and wanted to purchases some armor and begin down the glorious road that is Star Wars costuming he or she would be virtually unable to do so. That is why the recasters on the dreaded Ebay will have a market until we let loose a bit. If you think that old uncle George is going to go to Hawaii and sue TE2 or Beaverton and arrest TE then I must say you’re a bit on the paranoid side, (no personal attack or snarkiness meant there, just an opinion of the attitude show toward a set of circumstances). Look either we open up and let others into this hobby or we stay elitists. Me, I’m for the common man.

Mabye the 'hoops' are there to see who's really interested in joining the 501st, of becoming part of something, not just looking for a halloween costume. Most people that are here, are here because they really love SW, and the TK especially. Perhaps the small amout of effort that is needed to find out who does what separates those people from the afore mentioned Halloween costumers. Just my thoughts. I don't know of any 'elitists' here. I've only been here a few months, and everyone's been awesome to me, and any other new people I've seen.

!If you think that old uncle George is going to go to Hawaii and sue TE2 or Beaverton and arrest TE then I must say you’re a bit on the paranoid side, (no personal attack or snarkiness meant there, just an opinion of the attitude show toward a set of circumstances). Look either we open up and let others into this hobby or we stay elitists. Me, I’m for the common man.

I think you'll find SDS would disagree with you on that one! :D: