For the ladies out there, I just have to ask this...

bluehickey

I've seen a number of female members here who have full sets of stormtrooper armor and who wear it proudly. I'm not against them wearing it, but I just have to ask what the motivation is?

This question is not posed out of disrespect, I just would love to get some insight into why some women choose to be a stormtrooper which is essentially a male character's costume?

For example, the public generally understands stormtroopers as being male, do you get weird reactions when you speak and people hear a female voice coming from under the helmet? :huh:

I've seen a number of female members here who have full sets of stormtrooper armor and who wear it proudly. I'm not against them wearing it, but I just have to ask what the motivation is?

This question is not posed out of disrespect, I just would love to get some insight into why some women choose to be a stormtrooper which is essentially a male character's costume?

For example, the public generally understands stormtroopers as being male, do you get weird reactions when you speak and people hear a female voice coming from under the helmet? :huh:

Surprising as it might be women share many of the same interest as men, when I told my wife I wanted to embark on this expensive venture I was expecting her to cring and say no -- instead she said fine, but I get one after you learn how to do it.

Whats the motivation men have to done the armour? I can't see its any different than mine, despite whats published men and women aren't from different planets :D. I've known some men (ok not very many) who have expressed an interested in costuming up as Boushh which is essentially known and Leia, so I could ask whats the motivation behind that?

For me its not about being a male character its about being a stormtrooper. I've seen kids be amazed that there is a person underneath the armour when they see a non balaclaved chin :lol: If I really was the wrong shape and size for a trooper then I wouldnt have done it but there are lots of guys that are my height and weight. For instance, I'm definitely not thin enough to be slave leia so I don't event conemplate it :D

As far as the reactions I get, can only speak for the Scout atm but in general I try to deepen my voice (the electronic gizmo helps), not walk in a feminine way etc but there are some signs that I can't change like my height (5'4") and small feet and yes I am recognized as female about 25% of the time and I feel it detracts from the character I am trying to project but I usually give the reply "The Empire is an equal opportunities employer" :lol:

Obievon said:
I think it would be a pleasant surprise. Who wants to hang around Dudes all the time?

That's pretty much how I feel about it. :wub:

bluehickey said:
. . . the public generally understands stormtroopers as being male, do you get weird reactions when you speak and people hear a female voice coming from under the helmet? :huh:

That happened on a troop I did this past weekend. An adult male who looked like he was in his mid-50s, after spending some time chatting up one of our female TKs (which of course he didn't realize), actually said "thank you sir" before leaving. :lol:

There are actually some troops that our female troopers (TK or otherwise) generally stay away from, due to the likelihood of receiving unwelcome attention from overly-enthusiastic female fans. Our Beachstreet USA troop is probably the best example. Most of the time the general public can't tell who's in the armor. However, there are some troopers who, costume or not, ooze femininity without even trying. I've seen fan reactions ranging from "OMG - you're a girl!" to "Hey, wanna party with us later on?"

When the attention happens, they typically just shrug it off. Afterwards, we all have a good laugh about it. :lol:

One of my favorite photos from Beachstreet USA. Dangerous work, but someone has to make the Empire safe. ;)

IMG_0332.jpg.723323b02f51171ced31805adbe7270c.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

LOL Brian. :D

There are some of us "girls" that have the same interest as you guys. ;) But still good question and no harm in asking.

My answer, Cause it's fun! and like Ann I am not of the skinny body type for the Slave Leia and no one wants to be seeing any of that. Even when my Dad was visiting this summer and I showed him my Helmet he just chuckled and shook his head.

lol as for me I am kind of bipolar on what my fandoms are...I mean as a child I tend to like the boyish things cause well they were cool...

I kind of was like a tom boyish person as a child so I kinda grew up liking swords, armor, and well general cool things

for example here is my case of fandome

gundam_galor_by_utenafangirl.jpg

as you can see yes I do have my little ponies up there and yes I have gundams down there and a meld inbetween

....when i first got to wear my armor fully...the first thing I said was...

How_girly_can_one_trooper_be_by_utenafangirl.jpg

"Muhahaha the Empire will strike back with lollipops and plushies!"

Actually, I always loved the stormtrooper costume...but I am completing my TIE Pilot first (waiting on a couple of ordered details to add) because I always wanted to fly :tie: and they dress in black. :ph34r: Why couldn't some of the stormtroopers have been female? Remember, back in 1977 when ANH came out, women weren't serving in the military in combat roles...30 years later they are. Also, I have never seen myself as a typical woman, not into dolls, really dislike wearing dresses (unless formal ones or for a specific reason), would rather shop electronics stores than clothing stores, and have a real thing for anything mechanical. I am planning on completing not only a TK but also a TX version (black again). I'm already modding my Hasbro blaster to meet ANH EIB standards.

I am not a Princess Leia type person anyway. My figure would never be her figure, and although I'm "a little short for a stormtrooper" (5'4") I think it is really fun. Besides you get to wear armor, bring smiles to people, meet great people, and have FUN!!!! Oh yeah, and carry a rather large "hand" weapon. :Laser: What more could you ask for?

One other note, George Lucas was asked in an interview not long after ANH was released about the dearth of women stormtroopers. He replied (and you can get the actual quote from the book The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive Story Behind the Original Film: based on the lost interviews from the official Lucasfilm archives by J.W. Rinzler) that although there were no women stormtroopers on the Death Star, that didn't mean there weren't others serving throughout the Empire.

A long answer, but one to a legitimate question.

I just came upon this one.

Why be a stormtrooper if you're a girl? I can't always follow the herd nor what other people think is the correct role for a female.

I am not exactly the Princess Leia type. Me as Leia would be, if not scary, then quite unsightly. :lol:

I have always liked the stormtroopers. At 5'9", I am not that much shorter than the other TKs. It does not bother me that folks think I may be a guy. I work in a male dominated industry, and until recently, I played a contact sport (co-ed ice hockey - goalie). So no fuss in my book.

A lot of times it's the kids who catch on the TK is not a guy. It does not appear to bother them.

I just put on the armor, go out and have fun. B)