Coming Soon: Another ATA build[*ATA]

Alright, I took the plunge and ordered a new bucket to replace my FX. I just trooped with it over the weekend and didn't mind it up until then but after six hours, yeah, it does get a little clunky. So my new ATA arrives on Wednesday and I'll be posting a LOT of pics to make sure I'm doing everything ok.

On a side note, I rushed to get my FX thighs done and ended up riveting them to my belt just to hold them for the day. Also got some nice little cracks in my calves from this wonderful frigid Minnesota weather. Can anyone PM RT-Mod's info so I can get some new thighs and calves?

Ok, finally, picture time. I haven't made a whole lot of progress since I've been pretty busy lately. I've got one ear cut out and ready for sanding. I'm going for more of a stunt look and I'm still trying to get the cap'n'back positioning figured out for that. I used clamps to hold it in place while I tried to get it attached but whenever I DID get it attached it seemed to loosen up on me. :mellow: Can't seem to get it the way I want it.

ATABucket1_50.jpgATABucket002_50.jpgATABucket003_50.jpgATABucket004_50.jpgATABucket004_50.jpg

Lookin' good!

If you're going for the Stunt look, I'd tilt the faceplate forward just a little more, to raise the brow a bit.

Then again, I'm obsessed with troopers with a higher-brow, so take my advice with a car-sized grain of salt. :)

Lookin' good!

If you're going for the Stunt look, I'd tilt the faceplate forward just a little more, to raise the brow a bit.

Then again, I'm obsessed with troopers with a higher-brow, so take my advice with a car-sized grain of salt. :)

The look you're talking about it exactly what I want. I'm just having trouble getting the faceplate to sit tightly against the cap whenever I try to attach it. I mean I almost want "Move Along" kind of brow. :D

The look you're talking about it exactly what I want. I'm just having trouble getting the faceplate to sit tightly against the cap whenever I try to attach it. I mean I almost want "Move Along" kind of brow. :D

Dude-- we are totally on the same page then! :D

It's completely possible to achieve that look with an ATA-- you just have to fiddle with it.

The faceplate needs to sit a little lower in the cap-n-back, and be tilted forward.

You can also trim a little curve into the brow line, so that it arcs up over the eyes a bit.

Just BE CAREFUL. Only remove a *small* amount at a time, until you get the curve you want.

The only downside is that you might end up with a small gap between the left ear and the cap.

Just like the Dave M helmet. :)

Do a search here for GundamZepplin and check out his rig. I think he NAILED the high brow look.

I tried to get my ATA to look like his. :D

And of course, Mike Harrison's Sandtrooper is just about the coolest thing on planet earth, so you might wanna look him up on the MEPD site too. :)

You should probably watch Mike(4510)'s move along bucket build tutorial. He makes exactly the look you are describing. I found this the most helpful when putting my bucket together.

You should probably watch Mike(4510)'s move along bucket build tutorial. He makes exactly the look you are describing. I found this the most helpful when putting my bucket together.

Good call, Christaan!

Looks good!

Do you know what gauge the ATA styrene is?

Here are some of the gauges of the different armor out there:

SDS/AA 0.060 / 1.5mm

AP 0.080 / 2.00mm

TE/TE2 0.090 / 2.25mm

FX 0.090 / 2.25mm

TM I don’t have that info

ATA I don’t have that info

Thanks Paul for the gauge on your TM armor.

Cheers!

Do you know what gauge the ATA styrene is?

Here are some of the gauges of the different armor out there:

SDS/AA 0.060 / 1.5mm

AP 0.080 / 2.00mm

TE/TE2 0.090 / 2.25mm

FX 0.090 / 2.25mm

TM 0.080 / 2.0mm ABS

ATA I don’t have that info

I got one of those too recently. What's your take on the area of the helmet where the mic tips go? Rather thin don't you think. How did you/are you going to reinforce that area? I know I read a post some where on this forum about using cloth saturated with krazy glue or using epoxy putty. I have leftover putty from my Fett helmet which I think I'll use.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I'm having some problems getting my bucket finished up. Painting won't be a problem, it's the assembly that's making me too scared to even work on it. I'm having trouble getting my faceplate to sit right. I like a high-brow and the problem I'm having is that when I get the brow to where I want it, the front of the cap'n'back sticks out A LOT right above the eyes. Is this problem remedied once I get the ears on? Advice? Suggestions?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I haven't trimmed down the top of the faceplate yet. Other than cutting out the eyes and teeth I haven't cut a thing on the faceplate, so if I trim down the top will that help alleviate my issue? Don't want to do any unnecessary cutting. :huh:

Ok so I'm having some problems getting my bucket finished up. Painting won't be a problem, it's the assembly that's making me too scared to even work on it. I'm having trouble getting my faceplate to sit right. I like a high-brow and the problem I'm having is that when I get the brow to where I want it, the front of the cap'n'back sticks out A LOT right above the eyes. Is this problem remedied once I get the ears on? Advice? Suggestions?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I haven't trimmed down the top of the faceplate yet. Other than cutting out the eyes and teeth I haven't cut a thing on the faceplate, so if I trim down the top will that help alleviate my issue? Don't want to do any unnecessary cutting. :huh:

It sounds like you need to cut the top of the faceplate so it can sit closer to the cap. To get the raised brow you want to tilt the face.

Have you watched the TK-4510 tutorials? I felt the same way when I started to cut but theese helped alot!

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=6353

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=2066

My advice would be to use a promodel helmet (real one is coolest imo) and try to get the look of that. Go slow, cut little by little.

Hope that gave any tips!

Edit: I missed that you allready used the tuts.

I got one of those too recently. What's your take on the area of the helmet where the mic tips go? Rather thin don't you think. How did you/are you going to reinforce that area? I know I read a post some where on this forum about using cloth saturated with krazy glue or using epoxy putty. I have leftover putty from my Fett helmet which I think I'll use.

Sounds crazy but use plain old Elmers glue. Just drip it in and let it dry in a few coats you get awsome results!

What's your take on the area of the helmet where the mic tips go? Rather thin don't you think. How did you/are you going to reinforce that area?

Here's a how I reinforced my aerator sockets

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=8686

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the major assembly is done, no pics yet, but I'll have them up asap. It came together pretty wonky and I think I'll need some filler for the ears (or a new set) since they have a pretty good sized gap between them and the bucket. I got my brow the way I want it tho so that came out good. :D All in all, not a bad experience for a first time.

Ok, the main problem I'm having is with the right ear not lining up properly. That, and it cracked. I'm gonna order another pair from ATA and retry, unless you guys think it's fixable with some putty.

DSC00451.jpg

DSC00452.jpg

DSC00453.jpg

DSC00454.jpg

DSC00455.jpg

DSC00450.jpg

Critique away! :duim::peace:

Other than the right ear :6: your bucket is looking good :smiley-sw013:

Try lowering it a just little at first. If you have any of the Styrene left over from your bucket,. glue the styrene to the inside of the ear that you want to fill in, then use the putty to smooth the look of it.

If you don't have any material left from the helmet. You can go to either Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart and buy the "FOR SALE" signs to use as an alternative.