It's all recast

TK4205

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, it is all recast, but I think the point of the topic area is to have a place to put all re-caster threads. Also to warn people of casters out there that are recasting other people's work and passing it off as their own (usually at a much poorer quality standard)

yes, it is all recast, but I think the point of the topic area is to have a place to put all re-caster threads. Also to warn people of casters out there that are recasting other people's work and passing it off as their own (usually at a much poorer quality standard)

Quality. Very good point. I missed that one.

Who among us holds a license or legal interest in stormtrooper armor?

Quality.Honesty. Respect ; These are the things I look for.

You appreciate exactly the reason this section is necessary. :salute:

Okay I'll bite for the sake of a discussion.

What is the general opinion if someone improves on a design. Let say takes a part and improves the apperance or improves the mold to make a better detailed piece. (ex: Helmet,chest plate detail, shoulder bell edges )

Would this be considered recast?

Does the person have to start from scratch to be a original cast?

Off the top of my head.... someone uses a helmet that is already out there then cleans it up. Makes it really sharp puts all the bells and whistle to improve the look makes a mold from thier improved piece. Casts a buck, pulls the helmet.

Recaster?

What say yee? :duim: or :duimomlaag:

This is a dangerous section. :angry: I don't like it at all. Not the debate, but the fact its here. This is a trooping community, not a prop one, and at that one that is tentative to even be here. Leave it to the "propsafe" drum beaters. :rolleyes:

I know I have been slammed for my views before, backed the wrong horse once... but really...

This is just going to get ugly.

I have been around long enough now to have seen both sides, have my opinion changed and everything else. When Uncle Gorge pulls the plug... WE LOSE.

This just adds fuel to that fire.

If you all don't think he is watching... your all naive. This IS his paycheck. I say we SHUT UP and TROOP. ALL armor makers need to remember that none of us have a license. That means, short and sweet, no room to complain at any level. If you want to get a set of big boy pants that comes with the license.

Yes, go to those you trust. Never changed that view I have. Thing is WE as a community are getting far far to bold.

WE HAVE NO RIGHTS. NONE. Modified, improved, cast, recast, sold the "rights", sculpted, CNC'd, paprikura, based on... any other excuse I can think of. Bla Bla Blah. Its all not yours.

No one can stop recasting. The Pandora's box is open. Education is the key. Quality and trust yes... top notch. That comes through research and talking to troopers that know things. Ebay is flat out evil, but again... LFL is gracious enough to let us even sell stuff. Try that with DC or Marvel. Good luck.

We have lost our minds. Dig a bomb shelter. Hide. PM only. No Origin threads at any level. That is my vote.

Bootleg is bootleg.

I was thinking, why doesn't Lucas consult with some of the armor makers in the community and create a marketable set of armor with them? Not only would he be able to sell a product that we can all accept regardless of of our individual favored armor maker, but I'm sure his suits sitting in the vault have degraded somewhat over the years, and it would also, in a sense, give us our "license" to troop. Therefore, everyone benefits.

When you boil it all down, regardless of all armor making and trooping, we owe GL a huge debt of gratitude. His vision gives our life purpose.

This is a dangerous section. :angry: I don't like it at all. Not the debate, but the fact its here. This is a trooping community, not a prop one, and at that one that is tentative to even be here. Leave it to the "propsafe" drum beaters. :rolleyes:

I know I have been slammed for my views before, backed the wrong horse once... but really...

This is just going to get ugly.

I have been around long enough now to have seen both sides, have my opinion changed and everything else. When Uncle Gorge pulls the plug... WE LOSE.

If you all don't think he is watching... your all naive. This IS his paycheck. I say we SHUT UP and TROOP. ALL armor makers need to remember that none of us have a license. That means, short and sweet, no room to complain at any level. If you want to get a set of big boy pants that comes with the license.

Yes, go to those you trust. Never changed that view I have. Thing is WE as a community are getting far far to bold.

WE HAVE NO RIGHTS. NONE. Modified, improved, cast, recast, sold the "rights", sculpted, CNC'd, paprikura, based on... any other excuse I can think of. Bla Bla Blah. Its all not yours.

No one can stop recasting. The Pandora's box is open. Education is the key. Quality and trust yes... top notch. That comes through research and talking to troopers that know things. Ebay is flat out evil, but again... LFL is gracious enough to let us even sell stuff. Try that with DC or Marvel. Good luck.

We have lost our minds. Dig a bomb shelter. Hide. PM only. No Origin threads at any level. That is my vote.

Bootleg is bootleg.

Couldn't agree more! B)

So very true!

I think the topic area exists as much as a warning area for new troopers as a place to discuss recasting. Or at least it shoud serve that purpose. I think have an area to say "stay away from this seller, or that seller because their work is crap" is a good idea, and should be fostered by those that have the experience and knowledge to know who make crap, and who doesn't.

Actually the 501st does have rights. We're OK to make armor for our own use. Secondly, even if the prop makers don't have any legal rights, we're people after all and should follow common human customs of honesty, transparency, and respect.

And if TM spend hundreds of hours sculpting something, or OSCS or whomever - should we not respect their labors? I believe to say there are no rules in this community - is basically telling any prop maker that they are 100% on their own, and no one gives a crap about their hard work.

I can't seem to find the morality or community in that. Thus, I do believe that there should be at least some common ground rules, and as we're all in the gray area it's up to us to define what those are. I believe we can and should support rules that encourage prop makers and prop making. So does everyone else, the crux seems to be getting consensus on what those are.

Thus it comes down to our innate morality and ethics to decide what those should be. This forum, as part of the 501st Legion, and the 501st Legion as a whole, does have established guidelines. And, so do other areas of the prop making community outside of the 501st. Lastly, there are some communities that have no rules whatsoever.

We are free men and women. We can choose which communities we like to participate in, and as a community who is part of that membership.

Actually the 501st does have rights. We're OK to make armor for our own use. Secondly, even if the prop makers don't have any legal rights, we're people after all and should follow common human customs of honesty, transparency, and respect.

And if TM spend hundreds of hours sculpting something, or OSCS or whomever - should we not respect their labors? I believe to say there are no rules in this community - is basically telling any prop maker that they are 100% on their own, and no one gives a crap about their hard work.

I can't seem to find the morality or community in that. Thus, I do believe that there should be at least some common ground rules, and as we're all in the gray area it's up to us to define what those are. I believe we can and should support rules that encourage prop makers and prop making. So does everyone else, the crux seems to be getting consensus on what those are.

Thus it comes down to our innate morality and ethics to decide what those should be. This forum, as part of the 501st Legion, and the 501st Legion as a whole, does have established guidelines. And, so do other areas of the prop making community outside of the 501st. Lastly, there are some communities that have no rules whatsoever.

We are free men and women. We can choose which communities we like to participate in, and as a community who is part of that membership.

Agreed.

I agree with Nate. This is the D.Y.I forum inserted into the FISD. Again, bad decision by leadership...<-----IMO

Could not agree more.

If there were not enough prop makers unwilling to sell to the 501st members before there will certaoinly be more now once this area becomes known about.

Great post!

As Paul said, even though the horse has bolted lets at least have some respect for others work.

Whereas some people have invested time and money in the helmets and armor they have produced, others have merely ridden on their backs.

Cheers

Jez

This forum isn't about LFL rights. It's about making informed choices about where and who you get your armour from. This forum is here for all to see, so they know exactly what the recast debate is and what it's about warts and all. This forum is here because our hand was forced by the recent upsurge in recast producers and their supporters.

If you don't like, or understand what we're trying to do, then please feel free to use all the other boards and forget to check this one.

:salute:

I agree with Nate. This is the D.Y.I forum inserted into the FISD. Again, bad decision by leadership...<-----IMO
The alternative is just let all the recast threads fire blunderbuss stylee all over the boards, exploding at regular intervals, leaving the staff to run about cleaning up the mess. Leaving new members upset and confused as to what's causing such contentious posts and arguments. At least here, the explosions are contained and everyone knows what to expect when they walk in the door of the Trash Compactor.

Also, there's no need to blame 'the leadership' in totality, Mike; I take full responsibility for this proposal and action. :D